Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

A world of idioms!

pablo (12).png

Hello everyone,

I hope you are well.

Today I thought we could discuss idioms, as I am sure that many of you use them on a daily basis, I've definitely spotted a few here in the CC!

In our office, I am lucky to work with colleagues who speak different languages and it makes it very interesting to exchange idioms with each other.

Below are the different idiomatic ways of describing 'heavy rain' in a few languages :-).

English: It's raining cats and dogs
German: Es regnet in Strömen (It's raining in currents)
Spanish: Llueve a cántaros (It's raining in jugfuls) 
Italian: Piove a catinelle (It's raining like from basins)
Dutch: Het regent pijpestelen (It's raining pipe stems)
French: Il pleut comme une vache qui pisse (It's raining like a cow that's weeing) 
Greek: Brékhei kareklopódara (It's raining chair legs)
Polish: Jak z cebra (It's raining like from a wooden bucket)
Portuguese: Está chovendo a cântaros (It's raining jugs)

I think it's really interesting how often we use idioms when talking to each other. If you know some idioms (in any language), it would be great if you could share them here as it'd be fun to learn some new ones!

I look forward to seeing your answers!

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

111 Replies 111

@Dimitri0, I went to the German site during December after Lizzie started the Adventkalender... just curious.  I was truly blown away by the 'culture' of the group!  Almost made me want to defect! 😉

Eleven... and I don't speak British English; only American, though most of the time I can understand them! ;-)))  I only have four enabled on my iPhone, though.  I love language, so I'm quick to pick up.  It's fun.  

Kim
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Kimberly54 I think that 'Strömen' translated into English means 'Current'. We use something similar in Dutch as well!

@Dimitri0 I wasn't too sure about this idiom, but thanks for clarifying! :-). I was also able to find more info on this actually! 

Es regnet/gießt Schusterjungs / junge Hunde / in Strömen / wie aus Eimern/Kübeln.

-----

@Quincy, (BTW, I so love this thread), what does it mean to raining shoemakers?   Is it a big sale at a department store or should we just stay inside that day?

Best,

Kim
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Kimberly54, I think it'd be best to stay inside on this day ;-). 

-----

@Quincy, oh my... you sound like my horoscope report today!

Rodger that! (meaning, 'I get it!') 

Best,

Kim
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Kimberly54 my horoscope for today wasn't too bad actually ha! I haven't seen anything other than rain pouring down from the skies today...

-----

What about this?

“It’s raining pitchforks”

@Emily352, OH NOOOOO!  Move to another area!

Best,

Kim
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Nice one @Emily352

What do you think of this idiom? 🙂

Italian: Avere una fame da lupo
Meaning: to be as hungry as a wolf/to be very hungry/starving (I'm not sure if this is correct). 

-----

@Quincy:  You're 'blowing me away!' (or 'blowing my mind') = WOW! You're impressing me!/I never would have thought of that!

(I believe this is generally used in a very positive manner, but could also be used in the negative)

Best,

Kim

It's correct, @Quincy. One of the most common idiom in use today in Italy.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Emily352,

Is this one used quite often? 

Italian: Avere le orecchie foderate di prosciutto.

English: To be unable to hear what can be clearly heard.

-----

@Quincy... wait... your ear is stuffed with cured meat????  Oh my... this is awful! 😉  (Haha, I think I prefer the direct translation!) *)

OK, this one is much more innocent:  "A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down." (From "Mary Poppins") = making an unpleasant task fun! (Like cleaning up a room)

Prosciutto,

Kim
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Kimberly54, haha!

I now finally get the Mary Poppins part ;-).

You can't have your cake and eat it too = You can't have everything (I'm not sure if this one has been mentioned already). 

-----

@Quincy, 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink' = you can tell someone some good advice, but they may not do anything with it.

My first husband (the dead one... I didn't do it) made fun of this saying: 'you can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.'  (total play on the word 'lead' and varying pronunciation). 

Funny.

Prosciutto,

Kim