Damaged items ( super rude host)

Answered!
Zein1
Level 2
Amman, Jordan

Damaged items ( super rude host)

So weeks after i left the apartment i rented i got an email which i havent read till yesterday ( 2 weeks after it was sent)

the host is asking me for 460Euros (pretty sure he has insurance) for damages,  its just that the email was INCREDIBLY rude with police and arrest threats etc. His next replies werent better. You dont ask for money like that from someone you know by first name only & no additional info.

further more, if i want to behave like he is i could just totally dismiss it since it was sent waaaayy after the 48 hours that he should have sent it.

what guarantee do i have that he hasnt taken ''action'' after i pay him? since i missed the ''deadline of 18/8'' that he gave me?

i need some admin reply or something plz.

this ruined my whole experience.

Z

1 Best Answer

@Zein1  Any correspondence using the Air BNB messaging system is subject to the Content Policy.  If you feel threatened by the host, you can report this to Air BNB.  If the content was a host reacting to the damage and using bullying as a way to ensure your cooperation, that is bad host behavior but not necessarily threatening.

As to your question about the host taking any other legal action, the host can do that.  However, if you are cooperating with the damage recovery, which it sounds like you are, Air BNB will get all the information, including all messaging on the Air BNB system and determine the value of the claim.

Hope this helps

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Paul-and-Chris0
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

What did you damage?

It doesnt matter. my question is after the unmannerly threats, how do i guarantee he didnt take legal action? i didnt refuse to pay...i just saw it weeks later

just waiting for a reply from airbnb that isnt comming...just wanna get this over with 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Well actually it does matter @Zein1. If you damaged a hosts property you should pay for it.

Abdicating responsibility by saying the host should have insurance is a little silly.

Just reply and if the amount is reasonable -  agree to pay and that will be the end of the situation. It will be deducted from your deposit or Airbnb will agreement payment terms if it is a large amount.

Of course if criminal behaviour was involved the host has a right to report this to the relevant authorities.

This is a forum mainly for hosts. If you want to speak to Airbnb about this situation, you will need to give them a call.

never said i wasnt willing to pay. did you read what i wrote? all i wanted to know is how to guarantee that paying will end this. 

you didnt seem to have read that i  did already contact airbnb and waiting for a reply.

lets see how you react after somone sends you an email like the one i got. though you seem like the type to send those out too.

''threatening'' someone without any prior notice isnt a way to resolve anything, with anyone.

@Zein1  Any correspondence using the Air BNB messaging system is subject to the Content Policy.  If you feel threatened by the host, you can report this to Air BNB.  If the content was a host reacting to the damage and using bullying as a way to ensure your cooperation, that is bad host behavior but not necessarily threatening.

As to your question about the host taking any other legal action, the host can do that.  However, if you are cooperating with the damage recovery, which it sounds like you are, Air BNB will get all the information, including all messaging on the Air BNB system and determine the value of the claim.

Hope this helps

Thank you for actually reading, thats all i needed to hear before i get a reply from the website cuz i cant wait to resolve this.

i was so put off by that message. but yes it was threatening, it was ONE email saying ''this is the ''last'' chance to resolve this in a friendly way, im giving you till 18/8 then i will contact the police and you will be arrested!! etc etc''

how friendly...

the only legal action hes entitled to take is if i refused to pay which i never did, and he could see that i havent even logged on for 3 weeks.

thanks

With that amount of damage most Hosts would be upset.

Assuming he has requested the money through the system just pay him through the system, all will be recorded.

David

@Zein1  You must have known that you damaged something at the time that you checked out. Why did you wait for an email from your host? A good guest would immediately notify the host advising the damage and asking what it would cost to make reparations.

Hosts do not have damage insurance. Airbnb likes to tell them that they do, but when it actually happens it can be a long battle to get compensation, and then only if the host received a deposit from the guest against damages. My insurance company does not provide me with damage insurance. It is simply not available.

I think in this case blame can be put on both you and the host. The host was rude, yes. But you were also rude not to contact the host to offer compensation for damages at the time you checked out.

Considering that the whole experience was very pleasant on both sides. with 0 other issues or inconveniences.

This was no way of addressing this issue... by dropping words like police & arrest in the first email i get after leaving without hearing from me. Sure id be rightfully upset too, but im not a person who inspires or provokes such language and i dont accept it. Neither of us are teenagers. money issues aside.

And btw since the interest is about what the damage is. I wasnt in the apartment, a window blew open during an unexpected storm and a few wooden tiles expanded from rain water. unfortunate but my fault since i was the current occupant. Not like i took a hammer to his furniture. 

but he set a deadline which i unknowingly missed, thats why i was asking.