Airbnb meetups on Gold coast

Keith9
Level 1
Gold Coast, Australia

Airbnb meetups on Gold coast

Hi everyone. My name is Keith and with my wife  of 50 years, Dorothy, we have been hosting with Airbnb for some 5 months now and we love it. We live at Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia. We call our site Dora-XP: Gateway to the Gold Coast 

I have been reading other post on this community forum and I find the questions and answers very interesting. What I would like to know is, can we contact other Hosts in our local hosting area for the sharing of information, ideas and general local support?

@Keith

31 Replies 31
Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

Of course Keith, I have had other hosts contact me.  All you have to do is click on their listing, and click on CONTACT HOST and write a message.  They will get an INQUIRY, not a BOOKING REQUEST....which is nothing you have to worry about to decline or approve. Just write and introduce yourself. I have done this myself a few times too.  Partially because I wanted to stay in their home for a 2 day weekend.

I have saved your place/listing as Australia is on my husband bucket list for world surfing.  We have been to 6 countries already.  We have best mates in Melbourne but that's not near the surfing for my hubby. haha  But we will stay with them in 2017 most likely. as 2016 is for Disneyland and our daughters 13 bday!

Glad to  hear you are enjoying it....so I am!  I have found my new career and couldn't be happier.  ALOHA

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Keith9,

Welcome to Airbnb.  There is already a post in the Getting Started section for introducing yourself.  I don't know exactly where Queensland is but you might also want to try and connect with hosts in either the Sydney or Melbourne sections.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Melbourne/ct-p/melbourne

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Sydney/ct-p/sydney

Also, apparently Direct Messaging is in the works for this Community Center so you might want to hold out until that time as some hosts may be quite annoyed getting inquiries which are not really reservation inquiries.

I would caution you against following @Momi0's advice about contacting the host through the "Contact Host" button.  This essentially sends them an inquiry which they have to either respond to, pre-approve or decline within 24 hours or it could hurt their response rating.  Also, if there are too many declines, it could hurt the host's search location and just responding is essentially a decline.

Cheers

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Phil-And-Michelle0
Level 1
Surfers Paradise, Australia

Hi Keith,

My husband Phil and I have been hosting on the Gold Coast since December 2015.

There used to be a 'group' section for Gold Coast Hosts but Airbnb have changed this to this community site. The Gold Coast group were regularly meeting every few months.

Please feel free to keep in touch. My accomodation is Gold Coast Retreat- Centrally Located

Kindest regards

Hi phil were do you meet o discuss the airbnb and how they keep changing the host policy.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I am new to Airbnb and also based in the Surfers Paradise area. I'd love to organise a coffee catchup. How do we go about doing this? 

[Email hidden - to Direct Message, hover over post image and click 'send message']

Prue4
Level 2
Mermaid Beach, Australia

Hi Annie 

im also interested in starting up a group where we can share ideas and discuss things . Has anyone started this yet ? 

Val65
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

Hi Annie I have just listed my place in Miami/Mermaid Beach and would dearly love to get together with other hosts as, basically, I have no idea what is involved but I have been unable to find employment since coming to the Gold Coast almost 2 years ago so this is definitely an option for me to earn some money.

Hi Val I too am totally clueless and would love to speak to other hosts from some advice. My unit is on the Gold Coast but I have seen something on the internet about having to apply to the council if you want to list your place with airbnb? Can anyone tell me if that is correct or not? I live in Brisbane but would really like to 'try out' airbnb'ing my apartment in Surfers but would love to hear from any experienced hosts as to how their experience has been.

Thank you so much.

Ava

Simone510
Level 1
Gold Coast, Australia

Hi, yes GC council are at everyone re paying a fee and I believe it will also increase your rates. I’ve had a few letters, so now have taken off my Airbnb listing.

Haven’t checked into it but their fee is hefty I believe. I also heard they will do spot fines of $6000 if anyone one found illegally renting out their property.

It’s apauling what they are charging. I understand the need for them to have some control for eg safety reasons, but can’t understand how they can get away with charging what they are. They are using their bullying and intimidation tactics again. This is my only income since being made redundant and Airbnb have been great.😥

Lisa373
Level 2
Coolangatta, Australia

This sounds like scare tactics and no one can bully you into doing what you want with your own property. 

As long as your guests respect your house rules. 

We only hear the bad stories on 'brainwashing ' TV . Most guests are amazing and respectful. Reviews are 1 safeguard as you can learn from  other hosts about "dodgy" guests .

I've been hosting 100s of guests from all around the world and Australia for over 3 years now and probably only 1 couple would never be welcome in my home again. 

All my hundreds of guests prefer Airbnb . Hotels /Accommodation continuously slander Airbnb due to competition.

Every guest has said they prefer Airbnb especially my overseas guests.  Meet and stay with informative locals !!!

Hi Val

I'm new to hosting also...love to catch up.  I'm near Kingscliff. 

Hi marg and Steve. I have a place at kingscliff and hoping to talk to local hosts. Are you interested at all? Kath

Linda114
Level 2
Coolangatta, Australia

Hi Keith, we're in Coolangatta and keen to form a network of Gold Coast hosts when Groups is folded at the end of the month. I hope we can all stay in touch. @Linda

Tony128
Level 1
Gold Coast, Australia

Hi Linda

I was just wondering if you managed to form a GC Host Network.  I'm trying to do a search but can't find anything.

Regards

Tony