"I am sensitive to color."

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

"I am sensitive to color."

We have blocked most future dates on our calendar as we are thinking about selling and trying to make a plan. We do have one string of dates available in March. Booking has been slower than usual. I got an inquiry last night for a few of the available dates that said:

"Hi my name is X. I am interested in your space for a few days in the spring (gave blocked dates.) I wonder if they are available. I am a color sensitive. Do you have any bright or harsh colors anywhere in your cabin? Would it be possible to remove them during my stay? Thank you and I look forward to your reply."

We have had inquiries from smell sensitive folks, noise sensitive, light sensitive, but never someone who is color sensitive. As an amateur artist I think of myself as quite color sensitive, but its by no means debilitating. Has anyone else heard of such a thing? 

18 Replies 18
Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@Laura2592  please don’t ever stop hosting, what would we do without your reservation enquiry stories? 

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Hard…. I mean easy pass.

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

The clinical side of me says this: In my entire history I have only had one patient that was actually afraid of a particular color (White) which is referred to as Leukophobia. Chromophobia (Fear or intense dislike of colors) is extremely rare and is typically a result of other stressors induced by that color. For example a lot of individuals with PTSD suffer from Chromophopia because the relate the traumatic events to certain colors (Ex. red=blood)

The non clinical side of my says this:  If he is just "sensitive" as in he does not like colors that are aesthetically pleasing to him, that is not a disorder and he is knit picking. Do you really want to take on a guest who is going to call you saying they are offended by the shade of orange in your house and need to leave? 

I think you dodged a bullet by declining 

Normen0
Level 10
Canada

@Laura2592My initial response to this is “Are you f’ing kidding me?!!”  Run, don’t walk.  Trouble. 

No, I’d never heard of this but Yes, now  I believe people can be colour sensitive. I don’t believe that the world revolves around them. It is very unfortunate for them, as it is with folks with sound, light, electromagnetic sensitivies etc.  We cannot be all things to all people.
Please chose a bland hotel room and take the pictures off the wall for your stay. I’m not going through my place and removing all the specific colours or replacing items of said colours. *Unless it was for a longer very very well paying stay!!!