Check in guide

Richard561
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

Check in guide

Hi, I've just noticed the check in guide feature which looks handy. I'd just like to work out if this is automatically sent to all confirmed guests or can I select which guests I send it to?

Thanks

41 Replies 41

Hi Jacki (and Kim), yes that's been our experience as well. Further, it seems that only a few of our guests (mostly the younger ones) actually have the app on their mobile phones. We have to resort to texting and/or using instant messaging services in the majority of cases. I'm considering a questionaire post-confirmation that asks if they have the app, telling them how to get it if not, and recommending highly that they do so. We use it when travelling and find it handy to store info in 'Wallet' on our iPhones.

I find saved messages really helpful In that case. I just saved answers to the common questions.

Have you thought of adding the link to your guide in your message a day or two before? This would "force" them to use it.

Heather158
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I have just been informed by Airbnb that the check in guide is not available to any guests and is therefore useless.  What on Earth is the point in it then?? 

Guillaume352
Level 2
Évian-les-Bains, France

I've been using a checkin guide that I send to my guests via a message 2 to 3 days before their arrival. In the message, I send them the link to the checkin guide: https://www.airbnb.com/reservation/check-in-guide/XxxxxxX

This has worked very well for many guests, but not for others who ended up asking last minute questions and told me they couldn't open the guide. Yesterday however, I ended up going to the apartment I'm renting and meeting my guests in person, because they could not open the checkin guide and therefore didn't know how to get in the apartment. I kindly asked my guest to show me the message I had sent her, which she did, and I made a very interesting discovery: even though she was using the Airbnb application, the link to the checkin guide on her cellphone was NOT CLICKABLE ! In other words, the URL was showing as normal text on her cellphone... She therefore definitely couldn't open the checkin guide...

I'm not sure if somehow she was using an old version of the Airbnb or if it was because she was using the Airbnb app in Chinese (I've had many guests coming from asian countries telling me that they were not able to open the checkin guide), but this definitely sounds like a bug in Airbnb that should be fixed !

As a workaround, I added, below the link to my checkin guide, some textual instructions which give my guest a workaround if they are not able to open the guide, but if anyone knows how to file a bug report to Airbnb, please let me know.

Hi Guilaume,

It might be because of the version of android they use that does not support in-text URL recognition, I guess its even more popular with phones sold in China. 

It is a security feature that only the booking account can open the link (either via the app or web browser that have the booking account logged in). It is very inconvenient indeed many guest somehow just could not open the link.

So its best to send guests the check in guide link with message to instruct them that they need to open the link using the airbnb app. 

Good day all.  I had an issue where the images were not showing in the check in guide steps.  I spoke with customer service and they said the more who report it the morenlikey it is to get fixed.  So if you are having trouble call them.  Thanks and have a good one.  Aaron

Hi I have a reservation in Carlsbad today but I can't get access to Check in guide to get the code house

Mélanie-and-Andrew0
Level 2
St. Catharines, Canada

How do I share it or link to it. A guest asked how to check in it would be nice to refer to the guide I created.

Hi @Mélanie-and-Andrew0,

I will try to help:

1- On the Airbnb App on your mobile phone go to the “Listings Section” on the bottom of the main screen.

C63506F6-5086-4F8F-8D6C-BCBF09EFFD09.jpeg

2- Click on the listing you want to edit.

3- Scroll down into the GUEST RESOURCES section and click on “Checkin instructions”

E7E87A7D-5249-417B-B14D-419074E4645D.jpeg

4- Click the 3 dots in the upper right corner. Select the checkin method that better fits your needs (Smart lock, Keypad, Lockbox, Building Staff, etc)

13A72DAF-EB92-41E3-93A4-49163DBC9C42.jpeg

5- Start creating your Checkin Instructions by adding steps. In each step you can add a picture and also a written explanation below. There is a “See Sample Guide” icon that you can also check and use it as reference.

748ACC18-036C-457B-9E9B-4B4E9B5B14B4.jpeg

6- Once finished, you can click on “Preview” to see how it looks and then click on “Publish” to make it available.

7- Because Airbnb eliminated the “key icon” to share checkin instructions via messaging , you can create your CHECKIN link.

8- Open your listing on a browser (Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc)

9-Look for an 8 digit number on the URL after the wording rooms/

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/xxxxxxxx. That 8 digit number is your Listing number.

10-Copy/paste your listing number and then add it at the end of the link below after the wording “guide/“

https://www.airbnb.com/reservation/check-in-guide/XxxxxxX

11- Once you create the link, test it by yourself to be sure there are no errors. You can then share this link with your guests via messaging and they will be able to click on it and follow the instructions.

Hope this helps 🙂

One million thumbs up for this post!! Life saver!

Brigid48
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

It took me a long time to figure out that you can only see check in guide on app! Wish I had seen Callie's message before that . My guests are getting a reminder notification 48 hours before check in but when they click the link in message ( I'm guessing the link to my check in guide ) they recieve an "oops page missing message " , anyone know why ?