5 Star Rating System flawed

Andrea522
Level 3
Pully, Switzerland

5 Star Rating System flawed

The rating system is out of 5 stars where I am (switzerland) but a lot of guests just give 4 stars and a really good review, perhaps thinking that "perfection is unatainable" which is a resonable position to hold.

But then Airbnb threatens to delist my listing because i'm at 4.4 and I'm seeing a message saying "you're at risk" on my page. 

How does this make sense ? How can you expect everyone to rate 5 stars ? People don't understand that 4 stars in bad in the eyes of the site. That's a relatively good rating in their view. 

I think the rating system should consider 3 stars the cut off level, not 4. That's extreme in my view. 

All this is doing is pushing people to try to game the system by asking for 5 star reviews. Please change this !! 

56 Replies 56

I also had this threat and Airbnb closed my profile for a few days. So it is not about the super host badge, which we will never get at our place I guess.

I have been accepting guests through AirBnB for almost 2 years. I have plenty of good reviews with an overall rating of 4.5 stars... however just recently I had a very difficult guest and he finished to rate me 2 stars - the only 2 starts that I have

it was already a difficult situtation to digest this bad review - and now i just received this quasi blackmail from AirBnb - utterly unbelievable - i didnt expect any comfort from AirBnB but I expected them, that they would be a bit sensitive and not sending such an email after just one 2 star review;

"You recently received a few ratings of 4 stars or less. We know you’re putting a lot of thought and care into hosting and sometimes bad ratings happen to great hosts. However, ratings that are consistently lower than average could result in your listing being temporarily paused and removed from search results."

lately Airbnb threats and menaces are really disturbing! Rating is a rating thay can't pretend to have all properties at 5 stars! If a crazy guest is rating 1 star who's fault is? The host of course!! Come on

What kind of business mdoel is this?

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Andrea522

I'm getting people from all over and there are always guests, who think the star system means 5= excellence, 3=normal and 1=avoid. I can't really blame them for it, I thought that too. Only since I'm an airbnb host and adapted to the system, I rate products by maximum stars = ok, one star less than maximum = average and the rest is to avoid. 

People from some nations will generally see it that way, but you should get a few 5 stars from time to time even then.

Your stars show 4 on precision and cleanliness, the other categories are higher rated. So you should work on those two categories. Some reviews speak of bad smells and an open trash can in the kitchen. Maybe you try for a while to empty the trash at least once a day, especially after cooking or throwing away smelly packagings. That's not such a big effort and will improve the feeling in the kitchen. At least close the bags and put them on the balcony in the evening to take them down in the morning. It looks like your apartment is clean, probably as clean as 5 star ones in most aspects, but you get dumped because of small things, like the trash. You could get the living room more inviting by putting some curtains, a picture on the wall, which would hide the holes left by some former furntiure or wallmounted tv and a few tourist brochures in the white shelf. Small stuff like hairs in the shower drain or stains on the mirror reduce the stars too. 

For the precision rating, you should work a bit on your description. You call it a B&B in the title. For me, one of these Bs means breakfast, but it seems not all your guests get it or you do not offer it. Then you speak about your flat with all the rooms. So, is that a full flat? As a host myself, I know how to look to finally see the Private Room, but I bet a few of your guests did not really know what they booked. It was nice after all, so they leave a good review, they know in hindsight, that they should have seen it, but there is a little anger left, so they give you less stars on precision. That rating does not mean: Is the host precise? It means: Did you understand? 

People come from different countries and backgrounds, there is a lot room for misunderstanding. Rewrite your listing, as if you wanted to explain it to a child of a friend. A child, because you have to lower your expectations, what the guest will take for given. Guests are so different, there is no common base. And imagine yourself explaining it in person, when you rewrite it. Your reviews say, that you are a sociable very nice person, so you are a warm human being and generous when you meet people, you are better at telling a story than writing one. 

At the moment, you have a list of things, try to make it a warm and useful description. Describe the apartment, but relate it to persons, yourself and the guests. People want to orient themselves, so what is that place: an apartment, where you live, alone or with others, is it new or your home since you were born (exemple), your main apartment or a second apartment or a place where several rooms are rented to strangers?

Then describe what the guest can do. A room to spend a quiet night / a room with a comfortable bed to relax, a bathroom shared with the host, more people or for the guest alone, a kitchen to enjoy breakfast - provided the trashcan was emptied 😉 - or to cook dinner as well, a living room to watch tv  or chat with the host whenever they want / withhin certain hours, / or you may invite them to the living room. 

You say close to the bus and train stop: indicate the lines and name of the shop, maybe the time it takes to a few attractions of Lausanne. Indicate what kind of shops and restaurants there are. At your price level, people will be interested in cheap restaurants or buying groceries or take outs. Add a few pictures of the area, a favourite restaurant or shops. Everything that helps people to feel they know the place when they arrive. 

I took photos from the metro stop to close to the entrance of our alley, all around the place where they arrive. That helps a lot that they can orient themselves when they arrive, it shows the possibilities for shopping and hanging out and it brought both precision and location ratings up. 

Just imagine: you go to a strange place, to live with a strange person and everything looks surprisingly different from home. How scary that is! If you can imagine beforehand how it will be and then you find everything easily, that's a much better start for a holiday. No difference to the place, only more information. 

Good luck!

Judith-P-0
Level 2
Astoria, OR

I agree the star rating system doesnt work fairly. It is too subjective and arbitrary.

