Could you go plastic free?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Could you go plastic free?

Plastic free.jpg

Hello everyone,

With regular stories in the news referring to plastic in our oceans, it does feel that there is more talk than ever on wanting to address these issues. As part of this, recycling comes up a lot, but even more so there is a need to have more of a reusable (circular) idea about the product that we use. However, as an individual how easy is it to reduce our consumption?

With this in mind, if you had to go plastic free, or look to reduce the amount of plastic you throw away, do you think you would be able to do this? Perhaps you are doing this at the moment?

It would be great to discuss and hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

148 Replies 148
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I have never used garbage bags, except in the kitchen garbage container- the bathroom bins are the kind that the lid lifts by stepping on a pedal. When I empty those, they go into a large bag with all the other garbage that has accumulated, but it won't be a purchased garbage bag- I buy those huge bags of dog food, and those make good bags to empty the bins into, or I'll use some other bag that I've brought something home from the store in- no bag has never done double-duty. Then I wash out the garbage can.

And the kitchen bags are also recycled- I try to remember to bring my shopping bags, but inevitably end up with a bag full of plastic bags. One small kitchen bag lasts for 2 weeks- I have a compost bin, so no food goes in the garbage, and I recycle glass, cardboard, and other plastics. I save up all the metal garbage, every little piece, like a bad outside faucet that needed to be replaced, or even old nails, tin and aluminum cans, etc and when the bag is full, take it to the metal recycling place, where they weigh it and pay me!

I store food in the fridge in glass containers with reusable lids or even a bowl with a saucer on top as a lid. 

I shy away from buying any overpackaged stuff, never buy bottled water. I could make my own yoghurt, rather than buy it in those plastic tubs, but there's only so many hours in a day....

@Sandra126 Years ago, when I lived in Canada, there was a city hall meeting about the garbage collection fees. They were trying to reduce garbage and their suggestion was to charge $1 for every big garbage bag beyond 2 per week per household. Meanwhile there were a bunch of us there who were suggesting that people should pay for all the garbage they create, and that some of us were subsidizing even those 2 free bags that other people managed to create,  as we produced almost no garbage, but paid the same rate (at that point, for my household of 4, I had one small shopping bag of garbage per week, not 2 HUGE ones). Anyway, there was someone who stood up at the meeting who said they had lived in Germany, and same thing, the garbage truck had a scale on it and everyone paid for the weight of the garbage they had, which is a great idea. 

@Lizzie  Good topic, but totally off-topic is that the first thing that jumped out at me was the photo- those traditional Mexican kitchen tiles. If you actually look at them, you'll see they are chipped (with just absorbent soft clay under the missing glaze), have missing grout, etc. A bacterialogical nightmare. NOT a good Airbnb kitchen choice 🙂 Those types of tiles are great for back splashes, or shower walls, but they're terrible for counter tops- they are really low fired, the glaze is thin, and they don't last long in that application. I see so many of those down here.

Would those Mexican kitchen tiles also contain a natural amount of lead - then chipped -that lead could leach. 

@Pat96  I'm not sure about the lead content. I know a lot of the pottery here has lead glazes, so it's probably in the glaze on the tiles as well. Some pottery you turn over and it does say Lead Free on the bottom, but not all, by any means. 

They do make tiles like that that are much sturdier- thicker glaze, thicker tiles and higher fired. More expensive, of course. I have those on my bathroom counter and my shower walls, but in solid colors.

Well we came from Penzance, the UK's first Plastic-Free town. 

it caught on quickly. And most people are quite enthusiastic about it. 

Our business has also gone as plastic-free as possible, and with positive feedback from our customers.

I think there is a place for plastic, but not single use stuff any more.

I tiled a wall in our kitchen with Mexican tiles.Lovely, all hand made. 

No idea about the lead content, actually unaware it was an issue.

We got some samples. both loved them, it was a bit of an indulgence as we were on a tight budget as always, but I'm glad we did.

Apparently one of those chef's knives cost more than my bike.

I don't touch Mrs Kev's knives.

But if I die, I hope she doesn't sell my bike for what I told her I paid for it 😉

Got a few hand painted ones as well, and framed them up (that's my day job). 

IMG_20190818_152647.jpg

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oo thanks for the insider tile knowledge here @Sarah977. You have such a good knowledge on tiles and flooring. I think you are a very good, go-to person on these matters. 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Gosh, great topic Lizzie! 

I’m afraid my plastics will continue to exist for a number of reasons.... but I do reduce and manage them.

- Besides tap filled carafes of water in the fridge, I do provide a 600ml water bottle per person. Our tap water is safe, and I tell guests... but with visitors flying in! They can fill and re-chill! Better then guests going and buying cartons of water because that’s what they are use to! 

- I do not use miniature bathroom products, but I do use acrylic containers that I can decant and refill.

