First Live Q&A with Donna Boyer, Director of Product

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

First Live Q&A with Donna Boyer, Director of Product

Hello everyone,

I am pleased to share some very exciting news with you. We will be hosting our first Live Q&A session, exclusively here in the Community Center on Monday, June 19th at 12pm PST (San Francisco time).

[To make sure you are aware in your different times zones: 3pm EST (New York time) / 8pm BST (London time) / 5am AEST (Sydney time-June 20th)]

You might be asking yourself, what is a Live Q&A? In simple words, a Live Q&A is a live online event in which members of our Community will have the opportunity to ask questions to an individual from Airbnb, basically like an interview. During the Live Q&A this person will try to answer as many questions as possible in the allocated time. Sounds exciting, no?

So, who will be our first guest for our Live Q&A? It’s going to be Donna Boyer 🙂

Donna

Donna is Director of Product at Airbnb where she leads the Product Team focused on host experience. In addition to being a Superhost, Donna is a mother of two and has spent over 20 years empowering product teams, leading product at Hyperion Solutions, Yahoo!, RMG Networks, Callaway Digital Arts and Blurb. Donna also serves on the board of Girls in Tech, a non-profit focused on the engagement, education and empowerment of girls and women who are passionate about technology.

The Live Q&A will be a global event across all our Communities, so if you see another member asking questions in a different language – don’t be surprised and enjoy the diversity of our Community. We’ll do our best to give you a provisional translation during the event, so that you are able to follow the discussion.

Take out your calendar and set a reminder to be part of our first Live Q&A session, which is going to take place on Monday, June 19th at 12pm PST (please see above for a guide on what time this is in different timezones). Don’t miss it! 🙂

The following link will bring you directly to our Live Thread. Please note that the Live Thread will only be open for questions when the Q&A starts.

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

93 Replies 93
James250
Level 3
Cathedral City, CA

Why not post an online printible manual on where to find things on the Airbnb site?

James

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Bea21 and @James250,

This is certainly an interesting topic and it is really interesting to hear your question on introducing new categories.

As a side note to the Live Q&A, I wonder if you would consider starting a new topic on Eco houses in either the Hosting or Interests board (depending on the angle) as it would be a great discussion point and it will be easier to follow in a post of its own. I like your idea too James. If you have any questions on how to do this, just let me know. 🙂

I am glad to hear you are both looking forward to the Live session on Monday, I look forward to seeing you then. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Wan1
Level 2
Langkawi, Malaysia

Hi Donna,
I am from Malaysia. I have a big villa, has eight bedrooms and seven bathrooms, and making a homestay.
How do I upgrade this property to attract more tourists to residents here.
Does it require a big budget?
How to beautify the image to display in AirBnB website.
Can you share a good tip for me.
Thank you

Wan *** of Langkawi de Villa

Mark488
Level 1
Santa Marta, Colombia

We are really pleased to be involved with AirBnb and have found the program excellent. We gained SuperHost status in the first quarter and in the main we have met every clients needs bar one. Their slamming comments and a 3 star rating, appeared to bear no relationship to the costs they were charged, the service provided, etc but this has effected the number of people coming to our property. As a Superhost it would seem fair to have at least one veto to the reports made about us, or the opportunity for it to be withdrawn by AirBnb if it can be proved to be factually incorrect. Whilst investigating this another AirBnb supplier, in England had exactly the same problem. I would value the opportunity to discuss this and look for a better solution than just accept a unfair and unjust review. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Mark488 and @Wan1,

Lovely to meet you both.

Just highlight, the Live Q&A session isn't due to start until Monday June 19th. For more information on this please do take a look at my reply above, here

Also, just to add, both of your questions do come up in discussions here in the Community Center, you may also wish to see what other host's thoughts are on this. 🙂

I hope you will be able to join us on Monday. Hope to see you then.

Lizzie

--------------------

Hermina0
Level 2
Boston, MA

my wish is to see the kindergarden stars to go... 

One review is enough, people come to my house with the critical mind versus gratitude. I see this shift in the reviews. 

