Are Traditional Hosts Still Valued By Airbnb?

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Are Traditional Hosts Still Valued By Airbnb?

I am a United States (super) host and have been listing on Airbnb for about 9 months now. During this time I have noticed a large property management firm start to 'take over' many of the Airbnb listings in my neighborhood - To the point where I am one of only a handful of traditional (non-property managed) Airbnb hosts left, out of nearly 100 listings. These are the same listings I see on other booking sites; there is no home-sharing going on; no on-site host; no personal touches to acknowledge someone's birthday or an anniversary, etc - Just the same kind of anonymous listing you can find anywhere else these days, and there is nothing 'Airbnb'-like about it. 

This same large property management firm offers these listings at ridiculously low prices when they first come onto the market, e.g., in one case an ocean-front house that sleeps 12 was put on the market for $79.00. If I did not excel at marketing my place and catering to a 'custom clientele' (my strategy from the beginning - I have the advantage of being a former VP of Marketing), I would have no doubt been driven out of business nearly immediately - And I am guessing that other hosts may have indeed been driven out of business, or forced to list with this property management firm if they wanted their vacation rental business to survive. True 'home-sharers' may have had to close shop altogether, being unable to compete with such ludicrous prices.

It seems to me that Airbnb appears to be making itself over into a Booking.com or a VRBO or Expedia-type site as it prepares to go public in the not-so-far future. I began to wonder if us traditional hosts are seen as a liability by Airbnb these days as they move toward an IPO: Perhaps because we do things like speak up about flawed or failed policies; want to control our prices and not give in to these constant, nagging reminders to lower our rates to ridiculous levels; and have final say over who / what comes into our homes (whether human guests or animals). 

So, I'm curious, are other hosts noticing property management firms taking over the listings in their area? If so, how is this impacting / affecting you and your listing's success? And if you host in the traditional sense (home-sharing / sharing your primary residential property), do you feel valued as a host, and as a 'partner', by Airbnb? By the way, here's an article on the 16 Steps Airbnb has taken to entice Property Management firms with Vacation Rental listings to list with them. Notice that Property Managers are reportedly paid 30 - 60 days BEFORE the guest checks in. Must be nice! This is just one of the many policy adjustments Airbnb has reportedly made to appease Property Managers and get them to list. Seems like Airbnb is setting up Property Managers to succeed. Are they doing the same for us hosts?  https://www.vrmb.com/airbnb-16-steps/

203 Replies 203
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0

Airbnb is subject to laws in the countries in which it trades.

@Cormac0 Well it looks like @Susan17 case is a good example that not all EU laws affects them.

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 @Rebecca181 @Cormac0

This directive was introduced by the European Commission *specifically* to deal with Airbnb, so the company is fully aware that they *are* subject to EU laws, whether they like it or not. 

Airbnb's current pricing presentation and a number of its terms do not comply with the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive, the Unfair Contract Terms Directive, and the Regulation on the jurisdiction in civil and commercial matters. Therefore the European consumer authorities and the Commission have demanded from Airbnb a number of changes. The company has until the end of August to present their proposals. Once Airbnb proposes solutions to rectify this, the Commission and the EU consumer authorities will review the proposed changes. If they are not considered satisfactory, Airbnb could face an enforcement action.

Airbnb was given until the end of August to propose detailed solutions on how to bring its conduct in compliance with EU consumer legislation. The Commission and the consumer authorities will meet, if needed, with Airbnb in September to solve any outstanding concern. If the company's proposals are not considered satisfactory, consumer authorities will likely resort to enforcement measures.

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0

The fact that Airbnb ignore the rules of the EU does not mean they are not subject to them, if they don't comply Airbnb will be issued with a very sustantial fine as was

1. Google $5 BILLION 2018

2. Google $2.7 billion 2017

3. Intel $ 1.45 Billion 2009

4. Qualcomm $ 1.2 Billion 2018

5. Microsoft $ 784 million 2004

6. Servier $ 582 million 2014

7. Telefonica $207 2007

In Europe we tend to look after our comsumers.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-7-biggest-fines-the-eu-has-ever-imposed-against-giant-corporatio...

