Bookings stopped and we are not showing up in searches

Charles-and-Bella0
Level 2
United Kingdom

Bookings stopped and we are not showing up in searches

Hi 

We have been taking regular bookings for 18 months with over 80% utilization, we have instant book on, smart pricing on, and 100% availability from Jan 2017.

When I run an anonymous test booking on my listing I cannot find it anywhere and we have received no booking from Jan onwards so I can only assume no one else can see it either.

The last booking request we received was in Oct, but we booked up early for Nov/Dec so I was not suprised.  I can see in Stats that views of our listing have halved in Nov - all understandable as Jan is a slow month.  But my concern is I cannot find my listing even when I specifically search for it and I know it should be there:

Listing URL

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6831621

Any ideas?

Thanks

Charles

15 Replies 15
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Charles-and-Bella0  Found your place right away when I adjusted for Instant Book, entire place, and nightly rate.  I did notice your nightly rate for search purposes is a bit higher than your January rate.  Might want to adjust that down just while your rate is lower.

Hi Linda

Thanks, that is reassuring.  I wonder why we do not appear on the map search 

OK - I think I might have solved it.  I hope this helps someone else in the same situation...

When I did my test booking, I logged out of AirBnB and used the Chrome incogneto tab to make sure I looked at AirBnb without any preset cookies etc... I then ran a search and used Instant Booking as one of my filters - we have Instant Booking set and "Recommendation from other hosts" set as an Additional Requirement.  So as an anonymous user, Instant Booking would not have been available to me - apprantly, AirBnb will only return listings that have no additional Instant Booking guest requirements to anonymous guests...  Once I logged in (under a different profile just to check) out listing poped up 🙂 

Hope that saves someone some time!

Charles,

Do you have “Government-issued ID” switched on in Additional requirements for Instant book? Or you switched that off as well?

Hi Boris

No we did not bother with that, we just use "Recommendation from other hosts"

Helen19
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Hello -

We are experiencing the same situation and our timeframe is identical to yours.  We've been a very active site since last August 2015 with 85% utilization.  Mid-Ootober of this year, we stopped getting any requests.  We have switched to  "instant booking" and lowered our price.  My husband did a search (city and neighborhood) and said our listing showed up.

In reading the chain of conversations, I'm still not convinced we have identified the problem.  It definately has to do with visibility.  What has Airbnb done to create complications regarding listing visibility?

Brenda53
Level 2
Milw, WI

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/16078325?checkin=01%2F01%2F2017&checkout=01%2F31%2F2017&guests=2&adults...

I'm having same problem -- but just with this unit.  I see it when I DON'T select instant booking.  Thanks in advance for your help.

LeighAnn2
Level 4
Maine, United States

Our bookings came to a screeching halt. I just did a search and only my booking shows up in Boston for my selected time period which means everyone is booked. I selected 12/19 - 12/22. I find it hard to believe we are the only unit available in our location. In I checked our pricing and I think it is ok. Can someone check my listing and tell me what you think. Thanks!

Btw, I have 2 listings. I am talking about my Boston listing. Thanks!

Hi Leigh Ann

Your listing looks fine, you are in a competative part of town, but you have 0 bedrooms listed, so anyone searching for one or two bedrooms etc will not see you.  You also have instant booking turned off which may filter you out of some more searches.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response.  I have been booked non-stop since August, then suddenly no bookings.  My unit appeals to couples,girl friends, solo business travelers and has not been an issue.  It is essentially like a large hotel room with a separate kitchen and bath.  My location is probably the absolute best for sightseeing and business.  Plus, I am on the first level (many Boston places are walk up brown stones which can be an issue for many). So, I do not understand the sudden stop because no one has complained about size, etc...in the reviews.  I also noticed that many other units seems booked.  I lowere my prices to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks so much for looking.  I am relieved to know that it shows up in the search!

Best, Leigh Ann

@LeighAnn2  Searching as a traveler I found your Boston listing immediately.  For an initial search the zero bedroom is not an issue, but I think a studio can be one bedroom if you think it could limit views.  You have more experience than I as to seasonal changes for Boston, but today it was reported that Boston will have a MINU 17 degree weather later in the week.  Since I live in a warm part of the US, it would never think of going to Boston in the winter, but I am a real weather wuss.LOL

@Linda108 Thanks for looking and your thoughts!  What concerns me is that all the units remotely near me seem booked.  I lowered my prices.  I have had non-stop bookings up until Thanksgiving, then, nothing!  It could be a seasonal thing.  I hope to get inquiries soon!

Best,

Leigh Ann

Hi all, I wanted to join this discussion because we have the same problem this year. We are listed since 2014 (2 listings) and normally as from december we have to get regularly inquieries because people are booking their summer holidays in the winter. Now in december 2016 and this year in January suddenly we don't receive any inquiery at all ? I did an anonymous search and I don't even appear in the search listings for Crete in general?? We have instant booking selected and I even uploaded new photos. I don't now what I did wrong or what is happening... Can you maybe check our listing ? we have about 20 positive reviews for both listings together... It is really important for us to have customers for this season. thanks very much for your help !