BAD GUESTS!

BAD GUESTS!

We had a really bad guest in our house and left a HUGE mess and I was left with a large cleaning bill and I involved air bnb after the guest refused to pay! The guest was NOT happy form the start wantng discounts and free things and then left the house a total mess! Air bnb rejected my claim so I not only hosted this guest I actualy lost money! Has anyone else had this happen to them?! 

Thank you

111 Replies 111
Leigh23
Level 2
North Dakota, United States

After hosting for many years I can absolutely attest that ALL people who make demands up front (discounts included) are a complete problem even moreso after they arrive. Don’t do it, it’s NEVER worth it! Ever! Just politely respond with, “a hotel sounds like it might be more suited for your travels.” Also stand your ground if someone fussy arrives and tries to take issue with something in the house, also hinting toward a discount or refund. Remember, when a guest gives a (false) crummy review, the host gets the last word! So don’t be afraid to be strong and stand up to intimidation tactics.

Weronika11
Level 1
Wrocław, Poland

My Airbnb guest left this morning. Didn't lock the door, house ready to be robbed! I have yet to write her an opinion. She was lovely when I met her, but was coming back in the middle of the night, slamming the door and in the end - did not care enough to lock the house leaving the keys in the corridor. 

William930
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

We had a guest that partied in our home, with extra people, a dog, they flew a drone over neighbouring  homes, they spilt red wine on our snooker table, used everything and trashed the place and they were only there for 3 nights , yet produced 10 bags of refuse. My cleaner was paid triple what she normally receives and I have asked the guests for a modest amount of money but so far have heard nothing.

How do you get compensation to cover legitimate costs on this platform?

Please may anyone help me?

Has anyone ever taken a small claim against a guest using the court system ?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @William930 

If you look at the Airbnb Help Centre under Airbnb Guarantee it tells you what you need to do to make a claim through Airbnb Guarantee. You have taken the first step by asking your guest to pay for the extra guests, damage and cleaning.

However I am wondering how your guests were able to bring in extra guests and a dog and party at your place without you knowing? It sounds like you haven't installed CCTV or similar to help you monitor your place to help ensure your guests aren't breaking your house rules and bringing in extra guests.  If that is the case and you are hosting remotely, please look at installing CCTV to help protect your property.

I would make a claim on the Airbnb guarantee or your own home insurance to cover short term lets before looking at the small claims court.

William930
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

The reason they could bring extra guests is that our home is by the seaside and we let it when we are not staying there. So I was 300 miles away and my housekeeper/cleaner takes over any changeover when we are not there. The extra people was not the issue, it was the 3 cars one blocking the pavement, the 12 BBQ's in 3 days, and the fact they walked out leaving food/plates on an outside table as if they were is a cafe !!! To name just a few items.

If you don't want to su[ervise your listing either in persn or by camera, you have to liove with the consequiences.

You set the cleaning fee, you have to live with it.

Julie-Ann21
Level 3
New York, NY

Omg!! The same thing just happened to me! I wonder if its the same gross people?

Lol

Bertrand19
Level 3
Geraardsbergen, Belgium

recently we had such a person who asked for all kinds of extra. i was so tired of his mails that i suggested to leave early and that i even wanted to pay back the days he stayed. i did this (he even demanded to do this within 12h! which i did for fear that he would damage the house). the house had been cleaned but a cupboard door was broken. when i mailed him about it and asked him for compensation, he reproached me that this was extortion and he certainly didn't want to pay. airbnb couldn't do anything..... If he won't pay, they can't oblige him!
Judgement: you don't give such persons a review (certainly not a fair one) because then you as a host get a bad review back and that will always weigh on your total score forever.

@Bertrand19 

Guests cannnot see Your review untill they post theirs.

There's no danger for You, write what You have to write.

Leave them a 1* rating.

Chrystal23
Level 2
Charleston, WV

I have a horrible guest who got drunk and told me he was going to come thru my security system and do sexual things to me. Take in mind he is married  x 25 year . Im so so disgusted by this man and cant wait for his disgusting ass to get out of my house. Eww

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Chrystal23 ,

This is very serious indeed, please can you contact customer support at your earliest convenience? I'll send them a note with this information and to expect their call.

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

I did. They are on it

although my intial report was thursday last week and he is still here 5 days later. also his drinking caused vandalization of my drumset too. he drunkenly knocked it over and pulled all the cords out 

how long is it supposed to take to get this guy out of here? tomorrow will make 6 days