Day 24 - A New Family

Marie405
Level 10
Taguig, Philippines

Day 24 - A New Family

I must have had my 4th or 5th guest already when an incoming guest informed me that her husband and their child will be staying with her.  Even as I host from a distance (my apartment is looked after by my staff) I make sure everything is taken care of and I communicate with my guests personally.  The said guest was very communicative – send message every day before arriving and even rang me just before flying out to Philippines.  I’m not complaining. To be honest, I love receiving messages from Guests as I feel like I’m making new friends from different parts of the world.

And so they arrived and immediately I got an update from her about how she loved the area.  More updates came the following days. Before the week ended we were like online BFF already. Haha!  Then I happen to ask how their child was getting on with their holiday. I was quite shocked when she replied that they don’t have a child.  So in my head I was like, ‘OMG am I hosting a crazy person?!  Before you arrived you told me you have a son staying with you! Who are these people?!’  But sure, those screaming were all just inside my head, and instead, all I could say to her was, Oh. I thought you mentioned of a child?  

Turns out they were adopting a child.  Whew! Not crazy after all. Apparently they applied to adopt this baby boy when they learned from some relatives that someone left him in the orphanage.  The legal process took two years of wait and now that they finally got the approval they flew the whole way from USA to claim their son.

I was so excited for them on the day they were collecting their son.  From there, our exchange of messages went on a more personal level.  And instead of the usual tourist stuff suggestions, the advice she was looking for was how to care for a toddler who was very unsettled.  My 8 years of experience as a mother proved to be very helpful for my guest.  Playing at the swimming pool, a walk in the park, watching a funny movie and reading a bedtime story were definitely what the child needed to get distracted from being in a strange place and a way to form a bond with strangers who are now his parents.

In my eight months of hosting I have welcomed plenty of businessmen and holiday makers but this particular couple was the most memorable one for me.  Never have I imagined that my summer home would be a venue for an orphan to have a family.  That it served as a temporary place for them to bond before moving on to their own home - like a manger to baby Jesus.  And for that, I felt a great sense of blessing.

Have a Merry Christmas to everyone and may 2018 be a great year for one and all.

16 Replies 16
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Lovely story @Marie405 I hope you're not experiencing any flooding, its all over the news in the UK.

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Truly, @Marie405, a beautiful story!  I think you actually may have a BFF!  Your metaphor likening your place to a manger for baby Jesus is precious... and right on.

Very sweet story!  Thank you!

Merry Christmas & best always,

Kim
Marie405
Level 10
Taguig, Philippines

Hi @Jeff158, thank you for your kind concern.  I'm based in UK and only go home to Manila every summer.  Yes, that is some flood but thankfully it's very far away from where my apartment is located. Happy Christmas to you.

Hi @Kimberly54, aww..I'm glad you liked my story, thank you 🙂  Happy Christmas to you!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Marie405

Beautiful story, nice for the Christmas eve!

Thanks for sharing it!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !

Hello @J-Renato0, thank you and you're welcome 🙂  Happy Christmas to you and a blessed 2018!

Christopher302
Level 2
Pennsylvania, United States

Great story! I’m adopted from Colombia and I imagine my adopted parents doing the same thing for me. But back then no AirBnB so hotels were all that was available. 

Hi @Christopher302, aww thank you for your comment.  I have an adopted brother too and so stories about adoption is very close to my heart, and, I was overly touched to be somehow part of my Guest's story.  Happy Christmas to you!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Really great story Marie, and most fitting to this time of year.

Thank you @Fred13 🙂 Happy Holidays!

Maureen133
Level 2
Florida, United States

Thats a beautiful story Marie, thanks for sharing.

All the best for 2018

Maureen

Thank you @Maureen133 and a great 2018 to you too!

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Thank you for sharing the story, @Marie405! I missed it on the day, but happily I found it in the list Lizzie maintains. 

That is a happy reason to travel and I imagine both sides were worried, the future parents too. It must be reassuring to get to know your child in a home, not a hotel and the more so, when you get help from your host on such important matters. 

When I met my stepson the first time, I would have loved a friend with kids that age. (he was much older than my sister’s and my friends kids)

I hope the family will come back from time to time, so the son keeps a relation with his birthplace. And your place would be the best place to stay again!

Thank you for your lovely comment @Helga0 Yes, it would be great if they come back and actually meet them in person. Happy 2018 to you!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is a wonderful story @Marie405. What an amazing thing to be part of and I am sure the support and kindness you gave them, will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

Do you still keep in touch and hear how they are getting on?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.