Cancelling a guest booking in advance of their stay.

Joanna-And-Mark0
Level 2
Castle Hill, Australia

Cancelling a guest booking in advance of their stay.

I am looking for some feedback from the community about potentially cancelling a booking.

The guest made an enquiry about a booking and during the exchange we asked several important questions about the booking to help us get clarity about their group and requirements.

The information we requested was: ages of the group and mix ie adult vs children and reseason for staying.

The response we recieved were satisfactatory and appeared ligitimate.

The booking went through and as part of our follow up process we phoned the guest  as they are local to our region.We do this with every booking - where local to help validate our initial questions.

The answers I received during the call were completly different to the information provided in the email exchange.

The difference include mix of group - more adults than children now - nature of their stay was given as end of year celebration ( house rules indicate no parties).

I have explained my conerns about the parties and indicted that the change of mix impacts how we set the house up$$.

Do we have reasonable ground to cancel this booking and would a fee/penalty apply to us as host - Happy to refund the guest - the money is not important - prefer to have a property without damage as we head into the peak season. 

5 Replies 5
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I am a little confused about your situation, @Joanna-And-Mark0.  You are concerned that fewer children will change the nature of the reason the guests are staying and will cost you more money to set up the house.  Is that right?  You do not allow parties and you are interpreting the celebration really means party.  

As a result of the conversation with the booking guest, you now want to cancel the booking.  Don't do it.  If you believe the guests are not adhering to your house rules and not being accurate about who is in the party, contact Air BNB and seek assistance with the cancellation.  Otherwise all the host penalties will be assessed including blocking the dates of the current booking.  Good luck

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"Do we have reasonable ground to cancel this booking and would a fee/penalty apply to us as host..."

There are too many possible points for different interpretations, so if you cancel, expect a very messy process. Like Linda said, do not cancel. Best to try to get the guest or Airbnb to do so.

The tricky part is the private conversation, which is what caused you to have second thoughts, but Airbnb has zero record of that.

Francesca62
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Joanna and Mark,

I am in favor of cancelling the booking on the basis of misrepresentation and false information. The trust has been broken. However, I recommend you create a document trail. Write the guests an email through the airbnb platform and summarize the conversation and perhaps say that you wanted to followup to your phone conversation in which they stated the number of guests would change, express your concern that their celebration might turn into a party that is against policy, and anything else that was contrary to the previous information they supplied.  I would then call Airbnb and tell them that you wish to cancel without penalty on the basis of material changes (number of adults)  that you did not approve of, and are willing to fully refund the guest. 

In my experience, I always give someone the benefit of the doubt, believe in second chances when there has been an honest mistake or contrition, but I also believe that red flags should not be ignored, and when things get off on the wrong foot, it usually gets worse not better. For me, it's more about the experience than the money, and I've learned to trust my instincts.

Good luck and I'm curious to hear what you decide to do. 

Francesca appreciate the feedback.
The red flag for us is the partying as they are celebarating end of season sport - letting off steam so to speak and that we have a full schedule of peak summer bookings ahead so any damage will no doubt put that at risk. Getting trades people to fix any thing this close to end of year can be problematic.

I will raise the issue with airbnb and at the same time write to the group and ask them to achnowledge the house rules and restate their booking arrangements as per the phone call.

We a have coded security box conatiningthe keys to our property, I text the access code to the lead party at an appropriate time on their checkin day.I will also make them aware of this along with the need to be transparent.

I will proceed with caution as suggested.

Hi Joanna and Mark,

Glad I could help, and I appreciate your perspective as we all learn from each other. I too send the lockbox code to the lead guest on the day of reservation, but maybe in this instance might be wise to meet in person for the key transfer and an orientation so you can reiterate the rules, and that you hope they have a fun celebration but it doesn't get out of hand. If you can't meet them initially, perhaps you can meet them later - sometimes a human face will make them realize the property belongs to a human and not a faceless corporation. Another host has security cameras in the public areas and reminds the guests that there is camera surveillence.  Lastly, I just learned from another owner that she personally does the walkthrough checkout with the guest. I am considering doing this or at least telling the guest that you will meet them to collect keys - the suggestion of it, alone might be enough to keep them on the straight path - however, if there is alcohol involved, all that will go out the window!

Good luck to you, I hope it turns out okay!