Brussels legislation

Ilse4
Level 1
Brussels, Belgium

Brussels legislation

Dear Airbnb-ers from Brussels,

I read in the news paper a couple of weeks ago that there are new rules for renting out in Brussels. The article also said that Airbnb would organise an evening to explain the new rules. Did someone hear about this? Has anyone already made the change? I don't think I will get a permission of the 60 co-owners, so I guess, this will be the end of my airbnb-life. Still, I would like to know how it would be possible.

All the best,

Ilse

38 Replies 38

Hello Ilse. I know it spunds crazy, but there is no help from airbnb about the new rules . And most of the hosts seem unconcerned about hese major, and forbidding, rules. I also asked about news from the meeting on may 12, but I gor no reply.

At the moment I am just planning to add here, if I find a way, the conversations that we had in one of the Groups and not lose everything on May 31.

Anita150
Level 2
City of Brussels, Belgium

Dear Elena, 

sorry a question to you as you seem to be knowing a lot already about the subject : what is the deadline of 21st May? 

For example, today i got a message from Airbnb, telling that here is the income for my annual declaration... Hmmm.. i hope it is a STANDARD message. 

I closed my listing and i m not planning to continue with all those rules..i hosted only in 2016... 

Anita150
Level 2
City of Brussels, Belgium

Do i have really to declare? How would they know i did not?

Martin a month ago

New Brussels' Regulations

Hey everybody,
The law changed this week in Brussels for us airbnb host. You need to declare yourself and fill in a lot of paper work. I've done some phone calls and research and basically to get more info i recommend this website : http://www.werk-economie-emploi.irisnet.be/en/hebergement-touristique

You will need to see in which category you are: either "homestay accodomation" (meaning that you provide services including breakfast, and you can receive people all year long BUT your revenue will be taxed as professionnal revenue. Or you declare yourself as "tourist residence" (meaning you don't provide any services whatsoever, you can only receive people 4 month a year but your revenue should be taxed as "mobiler and immobilier revenue". I'm not entirely sure of this, but this is the results of my research from now on... Any experts please confirm ! 🙂
Martin

elena 3 days ago

I would like to, I have printed out the list for all the documents. It is not impossible, but very time consuming and all the certifications won't come cheap. I have paid 400€ to an electrician just for the conformity of electricity in one small apartment... If anybody has time and will to deal with the Belgian authorities it would be a great work opportunity: sort out all the admin and file the registration requests for Airbnb hosts! I am abroad most of the time and this is going to be an hassle to deal with. A "grouping" approach would be great, like the groupes d'achats, as I already proposed. The insolvable problem is the reception present on location during working hours, Mon to Fri, for the Tourism Residences, as I guess most of us offer. No solution for that...

elena 3 days ago
Has anybody gone to the meeting that Airbnb organised with some Belgian political figure on May 12? Anything interesting from there?

Martin 2 days ago
When i phoned the people at http://www.werk-economie-emploi.irisnet.be/en/hebergement-touristique. They said the "reception" issue doesn't really apply for airbnb hosts and we should not worry about that... While calling them and raising some issues about how things would apply to airbnb hosts, the guy also said several times "yes, that's a good point, i didn't know that".... So :)... It's still a very new issue for the controllers as well i think. I think the most important is to declare the airbnb revenue in your year tax return, the goal of making hosting more official is also to make sure people declare these revenue, which is fair to be honest! 😉

Gianluca a day ago
So you mean that we don't have to do anything apart from declaring our revenues ?

elena a day ago
I would not say that Gianluca. If you want to keep being an Airbnb host you must follow the procedure and declare yourself, to regularise your status. Therefore keeping the deadline of July 23 and the pack of documents to prepare and present. In principle we were supposed to pay the taxes before this all came out...the big push was from the hotels, B&Bs etc that were seeing us as disloyal competition and put the tax and safety issues as the excuse...because, if we all leave in the spaces that we are offering, what's the need for all those documents and certificates? We do not even need most of them if we want to rent long term! Anyway, I am starting to look at the procedure and the papers, and I will try to get to the July deadline for the regularisation. I will keep you informed.

elena a day ago

I must say though that I find very weird two facts:
- we are always, and only, the same VERY FEW people talking about this
- Airbnb is dead silent again.
For the first point I wonder where are the other hosts talking about this...or they are all planning to play dead and pretend that nothing has changed.
The second point seems to indicate that we are quite low on Airbnb list of interests. It is clear that the literal application of the ordonnance would kill Airbnb here. And yet they do not show any special interest. After December already, and definitely after the March attacks I could just buy the cigarettes with the money earned with Airbnb...and I do not smoke!

