Airbnb depreciating a damage claim -but their calculations are secret!!

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

Airbnb depreciating a damage claim -but their calculations are secret!!

I recently had a guest who messaged me advising she broke the glass cover on a light fitting in the bathroom. I tried to buy the glass shade on it's own but they are not available, so I had to buy a whole new light fitting which only cost $16AUD. I included a copy of the receipt with the claim.

This should be a nice simple claim, right?  NO!!

Lynn from Airbnb advised they were issuing a payout of $14 after depreciation. So technically I now only have enough to pay for 87% of a replacement light. Lynn advised the claim was being expidited because it was "a relatively low amount and I haven't claimed other damages recently". I was also told by Lynn she had spoken to the guest so I should make no further contact with the guest. Not sure if that was a suggestion or threat. I asked Lynn how Airbnb calculated the depreciation. Here is the exact response from Lynn:

Lynn, May 30, 20:12 PDT:

Hi, Brett

Thank you for your response, Airbnb reserves the right to know the calculation rules solely. Sorry for this answer, we still hope you will have more positive experiences with Airbnb.

Best regards,

Lynn
www.airbnb.com/help

Really?? "Sorry for this answer"? Airbnb are going to deduct $2 from a $16 damages claim where the guest openly admitted to the damage? If I had only included a link to the item on the website and not a receipt, how the hell would I go and buy 87% of a light fitting? Imagine if I was audited and told the Australian Tax Office that the calculations from Airbnb are secret so they should go away?

It really is starting to feel like Airbnb just don't give a crap about the Host.

I am about to lodge another claim for some filthy guests that stayed at another of my properties. I was thinking of creating a post in real time so to speak, and updating as Airbnb respond. This one will involve breach of House Rules and damage to property. 

Thoroughly disgusted with this treatment!!

6 Replies 6

@Brett3

It's no secret that ABB is far from transparent in the way they handle payments, payouts, claims etc. They are always say "ABB has the final say in all decisions" and make us agree to these terms if we want to use their platform. Of course they don't care about us.......they only care about their bottom line.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Brett3

To be honest I think you have come out of this pretty well Brett!

Airbnb is a booking agency, it is not an insurance company, the company does not charge you a premium to cover a defined risk. What they offer is an adjudicated system that will in some instances offer some sort of compensation, and to get 87% of what you claimed definitely puts you in the successful claimant bracket!

It would be wise for you to not expect too much from Airbnb, I have seen cases where the claimant got less than 10% of what they claimed.....some get nothing. 

The problem is Airbnb have offered a very broad umbrella of compensation cover but, they have at all times stressed that any claim will be an adjudicated decision (meaning it is their loss departments decision) and things like wear and tear will be taken into account in any settlement.

There have also been a high proportion of vexatious claims where the claimant has required many times more in compensation than the cost of the purchase.

The bed that the guests baby urinated on required a replacement mattress which the host lodges a claim of $600. That mattress has been in use for guest accommodation for 18 months and was originally bought at the local Salvation Army op shop for $150.....and the host is wanting $600....come now!! 

Brett, I sympathise with your predicament....I have had a few breakages around here, mate it is part of being a host. But if you want a new for old replacement policy, go out and buy one where a premium will be charged to cover the risk....and just let Airbnb do what they do well....put guests in touch with hosts!

All the best Brett.

Cheers......Rob

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

Hey @Robin4,

Cheers for the input and sentiment. 

I should have mentioned I have been in contact with the Australian Tax Office. They advise there are some issues with what has happened here. Whilst I think deducting $2 from a $16 claim is being tight and does not make sense, it is the policy implications that concern me.

Airbnb are not legally able to depreciate an item they do not own. Secondly, the item was broken. You cannot decpreciate an item that no longer has any value. The ATO also pointed out that under the Trade Paractices Act, Airbnb have a legal obligation to disclose policies and procedures.

I agree that for the most part Airbnb is a great platform to use and things do normally run well. What is not great, is how things work on the odd occasion you need support from Airbnb. As clearly seen here in the forums the results are pretty hit and miss.

Brett

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Brett3 ,

I would not have claimed these $16AUD at all.

First of all, this amount is just to small. Damages with this pricetag are just part of being a host as @Robin4 has already outlined.

Second, next time You have a real damage of $3000 airbnb will tell You that they have just reimbursed You recently, You have too many damages and therefore they will cut You down to 800. Wich § would Your claim against airbnb be based on? Read their TOS, there is almost nothing You can do.

Sorry.

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

@Ute42

thanks for your thoughts.

I tend to think if I ever have to make a claim for a large amount like that I will be shifting soley to one of the other platforms I am already trialing, and after reading these forums I would make a claim on my contents insurance. In this instance the guest agreed to paying and I just don't think accepting mediocre results from Airbnb is okay. My mistake was making the claim under damages and not 'other trip related expenses'. They are normally paid right away. 

If as hosts we are all of the minset that there is no point trying or expecting more, then the service levels will just keep being lowered to reduce costs.

These are all learning experiences either way.

Brett

Ross78
Level 2
Coeur d'Alene, ID

We just had guest in our home for the weekend. We are non smokers/non drinkers. Our home is listed as smoke free with no smoking at all, anywhere on the property. So apparently the 6 adults are chain smokers. The neighgbors reported them in front of our house smoking upo a satrom every morning. However not during the day or night. There is also a no glass policy in the back yard because we have a pool and spa. It doesn't take brains to figure this rule. So I come to the property the first morning to check the pool and spa. There are glass bottles on the patio table with butts from their cigfarettes in them. I remind them about the rules and leave. The next day, same thing. So they are smoking on the patio with the doors open, Now my home smells of cigerette smoke. Been trying to deoderize and air out 5 days now. Still smells. Professional service to clean out comes to $350 plus the 5 days already spent comp-letely stripping and washing all the bedding (complete  6 beds )and spraying all the furniture to get that Smokers Smell out. What else can we do? Guest denied all claims. Even though pictures were included with the claim. It's just rude that smokers take a clean home and destroy it wwith their stink. They should not have even asked for a reservation.