Don't make it mandatory for new hosts to use Instant Book

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Don't make it mandatory for new hosts to use Instant Book

I think BnB shouldn't make it mandatory for some new hosts to use Instant Book. This has led to new hosts having to take on unsuitable, guests or being penalised because they don't understand the system and cancel guests who aren't a good match. It has also led to concern from existing hosts that it will be made mandatory for all hosts.

It isn't a good introduction for new hosts to being on BnB. There are numerous complaints on the other forums and social media.

I have contacted BnB via social media and the other forums to try and understand why it is doing this and get a response on behalf of new and existing hosts. However BnB refuses to answer and just says it will pass my comments on (to who?) or that new hosts can use house rules to filter.

It never answers the simple question - why have you introduced manadatory Instant Booking for new hosts and will you allow hosts who are uncomfortable with this to turn it off?

As we know no house rules can cover all bases and it is often when communicating with a guest that you understand whether they are a good match.

Response from Airbnb

Instant Book is not mandatory for any host - although we encourage hosts to give Instant Book a shot.

If you do decide to turn on Instant Book, there are safeguards in place to help make sure that you’re only accepting bookings from suitable guests. You can choose to only accept Instant Book from guests who have been recommended by other hosts, you can require Instant Book to accept guests who have government-issued ID, and all Instant Book guests must agree to your House Rules. Plus, you can cancel Instant Book reservations immediately without penalty of any kind, if you feel uncomfortable with our guest or with someone who breaks your house rules.

Many hosts find that they get up to two times the reservations when they turn on Instant Book.

You can find more information here.

61 Replies 61
Stephanie64
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

Jude, I agree with everything you have said and so well articulated. It is all about   communication, communication, communication. I would never have signed up to be a host  if I have had to had INSTANT BOOK turned on. I was nervous enough making sure I would be the best host and that my guests knew exactly what they were getting. I also agree it is those of us that are older with more experience and wisdom that I beleive have made ABB what it is as far as providing an awesome experience for our guests and setting the expectations up front. I find that younger guests do not read the house rules or even understand what they are booking. In every inquiry I get, I spell it all out about my listing and make sure the guest understands what I am offering. I also have found it very hard in the few  attempts to reach a live person at ABB corporate extremely difficult and this is very frustrating in the event that I really would need their assistance. Thank you Jude for your saying exactly what is also on my mind.

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Thank you, @Stephanie64, for adding the power of your voice.  Because our voices are the most powerful tools we have.

Jude

Stephanie64
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

Let's hope our our comments are heard by the powers that be @Jude0. You are welcome! 🙂

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Most of the above arguments are very good arguments - from the host's point of view, but airbnb might feel that annoying a few new hosts and filtering out some of them the hard way, is no big deal to them, compared to the unknown benefit they expect from the experience. 

I'll try another argument: I use IB on one of my listings for 9 months now, with no problem so far. It makes bookings easier, when I'm out of Internet connexion for a few hours. If I'm online, it makes no difference. I accept most people anyway, and the setting "recommended guests only" forbids new members to use instant book. That allows me to clarify a few points, that a new guest might not have realised reading a clear description or looking at 20 pictures. 

But I can use IB on one listing only, for logical reasons: I rent either the whole apartment or the guest room with a single bed or my bedroom with a double bed. As soon as one of them is booked, the other listings are blocked.

If I rent the whole apartment, I go to my other home and this one is blocked too. But the system does not allow to connect them in a wat that one booking blocks 3 or four listings. I have to do that manually.

If IB was forced for all listings, I could only list one of them, would earn less money and airbnb would earn less service fee too. 

New hosts, who may have no way to predict which offer will work best, may experiment at the beginning with offering the whole place or rooms or both. With forced IB, they could only set up one kind of listing per apartment, either full place or room(s). Probably only one room listing - even if you have 2 or more guest rooms, the idea to have different sets of strangers dropping in on you without your say so would be very frightening. That thought would even give me pause after 12 years of hosting and grewing up in a family pension 😉

IB book is a perfect tool for more commercial set ups. Additionally, if the main motivation in renting rooms or flats is the money, declining people for racist motivations would be bad business. 

The question how to avoid discrimination could be much easier anwsered, if airbnb allowed a clear distinction between private homes and places solely destined for seasonal lease. 

There are guests for both and most times they don't feel very comfortable if they get the other thing. 

