Airbnb Violating Its Own Policy

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Airbnb Violating Its Own Policy

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 7.50.59 AM.png

Just this morning, I got harassed by an Airbnb case manager/customer service. I reported this guest who made an instant book and openly said that she does not want to comply with anything. The case manager said that before booking all guests are being forced to agree with house rules, so if I want to cancel then I will be penalized. It is in the Airbnb policy that instant book host can cancel penalty-free for unlimited times if the guest is breaking house rules or host feels uncomfortable. The case manager said that I cannot do that anymore because I have done it a few times before (always because the guest is not following house rules and book instantly) and she said that this guest does not break any house rules. When I tried to explained what the guest has said, she just kept talking and not listening.

I feel so disappointed and hurt. After 5 years with Airbnb, this is how I am being treated by this platform that I always support.

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 9.58.38 PM.png

This is on their Instant Book FAQ, but apparently is a lie.

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 9.58.31 PM.png

Another lie they have on FAQ

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 9.56.54 PM.png

They clearly don't have my back.

I turned off the instant book and I am blocking all of my dates after the last existing reservation that I have. I cannot stand with a company with employees that bully others (their host, who actually on track to be superhost by the end of this week). I know that the company won't care about me because I am just a number for them and not a valued host or a human, but at least I don't need to contribute to a company like this.

I guess the 5 years that I am with Airbnb means nothing and this is the end of it.

@Lizzie

38 Replies 38

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 9.46.06 AM.png

I asked her to confirm that she has read, agree, and understand to comply with all house rules. All guests are required to do this. In fact, she should've clicked agree when she made the booking. However, this is the big mistake that Airbnb has is assuming that if they click agree that means they have read, understand, and agree to comply. Reading, agreeing, and understanding are different than clicking a button. She did click that button, that's how she made the booking, but she admitted it herself that she did not want to comply with anything.

@Farah1

While it is so good to see you again I am so upset that it has to be under these circumstances. I missed seeing you and your posts here on the CC.

I don't host as many guests as other hosts but every time I hear about ABB breaking their own policies and blatently disrespecting hosts that actually deserve nothing but respect and thanks....... I honestly don't know what to think!!!! What is going on?!?!? What is ABB thinking?!?!? (Are they even thinking at all???)

I know it will probably be a matter of time before something happens to me too......... because I've heard so many stories like yours.

Regardless of whether you do decide to leave the ABB platform I hope you are able to get a fair decision from ABB and would like to support you in any way possible! ABB is clearly going in the wrong direction.... the bullying and unjustified and totally moronic decisions that go against their own rules and policies are really getting to a point where this is ridiculous. It's like they are trying to get hosts mad to make us want to leave. 

I will also be on the lookout for any updates you post. Good luck!!!

I am glad to be back in the forum too. Though, I am really disappointed to see that it seems like many things got worse. I posted the final update below!

Hi Farah,

Honestly I would go on Twitter or Facebook, it is the only way to get their attention. Tell them you are a long standing host who is appalled at the way support is handling a guest who is basically saying she will not follow your house rules. Why is she displaying such a bad attitude? I had the worst experience with support after my unstable guest earlier this year and got passed around and not phoned back when told I would. Does this sound familiar? I read it all the time on the here, and yes airbnb support have gone downhill in my experience. The case workers are rude and I am sure they do not listen at all now. I sent one message on facebook and voila!, case is handled in my favour as it should have been a week so more earlier. And yes, I am taking bookings elsewhere now and will be more often in the future because I feel that the platform is attracting more difficult guests with unreasonable expectations or just the plain weird and I do not always feel safe in dealing with these instances since support has gotten so bad. Yes, I love my 95% of guests who are wonderful, and I love my job, any case worker should see that us who have fantastic reviews should be supported, not put through the ringer when we have to resort to getting airbnb to help. I hate calling them, but they ultimately pay out or not, and I don't see why they should favour guests who are just plain awful. I wouldn't put up with it from my private guests, it is time the company invested in some decent training and better policies before they lose more hosts.

Rosemarie, for some reason I cannot tag you. I agree with you, they need to do something before they lose more hosts. Unfortunately, it looks like we are just a number for them and not a valued hosts/human. They keep making policies/policy changes. However, they are useless if the employees don't even know, understand, and willing to follow them. Seems like these policies are just there for decoration and to "protect" them and not us.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Farah1, your post makes my stomach turn. The guest's message to you and Airbnb response disgusts me. I do hope all works out for you in the end.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Farah1  That Airbnb refuses to acknowledge that pressuring hosts to use Instant Book results in so many "I'm uncomfortable with this guest" situations makes me see red. I have never used Instant Book, never will, and have never had to contact airbnb about a guest booking I felt uncomfortable with, or who arrived and didn't follow house rules (I have almost none, I just expect people to demonstrate basic respect).

That this counts for nothing, and that they don't even follow their own policies- the corporation itself is just like a bad, disrespectful guest.

@Sarah977 it is very unfortunate, I turned off IB and now focusing on other ways/platform that value their hosts better and also care about their host's safety.

Marissa46
Level 2
Ultimo, Australia

Hello @Farah1, I am new to this but not new to Airbnb. I somehow experienced this sort of case before. And apparently the best solution is you have to contact airbnb and speak to different people and make sure put this case under INVESTIGATION. Most airbnb customer srevice are afraid when we put our cases to Investigation. As stated in every listing by law, It is compulsory for guests to follow and accept the house rules. Airbnb do not have the right to be violating your house rules. Just calmly speak to them and tell them to talk to the guest to hear both sides of the stories. What ive seen is Airbnb customer service you spoke to seems biased towards the guest. Apparently when it comes to dealing this sort of case, contacting different people and raised the issue to different people. Also if the previous case manager are unsuccesfully dealing with your case, you have the right to pass onto a third party to resolve till both parties being happy as their job. Last time I had a bad experience about one of the guest violating the house rules during the stay. I had to take photos about the guest rooms, house conditions and sent Airbnb customer service support tab on airbnb as evidence during the guest stay. 

@Marissa46 thank you for this! I did ask them to assign a  new case manager to investigate my case after I read your suggestion. I appreciate your help and support.

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Farah1My, this sounds like a nightmare guest and she has not even arrived!  She is very clearly passive agressive and does not choose to follow rules. For refusing to even look at your house rules, she is not going to be able to follow those rules. This is a no-brainer for Airbnb support. They should cancel this with no penalty to you. I think that they should even suspend her from the platform. 

Hope that something comes from the DM. Have you also tried facebook? I have seen some resolutions happen there.

@Rebecca160 it was definitely a nightmare! I tried the Twitter DM and felt the outcome was better than calling in, although still not 100% fair. You'd think it is a no-brainer, and I agree. However, it does not seem that way for ABB.

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Farah1 You must be facing a hard time right now and i am very sorry to see you in such a situation with Airbnb.Can you please let me know to what house rule was your guest not willing to comply?I would advice you to take a break from Airbnb!

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 she does not want to comply with ANY/ALL of the house rules. Yes, definitely working on it. Thank you.

@Farah1 Have you watched the live Q&A? They clearly mention that all guests must first agree with all our house rules before being able to book your place.I think this policy isn't serious at all!