BAD REVIEW, Oh No!

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

BAD REVIEW, Oh No!

There are guests who try to push you to your limit, make you feel/think that you should help them by breaking your rules, or making you feel guilty for sticking to your rules. I used to easily feel annoyed/hurt/frustrated by this. I always do my best for my guests and I always provide what I say I would on the listing. Then what makes me deserve this?! Oh no! ha ha... then I realized that there are bad people/bad guests that share a different value/standard than me, who cannot appreciate my professional hosting/rules and help, who want to do whatever they want and not being honest, etc. It would be really stressful if I keep feeling "stress" about it, so I start to learn to be stronger. Sometimes, bad review is actually doing me a favor from having a similar type of guest in the future because those people will see that I will not entertain their behavior. I completely understand that it is not a comfortable feeling to receive a bad review, but I need to do myself a favor not to stress about it and just take it as a learning process and leave a professional review response. Bad guests are people who make me appreciate my good guests even more. So, for other hosts who have experienced this, you are not alone! 🙂

73 Replies 73

I think it is time for us hosts to band together and find a way to let Airbnb know that they can no longer treat their hosts with such disrespect and inconsideration, possibly by holding a massive block day and They need to see that we or just as much a part of the money making process for them as a guest and we cannot be taken for granted anymore....Host support has progressively been getting worse and worse!!

@Georgia13

Totally agree. See my other post. It's time we put a stop to this.

Sara,

You are so right.They don't have the time to help you out with a problem when you really need it.Yet they have the time to write me and ask why I denied an offer of $40.00 a night for my $95.00 a night 2 bedroom on the ocean. And other bizzare offers that if I don't accept and they don't like my answer,I get penalized.So far I have not been but still,I have to take the time out to write and explain myself.

Ginger

@Ryan-And-Stacy0 What kind of offers do you decline that make you get penalized?

No,I have not been penalized yet because when airbnb asks me why,my excuses seem acceptable to them.

I have to explain to airbnb why I declined though, like a couple going on a year long honeymoon that thought I should only charge them 45.00, because well,they were on their Year long honeymoon.

And a woman who wanted my place for 600. for the month because that's what she pays at homeand can't afford more then that.This during high season.And airbnb gives me the shout,"Why didn't you accept Debra?"

So I have to sit down and try to nicely explain to them that I'm trying to run a buisness like they are.

I am a superhost.I work hard at keeping my people happy and it shows in my reviews.

I enjoy meeting people and making them happy so they have the very best experience and bang for their buck.

I am sure I will get a bad review with my present guest who is pushing me too. Firstly she checked in way beyond the check in time which is excused as she is coming from overseas. But then expecting me to cook dinner for her which I did as a courtesy. She did not even carry a soap or toiletries. The next day I gave her hot breakfast and lunch and took her to the shops and showed her where she could buy grocery or food but she made no move to buy anything. Her personal habits are not good either - resulting in me getting sick, she sneezes and coughs all over the place. Today she expected lunch and dinner as well. I have written for support. I had offered her really low special rate - $37 in Sydney which is unheard of. 

@Vimla0 you are so (too) nice! It seems like she is trying to see how far she can push you/what else she can get away with. However, at this point, it is not 100% her fault because you are allowing/giving her permission to do all of this. If you have a minute, this post might be helpful > https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/listing-and-reservations/pag...

Does your listing say that you cook meals for your guests?

Or that you take them around to shop?

If not, do not do these things.

People will do to you what you allow them to do.

I have a saying that pretty much says it all : WHAT YOU PERMIT YOU PROMOTE

I think its true.

Stop doing all those things.  You are doing them a favour renting out your space for so low a figure.  Don't be so desperate. Just say "No".

@Farah1

I totally get the oven incident. I am fairly strict about certain rules as well, and depending on how the guest asks and the situation - if it's clear no one is trying to take advantage of me or my kindness, then I actually don't mind being a little flexible. But it's just so annoying when people (not just guests) KNOW what the rules are but act or think as if the rules don't apply to them, and then turn around and make me the bad guy when THEY are the ones who are breaking the rules. 

I agree that sometimes, a not so good review can actually be a good thing because most "decent" people will be able to tell if it's an unreasonable rant from an immature bully who is angry they didn't get special treatment or someone who didn't bother to properly read the house rules and listing description. It will show that you don't put up with BS 🙂 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 I agree 100%!!

@Jessica-and-Henry0  I think that today we must deal with so many Narcissist out there and having a narcissist for a mother I can speak from experience. 1] Rules are for everyone else BUT NOT the  narcissist  and they push and test and push more 2] they are so special and so everyone should do all extras and anything they request  it is just expected and demanded  or manipulated 3] when told NO the Narcissist will do everything in their power to change that to YES - and usually it is unpleasant 4] They are NEVER wrong - and NEVER responsible for anything that occurs - unless it is grand and then its ALL because of them and their brillance. I could go on....I'm sure many of you know narcissist - they have a way of making everyone else believe they are crazy, stupid and wrong. 

Oh, we all know a very famous Narcissist right now. Our Pres Mr. Trump

Lovely0
Level 2
Teaneck, NJ

Thank you I don't feel so bad now. 

Barbara453
Level 3
Pompano Beach, FL

In regards to reviews I strongly think that the guests should have the option of writing their review first.... then you write yours..... because as a host I try to overlook some bad / wrong things that are tolerable so I don't highlight & often give average or good reviews.People are so different you never know what you're going to get.... what hurts is when you can tell they deliberately do wrong things and then write a bad review after they read yours which might have been moderate or in some cases a good review... how about when they do not right a review.