Ask guests to specify their arrival time

Luan0
Level 4
Seattle, WA

Ask guests to specify their arrival time

For every guest, I always have to ask them their specific arrival time so that I can be home to meet them. It would be great if when guests make a reservation, there's an option to ask them to specify their intended arrival time.

I understand sometimes people don't know the exact arrival time, especially when they make reservation a few months in advance. In that case, we can make the arrival time changeable.

Response from Airbnb

Thank you for this Idea. We actually built this and tested this with hosts and guests and have found that a very small percentage of guests actually know their arrival time when they book. Guests generally know when they are checking-in exactly the day before or day of. Instead of requiring guests to input arrival/checkin time during booking we are doing three things:

1. Requiring guests to explicitly agree to your check-in window when they book, to make sure they will check-in between that range. Host Voice Response
  2. If you use instant book, we require the guest to select their check-in time if they are arriving within the next 24 hours, and if they cannot check-in during your acceptable range they cannot instant book. Host Voice Response 

3. We are going to encourage guests to provide arrival time as part of their message to you when they send a request or instant book.
43 Replies 43
John231
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

It is funny about the comment "We actually built this and tested this with hosts and guests and have found that a very small percentage of guests actually know their arrival time when they book. Guests generally know when they are checking-in exactly the day before or day of."

It is completely untrue. When I ask the guests' arrival time, I only get the answer "I don't know yet." about 5% of the time. Even if they book months in advance. Most guests have booked a flight and know approximately when they will arrive. If they don't, they agree to tell me when they know.

I am dissapointed at airBnB's decision.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I also can't see how this can be true. Are Airbnb saying that most guests book accommodation, but don't book their flight until the day before, or even the day they are actually travelling? I find that a bit hard to believe!

My guests are staying well beyond the check out time, this is a problem since it takes more than three hours to clean and prepare for next guests. Van I charge a penalty?

Milton & Marilu

John231
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

This is not pertanent to this thread.

John231
Level 2
Calgary, Canada
John231
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

90% of my guests DO know their arrival time. They disclose this information when I ask them but not before. Even months in advance. If they do not know, they tell me they are unsure and usually agree to update me when they know. I have resigned myself to the fact that I must ask them every time. AirBnB is not helpful to their hosts in this regard. I am dissapointed in their decision in this case and question their research and if they even did any.

We have the same need as you--plenty of time to clean & prep the apartment, and make plans for other things in our lives. When I ask my guests for a specific arrival time, I ALSO asks for a specific departure time. If they don't yet have concrete plans, I ask for a roughy time initially and specific time, or range, when they do. I also include late check-out fees ($25 for first hour, then $25 for each half hour after that, for example) AND early check-in fees of $25 for check in up to 2 hours early and $50 for up to 4 hours early--IF available. Most of the time, people arrive & leave on time. When we used to accommodate request for early check-in and modify our plans--often rushing between guests--we found the guests quite often didn't even arrive AT check-in time, much less early. So now we say, "Of course you can check-in early as long as the option is available based on prior guest's check-out time and the condition of apartment, and that our plans permit it. We'll send you the modification request for the additional fee of $xx as posted in our listing details." We have rarely had a guest say, "OK, send me the modification request!" but rather, "We're OK with checking in at xxPM." I guess they didn't really need to check in early THAT badly. We do, of course, on a case-by-case basis wave the early check-in fee but it has to be something special, or a returning guests--who we are always happy to accommodate however we can. It's a great question, even though on the other end of the check-in/check out gyratio

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.
Manuela54
Level 6
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Pitin déjà que je passe des heures à  trouver comment créer un topic et que je ne trouve pas !!! bordil de mirde !!! je voudrais seulement savoir si AirBnb est capable de faire en sorte de calculer automatiquement un day use en fonction de l'heure du check out !! ça doit pas bien être compliqué et surtout ça évitera les surprises du côté des guest qui partent après l'heure de check out indiqué et pour lesquels il est toujours difficile d'explique qu'on prends un day use !!!

merci pour vos réponses

John231
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

sorry, Google Translate doesn't do a good enough job for me to answer.

Manuela54
Level 6
Siem Reap, Cambodia

@John231

Dammed ! already that I spend hours figuring out how to create a topic and that I can not find !!!Dammed Sh..t !!! I would only like to know if AirBnb is able to automatically calculate a day use according to the check out time !! it must not be complicated and especially it will avoid surprises on the side of the guest who leave after the checkout time indicated and for which it is always difficult to explain that we take a day use!

Manuela54
Level 6
Siem Reap, Cambodia

@Airbnb2

is that option is already implemented? cause topic dated from and don't see this option

tks

John231
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

The Guest arrival time is partially implimented. If a guest books using instant booking the day before arriving, they must select an arrival time. If they book earlier, they just have to acknowledge they have read your arrival time.

John231
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

as per the off topic question: I still don't fully understand. Are you asking "Does AirBnB automatically charge a guest extra if they check out late?" If that is your question, then the answer is "no." You must go to the reservation and request money. If the guest agrees, they will pay. If they do not agree, you can involve AirBnB and they may charge the guest.

If I don't understand your question than it is because I don't know what you mean by "Day Use."

Manuela54
Level 6
Siem Reap, Cambodia

@John0

i cannot understand why the function has been implemended only if the guest book one day before ? should be ( on my opinion) at anytime.

we requested money when the guests are polite and advise us of their late depature but most of them didn't do this because they think that they don't have to pay....

for me, if the function is fully implemented, AirBnb don't have to take any commission on the day use... it is not correct.. hope they do not..

Regards