Airbnb Pressureing me to Refund on Strict Cancellation Policy

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Airbnb Pressureing me to Refund on Strict Cancellation Policy

I assume I am not the only one.  I have had multiple instances where a guest basically makes a reservation on a strict cancellation policy listing without reading a single detail of the listing or how airbnb works.  I have a strict cancellation policy so that when guests decline to do even their tiny part of the responsibility for all this, it does not fall back on me.  Then, a guest who did no part of their responsibility complains, and Airbnb calls me asking me to refund the guest for a paid stay.  Each time I tell them absolutely not.  After they went over my head a couple times, I filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau.  They responded to those complaints, apologized, and said it would not happen again.  Instead, each time, they waited until the BBB closed the complaints and went back to business as usual.

Yesterday I got another call like this.  I had a guest last week who did not read the listing at all, thought he was paying $27/night for the entire house! He also listed his children as adults so he could make the booking apparently.  He did not check the check in instructions at all either.  Basically, he looked at some pictures (the first pic is the room with beds in it, not a house pic or anything) and clicked book without messaging, asking questions, or reading listing.

Stuff like this is EXACTLY why I have a strict cancellation policy.  There is ZERO reason I should have an unbooked room for two weeks because this guy has zero sense of responsibility.

So Airbnb calls me up, and asks about refunding him.  I explain all of the above, they confirm the guest had no complaints about the listing, only that he made a mistake (by not reading ANYTHING).  I tell them I have already filed complaints with BBB about this issue of asking for money back on strict cancellations, and they say ok, and it is settled and I will see the payout.

Then today, I get a message from Airbnb through app, again pressuring me to refund the money to this guest. In the first two messages, they imply (8) times that I am not 'fair' or 'human' for not immediatly refunding the money, no joke, (9) times.  See messages below:

Airbnb Rep: Hi Tony,
I’ve raised this case with my team and my manager, and after careful consideration, we believe that we should be issuing a partial refund to the guest. One of Airbnb’s values and commitment is to provide a *fair*1 resolution to everyone.
Since your guest did not stay in your listing for the full 15 nights and the fact you can still be able to get other guests who can fill in those dates, then *it’s just and right that they get a refund*2&3. Another point is the fact that Airbnb operates globally which maybe communication barrier depending where the user comes from. This means that an English terminology may be totally different from someone who came from the Middle East, Europe or Asia. We would like you to understand that there will be cases like yours where we should be *considerate*4 of the situation.
With that being said, we would like to propose 50% refund on the nights not spent and let us take care of refunding the rest to the guest.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Sincerely,
Rep

Me: Rep, I was very clear, and I'm now filing another complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the FTC for violation of terms of service. A strict cancellation policy is meaningless if I have to pay out of my pocket every time a guest ignores all house rules and listing notes.

Rep: We understand your point and you have to understand that the reason we are proposing this is because this is what we believe is *fair and human thing to do*5&6. This does not happen everyday nor something that you encounter on your reservations. Knowing that someone unintentionally booked the place which have a different understanding to what our listing says is an honest mistake.
We just try to inform our host about this *because most host would rather not take something when they have not rendered any service to someone*7. We would still refund the guest with the amount that we think is *fair*8 and will leave your payout as it is.
Thank you for your time and we are considering this case closed."

I mean look! This is some seriously bent virtue signaling!  I grew up with a mother who rocked the guilt trip, have actually went to counseling, I know what a guilt trip looks like.  They say here that I am not fair, human, just, and that I'm essentially a thief for not refunding that money because the guests chose not to stay.  Is this not HORRIBLE?

I would think if Airbnb is at all concerned with being 'Fair,' they would start by honoring the terms of service I choose, like when I choose a strict cancellation policy.  Me, I'm never going to see these particular guests again.  There is ZERO benefit in me refunding them money.  Airbnb hopes to make money off of them in the future, so you would think if Airbnb wants to issue them a refund against the terms of service that Airbnb would do that on it's own dime WITHOUT PRESSURING A HOST TO DO IT FIRST SO THEY CAN SAVE MONEY.

I know this happens a lot, so if anyone of you would like to be heard on this issue, you can contact Better Business Bureau and add to the complaint, this really needs to stop.