For some unknown untrackable reason I got a few low ratings. One guest  gave me a 4.9 (I think it was becasue I did not have an electric teapot) and another guest who not only did I make an exception to allow her dog (never again) she was in a very cold mood on arrival, unresponsive evasive and ended up giving our place a 3 stars rating. This brought my whole rating down. All other guests have LOVED my place. 

Also I wish I could see who did not think my place was 5 star clean, becasue it was and the fact I can not look ar who judged it that ways gives me no information to fix it.

These ratings are not fact based but opinions and I can not control someone who subjectively  judges VS facts. I mean , maybe they did not like the books on my shelf? Or they thought my artstyle is wierd? Or? See it may not have anytihng to with the room or the sheets, but what oges on intheir heads.

The few guests who gave me low ratings also did not suggest what was wrong or what to do to change it. So I am stuck with a mystery. However,  I am also stuck with when a new visitor sees those ratings, it could change their mind about booking my place.

Not fair!

John880
Level 2
Peñíscola, Spain

Despite what the Aussie guy says about being 5 star, all I can say is, if how he talks to people on here is an example of how he talks to his guests, then I'm surprised he gets more than 1 star.

Maria568
Level 5
Stanthorpe, Australia

Well said , I don't like the system either. Some people will compare us with 5 stars hotels and of course  they will give you a 4 star but it is not a bad review at all. We are not hotels ! we are homes and the experience should be grade differently , not by stars !!. 

Julie142
Level 7
Florence, Italy

I recently moved to Italy and restarted hosting for Airbnb again. I noticed that in my 1-year absence the rating system has changed dramatically. Thus, making it really hard to achieve a Superhost badge for the long-term busy hosts. 
I try my very best to describe the place I’m renting by providing a very detailed description. Yet since I got here I received few 4-star ratings over things that I CLEARLY revealed on my listing, i.e. that the apartment is located on a noisy downtown area (I checked that option on the list), and that the apartment is located on the 4th floor.

It is worth mentioning that my last guest who also gave me 4 stars on the overall experience, value, and check-in, showed up with a 3-rd unknown person, even though she rented the room and paid for ONLY 2 people. How could she say that she didn’t get value for the money she spent when she had 3 people sharing the room with the 3rd one being for free? Not to mention, what she did was technically against the Airbnb policy!
She said that the entrance was too small, to which I laughed, but then again, it’s not that funny. I understand that she was a first-time guest and that perhaps she thought it was ok to behave that way, but quite frankly, her rating considerably lowered my overall percentage. I could have kicked her out, but being that in this city there are about 10,000 active listings and I needed the money, I didn’t feel like losing money at the last minute, so I just endured.
Yet, I cannot ignore the fact that to me at least, the current rating system feels rather one-sided and biased, as hosts who don’t meet the questionably high expectations of inexperienced guests few times; risk to either subsequently work less (because they become too afraid to risk in jeopardizing their ratings) or if they do decide to proceed, have their accounts suspended.

I wish to also say that personally I try my hardest to go the extra mile for every single guest I host by providing the highest quality of customer service I’m humanly capable of, but reading about the threats that other hosts received made me feel quite uncomfortable.

Not so happy about all this, really. 

Judy29
Level 9
Brant, Canada

Guests should be asked for comments when leaving less than five star ratings.   we got a 3 star rating based on the gardens that a guest did not like. It was a new house for us and landscaper was booked and hadn't arrived yet. Should this be allowed

Missy21
Level 2
Conover, NC

This is so disappointing! I started hosting last October and became a super host in January. I was thrilled. I have tried to reflect my profile, pictures of my space, and discription exactly for what it is. I have kept everything clean and tidy which is easy since I live alone and stay in my part of the house and my guests have their area. They have private bath and bed room so while they are here they only have to tidy up their area if they choose to do so. I leave notes in the guest bath room before I leave 

Alzara0
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

As I a guest I am just avoiding giving any review now because I don't want to hurt someone's means of doing business. On the other hand, sometimes 5 stars just isn't appropriate and would be misleading to future guests. I feel tricked by the 5 stars everywhere and in many cases I would have been better off staying at a hotel. My expectations of a 5 star hotel are completely different, but people often treat their accomodations as if they were a hotel for the prices they charge.  The airbnb rating system is totally confusing and I am thinking that I will most likely just say in hotels from now on although of course I would like to support more community initiatives.

Lène0
Level 3
Berlin, Germany

YES! The star system sucks. Just had the same. People giving a nice reference and bad star rating. Actually really bad star rating, which does not make ANY sense to me. 
I gave them a nice review and advice them, but I really regret that! The worst ist, that I cannot change it, so they will go to other people, say that everything was great and give you 2 stars in communication afterward!

Are they hypocrite or just stupid?

That should be changed for y simple thumbs up or down system and details can be read in the review.

This star system give us, host, nightmares!

Please Airbnb, change that!

@Lène0 at the very least it would be good if AirBnB spent some time/effort informing the guest what it really means to hosts to be a bad star rating.

They could do this in the screen when the guests leave their ratings. If the guest chooses to not leave a 5-star rating, they should pop up a box and ask "What exactly was wrong?" and at that time inform the guest what the low star rating means.

Maria568
Level 5
Stanthorpe, Australia

I agree totally with with you Lene ! Airbnb should inform the guests or change the stars system !! I was a superhost until February , I had two 4 stars overall  , nothing wrong and then I have lost it ... Wrong totally wrong !

One guest give me 4 star for everything then gave me a good review saying they enjoyed great service in my home. 4 star for check -in. What did I miss on their check in? Nothing. Which part of my home is not clean? Everything, she gave 4 star. It's very unfair, but no place to complain.