Advice for Wall Marks

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

Advice for Wall Marks

My airbnb bedroom is newly remodeled with fresh coat of paint and this is my first house.  When I turn over the room, I have noticed that there are often black scuff marks that have to be from a suitcase being laid open against the wall and shuffled around. The room is small so there isn't much room to put a suitcase; the floor is the only option. I know I probably would have been guilty before of not paying attention to walls, but as a new homeowner my heart drops everytime I see a new scuff mark! 

I realize "wear and tear" is part and parcel of this hosting gig, but wonder if you all have any suggestions for minimizing this?

So far, I have used Mr Clean Magic Eraser and that helps but I also notice it actually takes off a bit of the paint so if you look carefully my walls are starting to look splotchy in areas. 😞

Helpful tips?? 

15 Replies 15
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Valerie192 You could supply luggage holders (like in hotels) so guests don’t use the floor?

Hi @Cynthia-and-Chris1 I had thought about that, but for larger suitcases (like international travelers have) I think it would actually be worse...I think people would still open up half of the suitcase against the wall, scraping up high where it is even more visible... 😞

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Or wall padding? Otherwise, just assume some plastering and painting on a regular basis.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I second the luggage rack. This is the one I have, and it helps with with the wall dings. 

http://a.co/4YkGuHY

And you’ve a lovely home, I can totally see why your stomach sinks! I adore the tiles on the front steps!

Hi @Willow3 I made a comment above...does the rack prevent people from leaning it up totally? What happens with larger suitcases? Thanks for your advice! 🙂

Very large cases will probably still rest on the wall at the very top.  I can’t be sure as my guests are usually one night or weekenders - not a lot of larger cases coming in. 

Thanks for the kind words too about my home!

Andrew458
Level 3
Seattle, WA

I have had the same problem with magic eraser. I would use a little soap and water first. As they say, "hosting AirBnB affirms your faith the power of soap."

We plan to repaint annually but we have 10 to 15 groups per month.

Andrew

Thanks @Andrew458 will give it a try next time!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Valerie192

You need the highest quality washable paint. I also get footprints on the wall under the writing table.

@Valerie192 I totally agree with @Marit-Anne0 , washable latex wall paint like Caparol are great, we have it and easily wash away all stains  . But it doesn't save our walls from scratches though.

You could also put some wall covering, there are many choices today like wood sticker tiles , stone tiles etc...

Evelyn86
Level 3
New York, NY

Hi Valerie. Use a little comet, Ajax or bon ami on a wet scrubby sponge. Not too scratchy, just a light duty one.  It works like a charm and won't scrub off paint. A life saver!

I will give that a try - thank you!

@Valerie192

On Amazon you can buy a small paint can with a built in brush.  You put your paint in there and when you unscrew it the brush is ready to use to repaint the wall.  The brush goes back into the can and the paint and brush are stored on a shelf ready for next time.  It never dries out and the can has metal ball bearings in it which you swirl around to stir the paint before use. I have one for my office and touch ups take just seconds.

Another thing you can get is wallpaper border strips that stick easily but can be removed without damaging the paint.  You can put a border (like a chair rail) on the wall where the marks tend to appear. Amazon has all kinds of patterns and themes in self sticking sturdy materials.