The BBB complaint # is 12515809, you will need to contact San Francisco BBB.  Thanks for reading, anger rant over, just so tired of bad virtue signaling from Airbnb...  Sigh.

39 Replies 39
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

The point here at first it was great when making the money , now is Dam if you do and Dam if you don't Host have a game as  well  as guest nothing is for free, now the real host do work hard you know who you are, what I mean is too much up and down we are to fast to judge Airbnb lol while we are making money lol you know what I mean is not fare for those who work hard and do this seriously, so come on now Host like my Dad tells Guest respect my house and my house respect you. One thing it was good making money right now Airbnb tells  you to do one thing and you go all crazy with BBB BAD Move......

Yvette60
Level 3
Las Vegas, NV

I have flexible cancellation policy and a guest was given 100% refund for no show last week.It turned out to be System error ..and I did get a call pressuring me to issue a refund on my end. That was the first time I realized this is a byer's market. Like ebay..and it will probably go  down the same way -i was hearing at the time ebay was hot how byers always asked for refunds and sellers were getting turned off and going to amazon. look at amazon now...since then the system error was fixed because i had to call few times to remind airbnb that they should keep their posted policy. If they don't why should I?

But since then I started recieving guests who gave me every single trick on the book asking for refunds about how the listing was worded or expecting the entire house instead of the 2 listed bedrooms - not reading the listing like you say. Then it downed on me! They are only doing so because they have been getting away with it; this has been an established buyer market already. There is no following the policy of read the listing or complain within 24 hours of noticing and documenting an issue.. your listing price is not a guarantee. Now I have just few more bookings expecting nothing but learning new tricks. I know Im not gonna make money out of this unless I fight like you for every reservation; BBB; emails, long talks with solution managers prompting them to implement their posted policy. 

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Tony134 A really shame to see that hosts are still victims because of uneducated guests! I went throught a similar situation two years ago and till now Airbnb has not been able to educate guests properly. Airbnb it is time for you to teach guests the rules and regulations instead of asking hosts to refund them!!!

I have had similar experiences with guests renting a single room and expecting the whole place to themselves. I agree they clearly didn't read the listing carefully, but as others have written I give a refund if the room is booked by someone else for the nights in question. Still, I think part of this problem is the terminology "private room" is confusing. To folks who are lazy or challenged readers, it gives the wrong impression.

Maybe the thing to do is turn off "instant booking" and make sure people know what they're getting before you accept the reservation. The guests who are really out to con you through airbnb will find things to complain about no matter what, but others may avoid a careless error.

I have turned on the message me after booking/answer questions about your booking options, so they have to establish contact with me; it is there I like to remind them what to expect and on their check-in instructions which they can not avoid not reading. 

If someone stays at the place and has not documented ant viable issues which i can review and respond to and somehow gets refund/ manages not to pay for stay this is just plain wrong and airbnb shouldn't allow it.

Actually I would like the listing to go back to 2 private bedrooms being offered in the same property booked together in one listing!

or separately. Right now both rooms are listed as A private bedroom. Meaning one private bedroom. Which is also inaccurate- I have 2 spare bedrooms and 2 spare baths that can get booked together for bigger parties ; a very wanted feature in Vegas!!!!

I guess my listing got "downsized" in effort to make readers understand they are not renting the whole house..but it's not a fare representation of what I offer either.

Your listing description confuses me, @Yvette60.  This is what I see.  You have 5 listings with 2 being entire apartments and 3 being private rooms.  Do you live in the listing with the combination of 2 bedrooms?  If not, how is there shared spaces when guests book the 2 bedroom option?  If guests can book the 2 bedroom option and no one else but their party is in the space, this is an entire apartment.  Sorry for my confusion 😛

You read it correct! it is exactly that!. You can book the 2 bedrooms together as a party or separately -booking the bedrooms as single  private bedroom options. That is why there are total of 3 listings for the same bedrooms, depending on how people want to book them. That was the set up bedrooms advice and over the phone help I got from airbnb when I was putting up the listing.

The over the phone help is great tho; they never rush, take time explaining what's best..

