super host relief

super host relief

I think that generaly every host and superhost of houses and of experiences is very affected by this situation and potentially everyone could have reasons to access the fund. But cannot satisfy everyone and I think it is mainly used as propaganda and there is not transparency aboutthe criterias for access to the fund. Initially it was said that the requirements to compete are verified identity, not more than two ads and to be superhost for at least a year (really  they specified at least four times and it was not necessary to be consecutive). In this way they created many expectations and then now they send invitations to super hosts with at least 3/4 years of status. It may be a criterion but it was better that they said that it is a fund for longtime superhost and not for superhost with more needs; how do they determine that a 3/4 year old superhost needs more than a 1/2 year old superhost if they don't even invite him? For this reason I think that this fund will not be assigned with real criteria of necessity and will be used above all as propaganda and advertising.

Sorry for my bad English, I hope I made myself understood.

3 Replies 3
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Moreno-and-Stefania0,

Lovely to meet you and hope you are doing ok. I hear that the COVID status in Italy is improving, which is incredibly good to hear. Wishing you all my very best. 

Thank you also for your post here and for your honesty. I read a similar post to yours a few days ago elsewhere in the Community Center and I relayed it back to the team and so I thought you might find the response and context helpful:

"Covid-19 is the most difficult thing we’ve ever faced as a business, and we know the same is true for many of our hosts. We want to support as many hosts as possible, and we wish we could do more. But the reality of the situation is that COVID-19 has hit our business hard, just like yours. That means we have to make difficult decisions about how to direct each support program we offer.

The spirit of this program is about supporting long-tenured hosts who are in danger of losing their primary homes. To do that, we have chosen to invite hosts who have 3 things in common:

• They've been Superhosts for a long time
  • They have significant earnings losses
  • They are sharing their primary or secondary homes

The first two criteria are more straightforward. The third is harder to measure. We know there are a lot of ways hosts approach their businesses, and the number of listings they have isn’t a representation of the care they put into welcoming guests. 

We want to help hosts stay in their homes and get back to hosting when the time is right. Choosing to invite hosts with 2 or fewer listings is a way for us to focus this program and make sure the support we provide is meaningful. If you have more than two listings at the same address—for example, if you rent out three rooms in your house—you’re still considered eligible.”

I know this doesn't directly address your point about the tenure, but hopefully it gives you more of an idea about the thinking behind the fund. 

I hope this is helpful and I look forward to speaking with you more.

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Lizzie, thanks for answering. I think the support fund is of airbnb and airbnb has the right to decide the criteria for inviting superhost to apply for the benefit. This is a discussion community, I allow myself to express some opinions.

1) at the beginning the fund has been not presented as a priority for titled superhost for at least four years (only one year has been said). This has created unnecessary expectations in many super hosts

2) for me it is difficult to understand how the airbnb team can assess how much I (I say “me” only as an example) I have been more or less damaged by the situation if I am not invited to describe my situation? How does airbnb to know if this is my only source of income or do I have other income if I am not invited to describe my situation? How does airbnb to know if I live in the accommodation that I rent and if it is my property or I pay a rent myself, if I am not invited to describe my situation?

These are some examples but you understand that it is justified that one may think that the superhosts invited are not the superhost more needed. It would have been better to say immediately: a fund for superhost titled for at least 4 years in situations of need, evaluated these situations if funds remain available, extend the invitations to superhost titled for at least 3 or 2 years.

Everything would have been much clearer immediately.

They are opinions and I hope they are useful. For the record I am Italian but I live in the Canary Islands (Spain) where I have accommodation on airbnb,

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Moreno-and-Stefania0 ,

Thanks for your addtional questions. I have some information that has recently had some extra clarity added to it that I think will help:

How are you deciding what hosts have been hit the hardest?

We know that this type of information is complex and sensitive—that’s why we’ve put together specific criteria to make it more objective. We start by looking at hosts’ earning trends to invite those whose earnings have decreased the most when compared to last year and who have had a long tenure as Superhosts. Then we use hosts’ responses in their applications to better understand how that decrease has affected their ability to make ends meet.

Many thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines