Airbnb prevents bookings in dates guests checking out

Mary769
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Airbnb prevents bookings in dates guests checking out

Are you aware of this new policy?  After s lot of time on my part and the guests part it was discovered that I cannot rent out a room tonight if a guest checked out this morning. Even tho my settings are set for same day rental Airbnb overrides by blockinthecheck out days. For example. I had guests check out of my listings this morning. I cannot rent them out tonight as Airbnb has made them unavailable. Nothing show up so I thought it was a glitch. To my dismay when I dnwuired yo customer service I was given the bad news-my income was just cut in half. Do you feel that we all should pay for the misgivings if others?  As a Superhost since I started -I am insulted by this kind of block    

15 Replies 15
Mary769
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Here is new rule :As of January of 2018, guests wouldn't be able to check-in the same day a guest checks out, as there was an influx of check-in/out troubles.
I can understand the frustration that comes with this, as I am not one to miss out on a booking opportunity. I recommend that you visit our feedback center and relay your concerns.
You can visit our feedback center here: www.airbnb.com/feedback.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Mary769 ,

My listings can still be booked for "new" guests from date of check-out "old" guests. So don't see this new rule reflected in my calenders.

Best, Emiel

Hi Emile. I know but fues not show on mine either. I had to call to find out why guest could not book. I posted their response with the new rule. Very frustrating. 

@Mary769 Is this the email you got? If that's true, it's an ultimate onset of idiocy of a certain booking platform.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Yes. That is the email they sent after my inquiry on the customer service service center. I have spoken with other hosts and it is a mixed bag. Some are not affected and others found that they are having the same problem despite their setting for no prep snd a 4 hour eindie for room ckeaning and prep. 

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Not aware of it.. just trying to find it in my settings . ;( 

ok hasn’t changed here yet. I still have same day availability ticked off, check out 11am, check in 3pm  with my my cut off time is 2pm. 

Hi Ria.  My settings are same as yours. It no longer applies as Airbnb overrides that setting and firs not allow a booking on same day another guest checks out.  I posted the email from Airbnb explaining the new rule. 

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Thank you Mary, well it worked up until two days ago. Had a booking on the 3rd Feb for the 4th Feb same day as my guests were leaving .?

@Mary769 I am pretty sure there is no such policy.

I have 10 different guests staying with us in February.

9 of them check in on the day someone checks out.

Many of these bookings were made in the last few weeks.

There is the setting for "Preparation time" that would prevent a guest from checking in on the day another guest checks out. Have you verified what your listing's "Preparation time" setting is?

If the guest checked out today, there is also the "Advance notice" setting that would prevent a booking for later today.

Hi Matthew. Yes I have verified settings and been on the phone with Airbnb. I posted the email they responded with. 

@Mary769 where did you post the email they responded with?

I see a post that might be a summary of what the email might have said, but I don't see the actual text of an email from AirBnB.

Could you post the actual email you received?

I know your listing is not able to take bookings for guest check-in on the same day another guest checks out, but I don't think it is a company-wide policy.

Case in point:

My current guest (the one that is here with me right now) made their reservation Feb 1 (well after the January 2018 deadline). Their check-in date was Feb 3. The prior guest was scheduled to check out Feb 3, that same day.

Plus, as I mentioned, 9 out of our 10 guests in February check in on the same day someone else checks out. Many of these bookings were made in 2018.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have had back to back bookings recently.

David
Mary769
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

To all here. It appears that some are affected and some not. REGARDESS OF YIUR SETTINGS AIRBNB IVERUDES UT. FIR WHAT REASIN I DI NIT KNOW. the response from Airbnb is in my original post.  After looking through these boards I realize we can do nothing here.  We plod on. 

@Mary769, we may not be AirBnB support staff here, but we can try to figure out together if there is a way for you to work around whatever is causing your booking problem.

So we seem to know a very few things:

1. Most hosts here are able to have guests check in on the same day another guest checks out.
  2. You have verified your settings are correct
  3. Guests are not able to book so that they can check in on the day another guest checks out.

I would like to do some tests, if that would be okay.

Can you let me know a few dates for some of your existing bookings? Just the check-out dates.

(For example: tell me you have guests checking out on Mar 21, Apr 7, and June 15).

Also, please tell me which listing the check-out dates are for (I notice you have 2 listings. Do they both have the same problem?)