Do you allow guests to use your fireplace?

Answered!
Richard1
Level 7
Lenox, MA

Do you allow guests to use your fireplace?

I have a wood burning fireplace in my rental apartment and since I started hosting in 2014 I have not allowed guests to use it.  As the colder tempeartures arrive I am considering converting it to an ethanol buring fireplace. The apartment is a great little getaway for couples and the fireplace would be a nice romatic touch.  

My last guest was a little disappointed when I informed her that she could not use the fireplace.  The ethanol fireplace does not require a chimney and there would no risk of flying embers, but then ... it is fire.  

So what are your thoughts: should I update the space with the romance of dancing flames or play it safe and deny use of the fireplace?

1 Best Answer
Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

I would either allow them to use it, or I would remove/disable it completely. 

When hosting, the fewer times you have to tell a guest they can't do something, the better it is. 

So provide instructions by all means, but if you still think it's too risky then get it removed, boarded up, etc.  Also because sooner or later someone will manage to misunderstand or forget what you said and use the thing anyway.

View Best Answer in original post

29 Replies 29

Thanks, Richard, that sounds like a really good solution for your situation. I agree, I think the fireplace is a really big draw. Converting the fireplace sounds like it could be a good solution for the future.

@Richard1 : Hi Richard, 

which conversion unit did you end up buying. There are many out there but I can not tell from the pictures if they even look vagally realistic. 

Thank you,

Daniela

@Kathleen117 Good question! I have a wood burning fireplace in my listing but I don't allow guests to use for the exact reasons you mentioned: danger and the mess removing ashes.  I say in my house rules that my insurance company forbids guests from using the fireplace. 

I'm really leaning towards doing that, Clare. Do you think it has a negative impact on how many bookings you get? I don't have a great handle on what percentage of my guests actually use the fireplace.

Jill13
Level 2
Narrowsburg, NY

I do not allow guests to use my fireplace, however if I am home, I may have it lit. We do have a problem in our town in that many forlks have either a fireplace or woodstove and guests use it without knowing how, and our small volunteer fire department is called out way too often! Trying to rectify how to handle that with hosts & guests.  

Thanks for your response, Jill!

Wow, so have there been fires in your area caused by airbnb guests? Or mostly false alarms? That is so scary! I can definitely tell that some guests have lit really big fires as my hearth has become really blackened over the fireplace since I started renting. Our fireplace is big and beautiful and really a focal point of the house, plus we are in the mountains and you just really want to sit in front of the fire here. I'd feel better prohibiting fires, but then I feel like it would really take away from the experience for most people who are responsible due to a few who are not. 

How do you tell people not to use the fireplace?

Lori83
Level 5
Omaha, NE

My property does not have a fireplace, however, if it did, I would not allow a guest to use the fireplace due to the extreme risks.  Of course, when asked (much like job applicants) your guests will tell you they are very experienced and know exactly what they are doing, however, the reality often differs from their stated vast experience.  If you were talking about running a vacuum the risk of damage is minimal.  Since this is fire, your risk would be high.  I have prohibitions on grills / fire pits / candles / fireworks ect... all for that reason. 

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

My home is only heated by gas fireplaces - one in every room.  So yes, I allow guests to use the fireplace.  And sadly yes, even though it is a gas fireplace behind glass, we had a fire in February when a guest stacked the recycle bins on a chair, then put his shoes on the bins.  The shoes were resting on the glass and they combusted.  No major damage to my home, some burns on the carpet and some marks on the glass that I cannot remove... his shoes and my recycle bin were toasted though.  

As I live in an area where people hike and enjoy the outdoors year round, I bought shoe dryers this year.  Hoping to avoid a repeat of last winter.  

Michael2451
Level 2
Vancouver, CA

Hi im considering installing a airtight wood burning fireplace in our country home for primary and secondary heat as the electric baseboard heating is incredibly expensive.  Im also considering retrofit radiant floor heating.   Ive been advised that wood burning stoves and renters is a sketchy combination.  Im wondering if any host out there have had successful expereinces with wood stoves and renters?

warm regards

Michael

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I have a wood fire and a gas log fire, both are used constantly. I provide all wood (approx 6 cubic metres a season). I would never offer an ethanol fire, because guests might spill flammable liquids and it gives no heat anyway, as it is for decorative purposes only.

On check in, I step by step how to use the fires. Both will be going already, but they have to light them for the next day. I am down the road if they need me. I would NOT be happy for fire useage if I hadn't met them. Many, many guests have never lit a fire in their life, and it is an adventure. Definitely a drawcard for my accommodation.

We have an old decommissioned fire place. I set a fantastic Metal led flame effect heater in it. Has a the effect of a cozy fire and can also kick out heat if need be. Looks great on or off and I don't have to worry about fire place risk. So far have gotten great feedback from Guests enjoying it. Most of them just use the light feature and they also enjoy the remote control We even have a fire surround for it. Keeps things safe and also adds to the fire effect.

Teri71
Level 2
Fontana, KS

I also have wood burning fireplaces in my homes.  They can be messy and it is a pain to make sure you provide enough wood for their stay.  I put a fire proof rug across the hearth stones and another rug in front of the fireplace and also make sure they know where the fire extinguisher is.  So far I haven't had any problems but it is always a concern that makes me wish I had put in enclosed gas fireplaces instead.  If I do have problems in the future I will convert them.

Theresa245
Level 2
Boulder City, NV

Hi everyone, we have an electric fireplace which gives a romantic feel and also provides extra heat for the bedroom. Considering opening up our small backyard for spring fire pit enjoyment, thoughts?

For an outdoor space I personally would only ever use a propane fire pit. Those are allowed in BC, Canada even when there are fire bans, so they are considered quite safe, and for most guest purposes would be of similar enjoyment value.

I would say that if it is a major feature of your space, then allow them to use it, but make sure you set a nightly rate that ensures you obtain good quality guests that (hopefully) will be respectful and responsible. I would also ensure you obtain third-party liability insurance if you are allowing guests to use the fireplace, and make sure your insurer is aware there is a working fireplace in the unit.