"arbitrary fees" + "vermin" - response and case resolution for pet fee

Emily-And-Virginia0
Level 4
Mountain View, AR

"arbitrary fees" + "vermin" - response and case resolution for pet fee

Hello,

We are superhosts with 1200 reviews averaging 4.9 stars.  (we're a small rural PM cabin company).   

I keep getting shut out of resolutions but I have an issue I just can't shake.   I wonder how this bodes for the future. If I should make a drastic course change.

We had a guest come and bring a pet.  they did not disclose they were bringing a pet.  (so we didn't request the nominal $45 fee)  We message multi times asking if you're brining a pet in addition to stating that you need to disclose to us that you are.

This pet guest greatly damage the property. we have photographic proof.

We sought minor remediation with guest ($200).   No luck.  We sought help from the resolution center.   They will not get involved because dogs are "vermin" and policy states they are not responsible for vermin.   Also, Airbnb resolutions will not help with even collecting the pet fee clearly stated in the listing description because they do not support "arbitrary" fees.  The guest has admitted in messaging that they brought a pet - since departure.

Here's where I feel the most anxiety - we are forbidden in terms of service from collecting pet fees outside of airbnb.  

How is this practice sustainable?    Would someone here in the community give me a reality check?  If the guests had had a rave we didn't approve of would airbnb just tell us "we are not responsible.  case closed."

This guest did not follow the rules.  They brought unapproved guests - in this case, furry -  the guest did damage.  

Look forward to some feedback.  Been tossing and turning about this for a while.  3x resolutions has shut me down.  I have a real bad feeling about this.  Not this one-off event per se, but how I'm strangled by airbnb's new treatment of me.   and lack of ability to invoice myself for arbitrary fees - such as pets, hot tubs, etc.

Kindly,

Virginia

35 Replies 35

@Laura2592  I do, too.  I can't stomach their reaction. 

I like your point about human damage.  If the dog had been properly accommodated by its owners, crate-trained or otherwise, it wouldn't have done what it did.  Poor darling.  So helpful to hear these stories and remember to never say the word "pet" when reporting damage.

I do accept pets (dogs, cats, rabbits etc). I do ask for extra payment. I also have in the house rules that pets are not permitted alone in the apartment, nor on the sofa nor in the bed.

90% of pet owners are the most respectful guests and leave the place cleaner than asked for. I do restrict the number of pet to 2 max.

When a guest brings a pet without announcing it while reserving, I do make them aware that they did not read the listing, where pet rules and prices are stated and ask them to pay through money request. Worked every time.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi @Rachel367 

This sounds like a brilliant and constructive solution. Is it that you ask for an upfront deposit (non returnable in the event of damage?). Is that it?

WE need constructive proposals like this... to resolve the matter of pet visits being unremunerated.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Emily-And-Virginia0 

Would the proposal as outlined by @Rachel367  be of assistance?

Hi @Mary996 I do not ask for a deposit for the dog, but I do ask xxEuros per night. This covers the supplementary cleaning.

As I said, my experience with dog owners was until now very positive but I guess that this is a cultural  and respect matter.

I had more damages (broken plats and glass items, scribbled on walls and  more garbage) with guests who stayed with their toddlers:-).

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

So for whatever reason you are successfully obtaining a deposit in advance from Guests as part of the booking process? This sounds like a very good idea. Is it working out for you? I suppose you must disclose your sort code and account number? Or is there another way to go about this?

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi @Rachel367 

I've started another thread on this subject but your tag didn't work. It's just to try to get a conversation going about what we can do, within the rules, to cover damage risk and pet cover. Your ideas very welcome! Its listed as new in the community centre.

Rule #1:  DO.  NOT.  MENTION.  PET.

Photos of damage with verbiage:  "Door was badly damaged and guest appeared to have painted over the damage."  That's it.  No discussion of claw marks.  No discussion of bite marks.  Simply "door was badly damaged and appeared to be painted over by guest.

Did I mention to NEVER  mention anything about a pet?

On a side note, airbnb is now heavily advertising bringing Fido along on your trip.  If they plan to advertise BRINGING YOUR PET, then they should offer hosts support in dealing with pet damage.  It is unethical to do otherwise.  

@Connor60  They are also pushing Long Term rentals, yet haven't instituted any safeguards for hosts in that respect. Obviously long term rentals require a different set-up than for guests who only stay a few nights, but Airbnb seems oblivious to that.

And on the pet-friendy PR- don't you just love the category photo? Dog on a white duvet cover. "Don't just bring your pet along- make sure you disrespect the host's belongings".

Peter1
Host Advisory Board Alumni
SF, CA

I suggest you make a claim against your listing's Security Deposit.  That is what it is for.  If you haven't set it up, you should do so immediately.  It's much easier than making a claim against the Host Guarantee.  Then, you should make sure you mention it in your review of the Guest.  I'm sure future Hosts would want to know that this Guest does not follow your rules and did not notify you before bringing the pet.  If you haven't already done so, you should have a section in your listing description specifically detailing your pet policy (make sure you make an exception for legally and officially registered Service Dogs), and give notice that there may be an extra cleaning fee that may be taken against the Security Deposit.  Then, make sure your pet policy is also copied into the House Rules section of your listing.

@Peter1  You're a very experienced host with over 500 bookings. How is it humanly possible that you came this far without discovering that the Security Deposit doesn't exist?

Peter1
Host Advisory Board Alumni
SF, CA
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Peter1 Presumably you have put this link up to prove @Anonymous is correct and you are wrong?

in your post you said its easier to claim the security deposit rather than use the host guarantee and yet, in the link you posted, it says

'If and when a host makes a request to collect on their security deposit, it will be handled according to the Host Guarantee Terms and Conditions. Airbnb’s Host Guarantee is a programme that provides property damage protection of up to $1,000,000 USD for hosts of homes.'

Hi @Peter1 , welcome to the CC, as a HABM, it would be good for you to dive deeply into Airbnb's Vermin Policy!   Actually, its not a policy, its a pseudo disclaimer, hosts have begged Airbnb to rethink their pet non policy and all they do is make it more anti host not less.  On one hand they try to convince us almost daily to accept pets to get more bookings, on the other, they say that any damage caused by an animal the guest brings (including service and ESA's) is on us to pay for.   Our suites are 100% pet free and will remain so until the end of time.  Stay well, JR

Hi @Melodie-And-John0   Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for your warm welcome.  As a dedicated Host, you are well within your rights to set your own rules regarding pets within the law, and expect Guests to respect them.  Personally, I am an animal lover and would welcome Guests with pets (in my view, they are part of the family as well).  Unfortunately, my co-Host, a little white Westie, believes she should be the only four-legged resident in her home, so I also have a no-pet policy.  Very occasionally, I have had a request to bring their service dog, and mostly those Guests go to lengths to describe the animal, the fact that it is house trained, well-behaved and promise sincerely that they will fully compensate for any (unlikely) damage or extra-cleaning.  Under those circumstances, I've been happy to make an exception and make sure my Westie stays her distance.  I've been lucky so far, in that those have been incident free and happy stays.