Cancellations and blocking of calendar

Lim4
Level 2
George Town, Malaysia

Cancellations and blocking of calendar

Had an enquiry from a guest about a month long stay.
During the conversation with the guest, I had an instant booking from another guest for 1 week around the same time.

Because I prefer longer staying guests I cancelled the instant booking within 5 mins and turned off the instant booking option.
After doing all that, I found that those dates were blocked off and I was no longer able to offer the room to the first guest.

I contacted airbnb support via phone and they told me a manager will contact me ASAP. That was the 13th of July.
I have called the support centre 3 days in those days, and each time they would repeat the same line.

As the booking was urgent, I have lost both bookings.

I am not angry at that, I am angry at the lack of efficiency of the customer support manager and airbnb sending me emails warning me that money will be deducted from the instant booking cancellation when I have read on their site instant bookings will not be subjected to that penalty.

8 Replies 8
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Lim4 that is the penalty that host will get for cancelling a reservation. If it is really necessary to cancel a booking, do not do it yourself. Contact airbnb and ask for their assistance to make sure that you will not be penalized for it. For this case, I understand that you prefer a longer booking, but that is not your guest's fault nor responsibility. As a host, we have responsibility and commitment. I would not want/be happy if my guest cancel the reservation because they find a cheaper place for example. Getting the place booked while negotiating with others is one of the risks of having IB active.

Lim4
Level 2
George Town, Malaysia

This is written on the airbnb cancellation policy.

For Instant Book hosts only

You can cancel instant bookings penalty-free an unlimited number of times if you’re uncomfortable with a reservation or if a guest breaks one of your House Rules. “Penalty-free” means you won’t pay a fee, lose Superhost status (or eligibility for it), or receive any of the other penalties mentioned above.

@Lim4 in which case do you think this situation falls under? "not comfortable with the reservation" means the guest is difficult/disagree with house rules/ask for something you cannot accommodate, and more.

However, if you want to always cancel penalty free anytime you want to make more money, then how can your guests (especially your IB guests) can rely on you? 

Per your information on your post, this guest does not make you feel uncomfortable nor breaking your house rules.

If you feel that you have a strong reasoning for the penalty free, then you should contact airbnb to assist you if they can help waive the penalty.

I do not think they should waive the penalty because as host, we need to be reliable as we want guests to be reliable as well.

@Lim4

But neither of those apply to you. You weren't uncomfortable and the guest did not break any rules.

Lim4
Level 2
George Town, Malaysia

Yeah, that was my mistake.
Guess I am just not cut out for this airbnb thing.

@Lim4 you can always turn the IB off like what you did and only accept the reservation that you want. 

Lim4
Level 2
George Town, Malaysia

Not worth the trouble. 
After realising the airbnb's level of "efficiency" and their idea of "urgency".
Gonna clear up this booking and turn off.
Been reading about and hearing all the horror stories regarding airbnb and it is just not worth risking my home.

@Lim4 I have been hosting for 4 years and fortunately I have way more of good experiences compared to bad experiences. I think it is not only about airbnb, but about hosting in general, and hosting does not always work for everyone. Hey, life is a risk! 🙂

Best wishes for you.