Martin 14 hours ago

just one question, you mentioned the deadline of 23rd of July. Where did you hear about this deadline?
Thanks!

elena 13 hours ago

It is on the site that you mentioned on your first post. This is the link to the relevant page for résidence de tourisme, deadline is the same also for the home stay: http://www.werk-economie-emploi.irisnet.be/fr/web/aee/guide-hebergement-touristique?next=WizHT_Trans...

steve 13 hours ago

Hi Elena ,
Wat You say is Indeed the true , like i say i Am a legal host from the begining , so for me No problem .. But wat i wanna say is 80% On airbnb do iT not On the legal way , if they must do That ... Then You Will find after a Year No hosts anymore On airbnb ,
You Will see everything Stays like it is , there comes only a new tax for everybody thats all ... ITS not possible for make controle to everyhost individuel

Gianluca 7 hours ago

I feel that the only option is to end it all as it will be impossible to obtain the permission from the other owners in the building.
Plus Airbnb is totally absent here and I feel really isolated. On top on this airbnb is going even to close the groups so the isolation Will be even greater...

Hello all,

Am also starting to gather papers for the 1 year extension, to see how the legislation evolves, and if the full procedure will be required.

A few questions;

- how do you prove that you have been in activity since before 2016? Does the listing on airbnb and sign-up date suffice?

(une preuve que vous exploitiez votre hébergement avant le 24/04/2016 😉

- has anyone found someone who will certify electricy and heating together, ie the full package and for a reasonable price?

Thanks, Hatsy

Hello All,

I have been a traveler and used Airbnb many times.  Now I am thinking about buying a place near the Netherlands to have a second place and also an airbnb.  Can you tell me if the laws are only for Brussels or Belgium?    I plan to report the revenues on my taxes and will not permenantly live on site.  

Thank you,

Clay

Hi, I'm a Non-EEA student and I'm currently studying in Leuven, I rented a studio here and recently(last month) I've made an account in Airbnb to be a host while I'm on a vacation(every vacation takes maximum 2 weeks). I kinda worried about the new regulations that you are all talking about and actually really confused! I'm new here and kinda have no idea what should I do ,
Could someone please tell me that should I pay taxes?! if yes is it possible to help me about what should I do or with who should I speak?

Thank you so much.

Hi Armita,

I would be very careful with unlawfully renting out your room. As of 2016, the Belgian government is very strict about holiday rentals through Airbnb. The problem is that Airbnb lets you create an account, however, this does not mean you are allowed to rent out just yet according to Belgian law.

You should:

- apply for it (send in a file with e.g. conformity cerficiates for electricity, approval of landlord/lady, ...). You can not rent out until your application has been approved/declined, and you definitely can not rent out if it has been declined. You most defintely can not rent out without the approval of your landlord/lady (which is sort of logical I guess). They do supervise, and I have heard of heavy fines (up to 25k).

- you need to declare it and pay taxes:

on a monthly basis you pay tourist tax 

on an annual basis you pay income tax

I'm afraid there is no way around it, and I discourage you to rent out if you are not in order with the above for your own sake 🙂

Good luck!

Hello Armita

In Belgium your not allowed to under rent a residence.

Not a lawyer.

Hi Armita! I wanted to do Airbnb in my studio the days I am not home, did the regulation change also for Leuven? Have you had any issues? Best!

Damien12
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Hi Ilse,

Currently facing the same situation as yours: the general assembly of the co-owners in my building is set to take place this week and I don't have high hopes that it will lead to an agreement on allowing short term rentals.

Have you heard more about the topic since your initial post? Any way to get around the issue?

Kind regards,

Damien

Dear all, 

It is very strange. Only now I see your posts, because I looked for it myself. The other airbnb-group seems to have closed.

I am home the next couple of weeks and will try to get the papers in order to do it at least one more year. The extension of the one year is quite possible if you get the papers in order and if you payed taxes last year. Everything is explained on the link which was posted above.

Adam45
Level 1
Sint-Jans-Molenbeek, Belgium

Greetings, 

Will there be a meeting soon about brussels legislation?...or a link to meeting dates?  

thanks 

adam