Block People

Wei-and-Ting0
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Block People

Not sure where to send feature requests, so sorry if this is the wrong place to post. Anyways, I really think Airbnb should provide a way to block specific users, to stop them from booking (if instant book on) or contacting you. Of course it should work both ways, so guests can block hosts who keep bothering them too.

Hosts shouldn't be able to block confirmed guest in case there are emergencies, also blocked users should ideally be kept in the dark, with their "blockers" simply disapearing from their interface and search results (just in case some people get really offended or something).

Do you think this would be a good feature to have?

134 Replies 134

same here, they smile and say "everything is great!" then write something derrogatory in the review. My listing is titled as a small space, and gives actual measurements of the rooms. A coupe guests wrote my description was inaccurate and the room was "smaller than expected". Really? Exact measurements did not give them a clue?

I'm dealing with a guest I declined because thier communication in response to my screening questions included gas lighting.  Now they keep messaging demanding I offer them a stay and I want to block them but don't know how.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

@James101 this happens to me all the time. I get the apartment back with all lights , air/con or heating (depending on the season) full on - there goes my money literally by the window.  

They also usually assume I'll be right to the flat to clean it up so they often leave the door opened which means anyone in the building could enter my property. 

There are all sorts of people that i d like to block. The only way so far is to switch off Instant Booking and read guests previous comments...

Yes.

I realize Air BnB wants us all to allow instant book, but we are not a hotel.  These are our homes.  We have a right to prescreen, protect our property, and expect reasonable courtesy and consideration from our guests. 

I know your frustration! I had a guest from Nigeria (very hot climate compared to Canada). She was a pleasant person to speak to, but a very high maintenance guest all around. The worst part was that she was constantly freezing, despite it being the middle of summer. This, after I cranked the furnace up to an ungodly temperature IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER, 3 months before I normally turn the furnace on! I had to block the furnace vents in my bedroom, sleep with the windows open, and go to bed with ice packs just to sleep at night. I now have a note in the house rules stating the temperature the house is maintained at during the summer and winter. 

Steve

@Steve2743  Good on you to update your House Rules....Bravo!  The High Maintenance guests are definitely my least fav especially when I already clean their bathroom daily, make a huge breakfast daily, grind my own coffee beans, wash, dry and FOLD their laundry for them, wake them up if needed, book their activities, prepare water bottles w/ice for them daily, prepare a cooler with ice, etc...A LOT....and then I get the ones who say...."Hey Momi, can you wash this ONE item tomorrow because we forgot to put it in the laundry bag you provided?"  (this is after I have already washed an entire load for them that day so they didn't have to pack dirty clothes for their next destination) or the ones who say...."Can we have another GALLON ZIP LOC bag to put our open sunscreen in?"  -

Mind you I already provide tylenol, sunscreen, bug repellent, q-tips, band aids, aloe gel, nail clippers, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, cold medicine, melatonin sleep pills, toothpaste, razors, nail files, dental floss, sewing kit, tampons, etc....FOR FREE! - smh

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Wow!  I sure hope you're charging for all that!

Maybe provide a portable heater for that room only?

I agree. I just have a guest who booked shorter than 24 h in advance, but as I got a cancellation 3 h before, I accepted (everything was prepared). Despite of the agreed hour, he showed up 3 h later (one of us had to leave work far much earlier, to by on spot exactly at 16:00), no explanation, not even a sorry. Then asked whan he will leave on the depatrure day, he responded that he has no idea. Behaves as "he paid, he will be exigent", treating us like a cheap hotel 24/24. He got a special 45% lower rate that day, and he believes that we are just to serve. I am scarred what I will find the day of departure...

I fully support the idea of the option of blocking certaani users by the host. Otherwise I will loose attractivity by disabling instant booking.

You can block! Go the guests' message chain. Click report --> Something else. 

That only blocks messages, not bookings.

@Maria1064  Just wanted to clarify something with you after reading your posts.....every host can absolutely use the Report button to block messages coming in AND future bookings as well.  Once you click on the red link below the guests name, and choose the option as to why you are blocking, that particular guests will NOT be able to book again with the host who used the blocking option.  Be super careful about what you post on the CC ok....because inaccurate information will only confuse others.  Hope I was able to clear this up for you.  

FYI- Recently, I blocked a Oct 2017 guests from contacting me again. She sent harassing messages to me after she read the 3 Star accurate honest review I wrote on them.  Yes, they broke several house rules during 4 night stay which was documented through out their stay on their ABB account. This guests will no longer be able to message me nor book my place again.  Plus I "red flagged" her messages so Airbnb Safety and Trust Team to get involved as her behavior is a violation of the Airbnb T & C for all travelers. 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Belinda18
Level 1
Jamestown, TN

I have just had my first bad group of guests. The person making the reservation made it for 3 nights 3 people. She never arrived and at one point there were 8 (we allow 5) scattered about the house. She'd talked about going to a family reunion but I think they had the reunion at my house.

Now I hear that she would like to try again and that some of those who stayed want to return as well. Would like to block her group but don't see an option other than changing my booking method which is not something I want to do. Anybody find a solution?

How to do this is outlined thre times in this thread...go back and read.

Shane-And-Joanne0
Level 1
Riverton, Australia

Yes I agree need to be able to block people you have had a bad experience with, from using instant book.

I had an instant book only my second guest at that stage and he made me question my doing Airbnb at all.

Things were broken and missing and a massive mess left dishes and glitter of all thing  ! after just one night.

Hence I don't allow 1 nighters anymore and not totally convinced about airbnbs beta pricing that allowed such a cheap price in the first place.

That night cost me way more than the guest.