verification code sent when not requested

Henry9
Level 1
Millerton, NY

verification code sent when not requested

I have received 4 verification codes in the last 3 days from Airbnb.  I called the help desk and they said that there is a computer glitch in the system that is generating these codes to my number. It is about time to have the problem fixed.  Getting a unrequested verification code could be the only sign a host or guest has that their account is being hacked.  Please fix this in a timely way.  Knowing and doing are two different things.

23 Replies 23

Hmmm definitely from airbnb

Have spoken with the service and changed my password again. The change is showing as pending so definitely there.

An waiting to be contacted and this has been passed along to security team.

the password I changed to yesterday was very strong, so I suspect this could only come from within my phone or internally from Airbnb. Apparently my phone is very difficult to hack and I do have added security?

There has been the largest ever data breach in Feb but I can’t see how this would be related.

I did find an article where something identical was experienced by another member in feb.  In that case someone had registered a credit card and attempted to make a booking via that account using those details.

For now I think the safest option may be to log out on my phone and log out all of the sessions.  Still when I checked the access sessions they were all only from my phone.

Alison771
Level 2
Lytham St Annes, United Kingdom

I have had this text twice this week, it happens if I am on Airbnb accepting  a booking etc

Jane2679
Level 2
Barton Seagrave, United Kingdom

Having booked a break for my self I too am getting a daily verification code,

Tammy208
Level 2
Windsor, Canada

I have received 3 as well...most recently yesterday.  Hope to get a formal email stating Airbnb’s course of action to correct this.  And any things we as hosts need to do. 

I too have been receiving unwarranted verification codes...sounds like changing password may lead to more issues? Fingers crossed  the glitch will be fixed soon! 

Tom2928
Level 2
Ventura, CA

Thank you for posting - I have receiving many of these "Airbnb verification codes", wondering what it is all about.  

Michelle1709
Level 4
England, United Kingdom

Not sure whether my post was edited or I was dog tired? I was trying to say that my account was hacked after receiving these messages yesterday morning. The hacker attempted to change my payment method. I was alerted that a change had been made via email, so security is working well in this respect.

I spoke to customer services. They stated that no changes have been authorised from their end as I’d reported the issue.

the change to my pay method is still showing as pending none-the-less. The last part of the email to my payment method had been edited to .cam

Recently I have had 5 verification codes sent to me on a text message. Can anyone let me know what we should do about this? Currently I have just been ignoring them. Thank you Judith