- I provide shopping bags for visitors. I also provide plastic containers for food storage. These are long term use...

- My teas, coffees and sugars are in plastic or glass containers.

- My breakfast condiments are in jars rather than small single serve wraps. But my sauces etc are in whatever they are commercially purchased in. Some glass, some plastic...

- Yes, I do have cling wrap for guests to pack sandwiches etc for day trips..large picnic containers for water are also plastic, including the backing on the picnic rug etc etc...

- As for the breakfast cereal, I buy bulk so the containers are plastic. They MUST be to keep them fresh in the high humidity environment. “No one wants a soggy corn flake!” (Lol......SAD FACE 😭😩)

- I still use a bin liner for the main kitchen bin... as I do not want a smell to attract fly/maggots appearing from rubbish.

- I do recyle.

Ahh yes, you have to love the tropics! 🌴🌴🌴🌞🌞🌞🌞

F4E85ADD-F8D1-4646-B84F-8B039EB11080.jpeg

@Cathie19, the plastic containers etc will last a loooong time. Not that great a problem. It is the small endless consumables which are a bigger problem and you don't have them except for the waterbottles.

I can't get away from a plastic bag in the bin either. Afraid the guests will not see it as clean otherwise. If it was my own home I could change it, but not with guests.

I have glass jars in the kitchen, but plastic jars for the bathsalts I make in the bathroom as I am terrified of glass breaking in there. But I have had these jars for years and intend having them for the rest of my trading life. Then someone else can use them!

I think that in order to reduce consuming, buy the best quality you can, and make it last.

I can’t get rid of the 600ml water bottles, or I have to purchase more long term  containers, which can be perceived as unhygienic for personal use, or they would “walk” with travellers just starting their Aussie adventures. I’ve had stubby holders taken by guests who can afford them... because they can......

With the movement of tourists sightseeing, or just being out in the heat 33° celcius heat, providing portable bottles is a safety requirement.

Salem2
Level 10
Al Hadd, Oman

I don’t think it would be realistic to go completely plastic free, but we do try to avoid it by using glass and paper alternatives, we also use recycled bags as bin liners.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

How about those plastic credit cards, which are used pretty much every time a guest makes a reservation on the platform? How about if Airbnb creates a policy whereby they will only accept credit card payments from credit cards made out of ocean plastics?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Now there is a thought @Rebecca181. Do you know if many banks supply cards like this?  It would be a great thing. 

--------------------

@Lizzie American Express will be rolling out an Ocean Plastics credit card...

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's really cool to hear @Rebecca181, it's a great use of ocean plastics. I hope more card companies will follow...

--------------------

@Lizzie  my N26 bank card is metal 😕 

Starling bank = plastic.

I do recycle my bank cards, they usually end up being used to spread filler when I redecorate. 

There are two plastic items which we find impossible to move away from:

Bin bags/small bin sanitary products bin bags in the bathroom small bin, and dog-poo bags.

The dog poo bags are labelled as biodegradable, but I'm assuming this just means they degrade into microplastics in the environment which isn't too good.

The real problem we have locally is that when I put film (bubblewrap etc) in my trade waste for recycling they will take it, and allegedly recycle it,  but the same refuse company won't take it in my domestic recycling so it goes to landfill or incineration.

Something not right there, eh?

Tueykay0
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

I love reading what other people do. Here is what I've been doing to be cost effective.

I share my space with the guest and at long-term, some things (not all) can be easier.

1) I buy bulk shampoo, conditioner, hand soap and dish detergent. I just refill the soap & detergent containers and the shampoo & conditioners last 4-6 months. 

2) I buy bulk or large laundry detergents. I know it comes in plastic but again it'll last 4-6 months. 

I also don't see the value in time and money of running to the store every month to make these purchases and tossing out small plastic containers.

3)  I still buy a case of the individual water bottles and provide 2 bottles to each guest at check in. 

I have the Arrowhead 5 gallon (20L) of water on a dispenser and allow guests to help themselves with the drinking water. I also purchased a reverse osmosis and alkaline water filter for the kitchen faucet. Though most guests don't want to wait 5 minutes for a glass of water or for their water bottle to fill up. So I'm the only one using it.  Some guests bring with them their own re-usable water bottle. And if they don't have one, I gift a re-usable bottle to the guest that I keep in stock. This really helps them to not buy bottled beverages when they are out and about. It helps them save money and are really appreciative.

4) I have plenty of plastic food containers. I know it's plastic but keep in mind, most of my guests don't have a car. They are walking, riding a bike or taking the bus. This allows the guest to make a snack or lunch and take it with them on the go that is light to carry. Again, if they were out, they would have purchased lunch that is served on a plastic or styrofoam plate. 

I'm sure there's a few more things I do, but it's all I can come up with from the top of my head.