Are Traditional Hosts Still Valued By Airbnb?

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Are Traditional Hosts Still Valued By Airbnb?

I am a United States (super) host and have been listing on Airbnb for about 9 months now. During this time I have noticed a large property management firm start to 'take over' many of the Airbnb listings in my neighborhood - To the point where I am one of only a handful of traditional (non-property managed) Airbnb hosts left, out of nearly 100 listings. These are the same listings I see on other booking sites; there is no home-sharing going on; no on-site host; no personal touches to acknowledge someone's birthday or an anniversary, etc - Just the same kind of anonymous listing you can find anywhere else these days, and there is nothing 'Airbnb'-like about it. 

This same large property management firm offers these listings at ridiculously low prices when they first come onto the market, e.g., in one case an ocean-front house that sleeps 12 was put on the market for $79.00. If I did not excel at marketing my place and catering to a 'custom clientele' (my strategy from the beginning - I have the advantage of being a former VP of Marketing), I would have no doubt been driven out of business nearly immediately - And I am guessing that other hosts may have indeed been driven out of business, or forced to list with this property management firm if they wanted their vacation rental business to survive. True 'home-sharers' may have had to close shop altogether, being unable to compete with such ludicrous prices.

It seems to me that Airbnb appears to be making itself over into a Booking.com or a VRBO or Expedia-type site as it prepares to go public in the not-so-far future. I began to wonder if us traditional hosts are seen as a liability by Airbnb these days as they move toward an IPO: Perhaps because we do things like speak up about flawed or failed policies; want to control our prices and not give in to these constant, nagging reminders to lower our rates to ridiculous levels; and have final say over who / what comes into our homes (whether human guests or animals). 

So, I'm curious, are other hosts noticing property management firms taking over the listings in their area? If so, how is this impacting / affecting you and your listing's success? And if you host in the traditional sense (home-sharing / sharing your primary residential property), do you feel valued as a host, and as a 'partner', by Airbnb? By the way, here's an article on the 16 Steps Airbnb has taken to entice Property Management firms with Vacation Rental listings to list with them. Notice that Property Managers are reportedly paid 30 - 60 days BEFORE the guest checks in. Must be nice! This is just one of the many policy adjustments Airbnb has reportedly made to appease Property Managers and get them to list. Seems like Airbnb is setting up Property Managers to succeed. Are they doing the same for us hosts?  https://www.vrmb.com/airbnb-16-steps/

203 Replies 203

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and all the comments in such a detailed manner, @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0, much appreciated!

@Rebecca181 Reading all your very educative posts brings me immense pleasure and information! Thank you for being such a generous CC member.Your contribution is very important on this forum,without you many hosts would not be aware of many information and needful details.You deserve to be at the top of the list of contributors.

@Susan17  Thank you! And please make sure to tell him that the review rate for guests has plummeted since they decided a 10 page review form was a stunning idea. If they insist on continuing with that review form, they need to stop rating hosts on the % of guests who leave reviews, it's sadistic.

@Susan17 I appreciate your willingness to act as an advocate for the Airbnb host collective. I will cross my fingers that this private meeting does indeed transpire. It certainly does seem that Airbnb is moving away from traditional hosting (hence my post here); but if this is the case, why not at least treat us traditional hosts humanely and with respect while we are still here? Or, at the very least, Corporate needs to stop violating their own policies and practices in favor of the guests, at the expense of us hosts. For example, as in your case: Ignoring a host's chosen Cancellation Policy and refunding a guest who does not qualify to receive it is crossing a line and is unacceptable. No host should be treated in this way.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

How to Make Everything About You - Ultra Spiritual Life episode 69
AwakenWithJP

The business model perhaps being adopted by air bnb.🤑 

Yvonne41
Level 10
Kirkland, WA

Thanks for looping me into this conversation. I have recently made calls, escalations and email feedback about my concerns that Airbnb forced me into a less strict cancellation policy and now only allows that policy to managers of 6 or more properties. In June a guest canceled a long standing booking with me, which 50% should have been due per my VRBO policy, but Airbnb refused to all that and also said I would likely get re booked, which I did not. They offered no assistance to boost my listing to get it re booked either. Total loss for my efforts.

In general, in my area I have noticed my property ranking drop, because I can't offer $100 per night for 10 guests in a 4 bedroom house. The wear and tear alone is not worth it.

If they can't offer protection to owners, I will have to be exclusive on VRBO where a traveler's insurance policy is offered, they allow a stricter cancellation period and there is boosting available for key rental dates.

@Rebecca181 I've been reading this thread with great interest and I'm wondering about the current status quo regarding the "gentrification" of Airbnb: are traditional/small hosts still being pushed out/neglected in favour of commercial hosts/property managers? Have things gotten worse over time? Or did the Corona pandemic and its aftermath convince Airbnb to recommit to its original values and host community?  

I ask because I'm a researcher (I work at the University of Amsterdam, New Media & Digital Culture) currently starting on a paper about exactly this topic: the link between the professionalization of hosting and the changing composition of the host community. Would really appreciate any updates you or anyone else here could offer! 

Hi @Niels38,

Given I wrote my original post eons ago, I would say I was quite prescient, because things really snow-balled over the past two years in regard to Airbnb focusing on cultivating commercial and 'professional' property managers.

I'm thinking that with people wanting / needing to travel locally due to Covid-19 limitations and concerns us small-time non-commercial hosts might be more highly valued by Airbnb once again. But then again, I also believe in unicorns, fairies, and the possibility of world peace. Feel free to message me privately here if you'd like to chat further. 

Also, you might want to read this recent post on the same subject from another host, as related to Airbnb's intended IPO: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Airbnb-s-Chickens-Coming-Home-To-Roost/td-p/1350442

Thanks for linking, @Rebecca181 😏

Penelope