Charging for a Paid Amenity - is it possible any more

Peter0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Charging for a Paid Amenity - is it possible any more

The latest version of the website no longer has the place for charging for extra services on the guest Inbox.  I use it regularly so does anyone know if they have withdrawn this function.  

5 Replies 5
Keith1
Level 10
SF, CA

I have no idea why they would move that feature.

I see that you can still do this but it's via the resolution center.

Choose the reservation,
Select "Request payment for extra services"  under "Select a reason"
Click "continue"
Fill out the form.

it seems this is basically the same way you ask for or give any kind of money...  I do believe there is a difference between charging for an amenity vs.  a refund request or a reimbursement, so I'm not sure where the logic is here, other than it may simply things for airbnb programmers.

Peter0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for that, Keith.  It's just like you said.  No idea why they moved it.  I just wish Airbnb would have an open bulletin board for us to explain the difficulties we have with their software.  Surely they would benefit so much if people like us could send a message to someone who might read it explaining how our lives are assisted or hindered by their software.  

I use the Charge for a Paid Amenity thing a lot - for paying for a taxi, offering a dinner or sorting out something extra for the guest.  A very useful tool which they announced when they introduced it but don't seem to be as good at unannouncing when they discontinue (or change) it.  

I am also bummed it's gone, as I use (used) that function a lot.  I used it most often to easily add an extra guest fee when it gets complicated on X number of guests on X nights.  I've also used it to charge guests for small things like broken wineglasses, etc.   

I find so many of these changes - both on the forums and on the site - to be reactions to something well intended, but badly executed.  I myself participated in the new app beta testing a few months ago, so I know that TPTB are trying to involve veteran hosts, but I don't think enough practical testing is happening.   It's a "bug test" rather then "does this make sense" test.

Anyhow, we can all add "flexible with new platforms" to our CV's, right?

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

I never found the payment version via the guest's inbox you mention. This Summer I used the resolution center for refund of postal fees for fogotten items. Seems kind of weird go through the reclamation forms and get the warning that airbnb may have the last decision but it worked nicely.

Ernie0
Level 10
San Francisco, CA

Hi Peter, 

That is the feature I miss the most. It was very convenient. Shame they eliminated it.

Cheers, 
Ernie T.