Suppose I don't have a group of guests to get both bedrooms;  what would be the other case scenario which you left out? Two different bookings of different people in the  same house. Therefore  I have disclosed the shared spaces, which I'm glad you sow as well.

As far as wheather you are getting the entire place guaranteed every time you book- this is super easy:  One needs to have the listing in book a " home " or book "  entire place " and that's what it would say in the title too!! and you will not find my listing in this category or title.

So this completely eliminates confusion. Wouldn't you agree? 

Okay, I get the picture.  When a single party is booking the two bedrooms, they are booking the entire apartment.  You are not there and no one outside their party is there @Yvette60.  Right? Change your listing to entire apartment and delete details about sharing any space.  Just like your other entire apartment listings, the guest will find this listing when they specify search for entire apartment.

It is important that you look up how to sync the calendars of the three listings for the single LV apartment.  So you could have one bedroom booked by a single party and then you block the other bedroom.   Or, you could have both bedrooms booked by two separate parties and the rest of the apartment is shared.  Or, you could have both bedrooms booked by a single party that has access to the entire apartment.

Hope this helps!

Also, would you consider changing your profile picture to a portrait of yourself?  It helps guests to relate to you as a person.  Just a thought.

Hi Linda!

To answer what seems to be a request:

*Would I consider changing my profile photo? *

-Does it not fit current guideliness?

-Are you speaking as a airbnb representative or another host? 

I need to establish this, because your advice is taking more of an imperative tone and because in this answer you have started misunderstanding and not seing some things or seing others I have not listed.

For example there are TWO pictures on my profile; second one is of my face; perhaps you haven't clicked to see this; my guests usually do.

Things you have insisted on, yet I have not ever expressed A written desire of is to list the house as "entire home". I am going back to this thread and no- not once do I mention that this is my intention.

The other condos in Manhattan and Beverly Hills I have never booked on airbnb actually; I had them short- term- airbnb -rental- ready and considering hosting with local hosts, yet current tenants have gone on long term contract so listings are inactive for the time being. 

4. Calendars of the current Las Vegas listing were ENTIRELY handled by airbnb stuff over the phone. I asked for help after my first listing, because I admitted I was new to the system and didn't want any mistakes. 

Mistakes however did happen.

I was then most accommodating  and communicated fast with everyone in such cases.  

Which means- if for ex.someone was under impression they would get 2 bedrooms instead of the one they paid for I will  give them two anyways. They will complain to airbnb anyways;  get a refund anyways . Did I mention the calendars and room listings I did with over -the -phone- help with airbnb? I believe these phone calls are recorded? Also the messages with tenants on my end..

I hope you still get the picture..I will conclude with this confession now. I didn't mean to be so revealing anyways. Goodnight!

@Yvette60 We are all hosts here, none are 'representatives' of Airbnb. Many here however, being hosts, will be able to advice you how to 'solve' a problem or improve a situation, from a ~host's~ perspective; not a guest's nor Airbnb's either, who is a business doing a circus  juggling act between its guests and hosts.

Secondly, your listing struck me the same way as it did to Linda, very confusing. Many guests you have had also were confused and then the 'issues' (aka battles) begin with Airbnb.

If you are happy with your present arrangement and results, and see no better way that is great.

Thank you! I am starting to see better ways already! Another rep from the hosting site told me about this blog too as well so I am grateful for that as well- this is the place where hosts share experiences.  As far as how guests get confused I wish that would prompt them to 1. either get a clarification or 2 prevent them using services while admitting they are not fully aware what they are.

Good show @Yvette60; I swear, not a day goes by in this business that we do not learn another little twist that will make our lifes easier.

@Fred13 thanks! it's a learning experience for me too! My great "finds" are what guests show me; I can't take credit for it; I am still catching up; this blog/ community center is a great learning experience too! I think of it as a brainstorming through other hosts experiences, debating what seems to be 'rules interpretations' and deffenetely not just a place to complain! As a matter of fact I never rated a guest bad or airbnb poorly for that matter. The phone help is actually great! and  I am glad I am doing this because  I had this idea of getting a Clearbank loan to finance an investment property for airbnb rentals..Imagine how that was going to play out with the current refund policy!  So Im glad I didn't just do it right away as I tend to in business; and tested the hosting experience myself first.