@Cormac0 Good point!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 Also, Airbnb chose to base its non-US HQ here in Dublin, ostensibly because "Ireland is the true home of hospitality, and Dublin is an emerging technology hub". The reality, of course, was much more likely to be that locating its second-largest international office here allowed the company to take full advantage of the ludicrous "Double Irish" tax loophole, which allows them to get away with paying ZERO tax on all foreign profits routed through Dublin. Happy days!

The downside of having their European HQ here, unfortunately, is that they have to play by EU rules. As they're starting to discover. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/09/13/what-a-surprise-airbnb-chooses-dublin-as-europea...

@Susan17 The Irish connection.This makes me wonder if any legal action will be taken against them? Keep in mind that any big foreign investor no matter where they are do have privileges and are often able to cut a deal.Lets see what happens next!

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 The Irish connection won't do Airbnb any favours at all with the EU, Oomesh, that's for sure. In fact, the Double Irish tax avoidance scheme is currently being phased out, primarily as a result of concerted EU pressure. (Ireland has been subject to several EU investigations regarding  "sweetheart deals" that allowed vastly wealthy multinational corporations avoid the basic duty of paying taxes, causing us serious reputational damage both with the EU and internationally)

As regards big foreign investors having privileges... to be honest, I think the Irish hosting community in general was hoping that would be the case when it came to Airbnb being regulated here! However, despite the fact that one would expect Airbnb to have plenty of bargaining chips at the table, it appears that the company's relationship with our government is rather fraught, and things are looking pretty dismal for us right now (We're bracing ourselves for a rumoured 60 day limit)  😞

@Susan17 Thank you for sharing all those information.It would be a shame if that rumour become a reality.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Rebecca181 @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 @Cormac0 @Ute

As luck would have it, Brian Chesky himself will be paying an unexpected visit to Dublin next week, for a "Fireside Chat" with Airbnb Global Head of Customer Service, Aisling Hassell. I have my ticket, but will also be requesting a private meeting. 

@Susan17 Sounds great! You are one lucky girl 🙂 i hope that he will accept your request and that you will be able to address the issue you are currently facing.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 I've met and chatted at length with Brian on several occasions since Airbnb came to Dublin - and always found him to be a decent, amenable lad - so am hopeful the opportunity to borrow his ear will present itself again next week. It's not just my own issue I wish to address though, but much more importantly, the issues around how poorly and shabbily traditional hosts in general are being treated by Airbnb now, and how many of the company's unfathomable practices and policies are negatively impacting so many of us. Obviously, that's a very delicate subject, probably best broached in private, rather than in front of an audience! 🙂

One way or the other though, I fully intend to have my voice (our voices) heard - whatever it takes - because despite our best efforts, nobody seems to be listening to a word we're saying, no matter how strenuously we strive to have our collective concerns acknowledged. 

@Susan17 It's great that you had the opportunity to meet him and that you will meet again very soon.Could you ask him on my behalf why the wishlist counter was removed? It was very practical and helped me understand when demand is increasing and decreasing.I don't know about you but i really miss this little counter.

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 I am trying to imagine being in the 'Think Tank' of Airbnb. Why deprive hosts of the counter for the Wish List? My guess: So that new hosts or hosts with few 'saves' would not become discouraged due to seeing no or few saves on people's wish list. Do you think this is a possibility? If so, the grand irony is, how discouraging do you think it is when new hosts get those warnings that their listing is falling short and it may be removed due to not having enough reviews - When they just posted their listing and it takes five reviews for that rather threatening and (to a new host) rather shaming warning to go away?

@Rebecca181 A great point of view on this matter! I believe it could also be a reason.