Cancellation?

Tonnya0
Level 1
San Clemente, CA

Cancellation?

Hello, I have a reservation for this weekend.  I recieved a phone message from the guy and prior to his booking he did ask me if our house had been recently painted as he has paint allergies.  I informed him it had not and he went ahead and booked.  The message today was that he has multiple allergies to air freshners ect.  I need to leave all windows open.... I am feeling like this may not be a good fit after all and sent him an email letting him know it may be best if we cancel.  What is best way to handle this situation.

Tonnya

2 Replies 2
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

As you probably know, if you cancel then you will incur some pretty heavy penalties. If he wishes to cancel then let him do so. If he doesn't and you feel uncomfortable with the situation, then contact AirBnB and see what their view is. 

You do not have to cater to every random request from a guest.  Tell him you will not open all the windows for hours to air out the house. Then list all the ways you use airfresheners in your home that you do not plan to stop doing for his reservation - scented lotion, scented candles, scented laundry detergent, scented hand soap, scented deodorant, scented shampoo, perfume, toilet bowl cleaner, floor cleaner, whatever you have that you use that "re-odorizes" the house.  

Reiteratie, if this will be a problem, he should book elsewhere where he will be more comfortable.  People with allergies and sensitivity to environmental/industrial smells know they have a tough time so being upfront about his needs should have been key and a respectful way of allowing you decline should you not want to be a part of cleansing your home of smells. 

Do not cancel on his behalf.  He has a duty to be upfront about his needs and failed to do so.  He should do the cancelling.