It is a 24 hours responsibility to host guests with not front desk stuff 

Thank you

Hermina

Wessel1
Level 1
Randburg, South Africa

I am at the end of my thether. The pin showing my cottage points to 59 9th Street, Linden, Randburg, South Africa, while my property is at 59 9th Street, Greymont, Randburg, South Africa. All the guests making enquiries are then confused. I have tried to update the information but it seems impssoble to change. I updated my shipping address, which is showing the correct address, and still the pin is incorrect. I have tried all avenues and failed. I have sent emails to Air B&B and received no answer. 

Hermina0
Level 2
Boston, MA

I wtore this e-mail to airbnb but I would like to post it here

Hello Airbnb stuff!

Yes, I'm one of the first users of Airbnb, I loved the idea, and manly my guests love to be my host. I welcome them as my own guests. 
The website was easy, friendly to use, people were happy to have opportunity to spend time in Boston where the cost of the hotels were not for everyone. It made possible to travel more people to Boston. 
But... over the time I have to say directly: I don't like the aggressive approach of airbnb, putting pressure on host with kindergarten stars, making guests to be more critical about the quality of my house that my garden is not an English garden (which I wish to have), that my house is not the newest on earth, what can be repaired, not this, not that... ( I have my TO DO list, but that's my own list, I'll do it when it's the right time for me)
I hosted thousands  of guests. The house where I live cannot be sterile, 98 % it is clean and organised, and I have other work full time, for the other 2% if something is not perfect my space I should not be judged. I provide clean room and common areas. People come from all different backgrounds, I am unable to be there and check after each guest how they leave my kitchen and bathroom. I wish they follow my rules, but it's not the case always. 

I wish to see the same simple reviews that people used to write with a lots of gratitude without stars. 
It should be my own interest to respond fast to inquires, but if I'm late the guest has many options to choose. Glad the advertisement of referring host is gone after each review. The restlessness that exist the change every morning in not helping. The calendar is the most important place is not the best

Thank you
I hope you will consider my observations  as well
Irina87
Level 1
Florida, United States

Hermina,

Absolutely agree with your post:I don't like the aggressive approach of airbnb, putting pressure on host.

We work 24/7 for the strangers we never met and some of them leave my beautiful properties destroyed.Airbnb acts like they protect the Guests more than the Hosts! 

Irina

Magda36
Level 1
Barcelona, Spain

In my opinnion, the relationship between the owners of properties , and the guests seems not  to be  the best. In all renting  websites  as a owner we have all the obligations. The questions are : Are you sure  you will be a good hosts / hostess ?  or How to be a good host /hostess?    Are you sure that your house is  enougth atractive  ?    Never  exist the question about : Are you sure you will be the best client, or guest,  ¿ Do you know the conditions to rent the house ? Did you choose the house  you look for?  Do you want a house in the middle of the mountain? or you prefer a hotel in the city. Do you know that in  tourism houses ( gite) you will be in pleine nature, you will see the animals , insects, birds, cows, or, may be you don't want this sourrondings , the silence, , the bells   etc.... All of this is very important because sometimes , the people choose the house by the photographs, but no the knowledge of this I mentioned. 

The owners / hostes, have some wrigths too , to accept or not some kind of people. Not always as an intermediate agency,  the information about the house is complet. Sorry, it is my experience , as a owner and as a passenger., when I 'mtraveling   Only it's my opinnion  Magda

I Am from another guest house in South Africa and my comment is Airbnb dont give contact details and i have many times tried to get hold of them.it is impossible.

People make bookings and cancell the day before they come,no deposits so we lose income on the rooms.

I am upset

Danie *** Millstream inn Skeerpoort,Northwest

Anna707
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Localization - specifically with regards to China. 

Solange22
Level 3
Willemstad, Curaçao

Question this sounds exiting I have a 6 hour difference with London living in the Caribbean. So the time you gave is London time that will be 6 in the morning for me?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Solange22,

Lovely to meet you, great to hear your wish to join the live Q&A.

I have just updated my text on my original post, as it is actually happening at 12PM (San Francisco time) as this is where Donna is based.

Therefore, I believe in Curaçao it will be 3pm on Monday June 19th for you.  

I hope this helps. Hope to see you then. I hope you are thinking of some great questions. 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

This is awesome! I love being an Airbnb host and can't wait for this first Q&A session.