100% refundable (including Airbnb fee) ..... promotion ?

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

100% refundable (including Airbnb fee) ..... promotion ?

promotion.JPG

Hello , all Hosts

I am newbie to airbnb. Today I just saw that my list had some promotion add in. It is great.

Just want to know what promotion we can get from airbnb and do we need anything spacial to got it ?

If you had somethink like this before ? Do it help your booking ?

Thanks

Nutth

81 Replies 81
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

It was I though something limited to Italy, good if you are a guest, not so good if you are a host.

David
Nutth0
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@David126 Thank for you information.

@Farah1 for me it is just happen. 

@Belinda55 Thank for you opinion , I think airbnb try to make guests book more quick (and may change they mind later)

I just findout the in this blog new-cancellation-policies-and-increased-host-fees That airbnb host fee will change

Flexible is 3%

Moderate is 4%

Strict is 5%

What you thinking about this change ? 

@Nutth0 thank you for sharing that article. I don't think the new policy takes place yet. Do you by any chance know if they really going to move forward with it?

Nutth0
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Farah1 I had no idea what time this change will start.

makes no sense to charge higher fee based on type of refund 

@AugieDog-and-M-sMom0

Yes it does - to Airbnb - if they want to encourage guests to book right away - then they need to make it as painless as possible - and their research shows that viewers hesitate to book when there is a strict cancellation policy - or a penalty to cancel later.

So Airbnb will charge a larger fee for those hosts who want to penalise guests for cancelling. Hence the 3% for a 24hr cancel, versus a 5% charge for a strict cancel.

Best Wishes.

As usual @Rachael26 is spot on.  I could not have said it better myself.

@Rachael26

Yes, great for Airbnb and guests. But for hosts that don't feel they can risk a 100% refund we have no choice but Strict, and are penalised for it. It simply does not provide enough options for the different rental contexts that are operating. I have suggested a change that gives hosts more options (and is similar to other holiday rental platforms where you can choose the cancellation timeframe and penalty). This seems more reasonable than expecting all hosts to operate like hotels. https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/More-cancellation-options-re-new-100-refund-policy/id...

Belinda55
Level 10
Bundeena, Australia

This has also happened to my listing today (I am a superhost in Sydney who has been on Airbnb almost 4 years). A call to support confirmed that yes, this '100% refundable' is their new policy, although I cannot recall any notification of this happening.

Now there is NO disincentive for guests to cancel, and with my policy set at Moderate this could happen up to 5 days ahead. This is not acceptable, and I have immediately changed my cancellation policy to Strict - which I suspect will reduce my bookings, the opposite effect to what Airbnb is hoping.

Other platforms such as Stayz and Tripadvisor do not support such policies, and their standard policy is to take a deposit that is forfeited in the case of cancellation. I will certainly be prioritising my listing on these platforms now.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

On my listing too, maybe increase my rate to cater for the additional risk?

David
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Hi, did Airbnb reach out to you for your agreement first before they put this on your listing?

It just appeared with no notification or communication. Talking to Airbnb support confirmed this is indeed their new policy, it is not temporary. The banner has now disappeared from my listing because I have switched to Strict, this is not what I would prefer but feel I have no option, it is the only one that does not emblazon '100% refundable' on my listing.

I don't know if the sliding scale of fees has been implemented ... since there has been no communication 😞

there needs to be some middle ground between strict and their new moderate, cancel 100% refund just 5 days ahead. 

I had a strict cancel policy that turned into a nightmare when the renters demanded the right to cancel within two weeks of a big event and refused to pay the 50% cancellation fee telling SurBNB  a BS story because they didn't want to follow our rules.  

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Nope

It was a surprise.

David