Some guests use the IB filter to get a cheap or fast hotel room booking. I had a few of those. I don't believe that they are mean or breaking rules intentionally, searching for a new host on IB. No, they search a room where they don't have to give a thought or pick up a dropped item. They are bothered by hosts setting rules and a living in host is bothered by their behaviour. 

A filter Private Home / Neutral place would avoid that, and people who fear discrimination could use it to search for commercial settings with lower probability to turn away anyone.

IB can be an additional option, a tool to speed up the process, nothing more. 

It's a bad idea to use such a tool to solve another question, especially if you are too afraid to name the problem even.

Lisa36
Level 5
Australia

couldn't Agree more. New hosts should be helped more rather than forced to accept anyone on instant book. Please remove manditory IB for new hosts! Not good marketing!

Wyatt
Host Voice Admin
Host Voice Admin
SF, CA

The status of this Idea has been changed to Under Consideration. The Ideas in Host Voice with the most Thumbs Up are reviewed closely by the Airbnb product team. The status of this Idea will be updated according to this discussion. We appreciate your patience as we try to thoughtfully listen and respond to this Idea.

Yvonne74
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

I am not new to airbnb, have been host and guest for a few years already. still despite me canceling the instant booking options the airbnb software seems to have reset it.

And of course how do you find out? WHEN SOMEONE **bleep**ING INSTANTLY BOOKED MY PLACE.

I am sooo furious with airbnb and with being so unable to do much about it. being presented with alternatives like penalties and that my place is not bookable when I now cancel my guests. I'm furious. This behavior and the lack of real customer support for cases like that is highly unprofessional!

Jenny85
Level 4
Reading, United Kingdom

I don't blame you at all for being furious, Yvonne. In fact, I was only thinking about this issue again the other day when reading an article about a host who was robbed by 'guests' who used the instant book facility. Obviously an extremely rare case, but even the police recommend disabling the function and being sure to read reviews and communicate with guests before you allow them to book. As one of the new hosts who CANNOT disable instant book, my property will remain unlisted until or unless Airbnb acts more responsibly by listening to hosts and respecting their genuine concerns about this 'feature'. 

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/airbnb-burglary-suspects-arrested-homeowner-still-suffering/46853459...

Enrique47
Level 2
Ibiza, Spain

today I had to cancel a immediate booking because I wasn't fast enough as to keep my calendar updated, and actually the dates were not available. I then receive like thousands of warning saying how wrong was I by disabling immediate booking, and I was lucky enough to not beeing penalized because this was my first cancellation in 6 months... then I thought WHAAAAT???

Can I be penalized if I cancel an instant booking??? then I HAVE TO DISABLE THAT FEATURE ASAP.

... obviously before disabling that feature I was again warned like another thousand times of how wrong I was. Well guys at Airbnb. You are starting to behave like a monopoly. Now put my house down in the searches. I need to be punished.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Hi @Enrique47, you can cancel an IB, if you have concerns concerning the guest. In such a case, you should call the help line first and they will offer cancellation, if the concern is understandable. I got the offer several times, usually asked that airbnb intervene first, which solved most problems. One got cancelled and the profile removed - no nasty mail on that one. 

If you have a calendar problem, it's not the guest's fault. In such cases, I take the hit, not by cancelling on the guest, who had no influence on my calendar. most such problems can be resolved by talking to the guest and lodging him elsewhere or by finding another solution. IB still means, you have a valid offer out there and if someone within your criteria accepts it, it's binding. 

Enrique47
Level 2
Ibiza, Spain

Hi @Helga.

Thanks for taking your time to add a valuable content to my post/complaint. In my case, my calendar wasn't updated (for a few days only) and a guest used IB for dates were not available. I sent my apologies to the guest and proceed to cancel. Airbnb then warned me I might be penalized in the future. That was when I thougt IB was not for me.

On the other hand, how can I lodge the customer elsewhere? I am not an agency and sorry, but I have enough with managing my house.

It was clearly my fault, but mainly because I didn't understand how IB work at first. I dont like it. For many reasons. And there's one thing that drives me even more crazy: the fact that houses without IB appear lower on the searches. Well, that's Airbnb making you not using other services besides Airbnb. And I have like 7 local agencies advertising my house. How come can I be so accurate as to have my calendar updated to the minute if working with more agencies besides Airbnb?. IB is just a way to make Airbnb more powerful by making you leave other sites so there are no overlapping requests and/or rentals.

Anyway. Lesson learnt. No IB for me. My house will appear lower on the searches in Airbnb. Cool. I can deal with it.... so far.

Wyatt
Host Voice Admin
Host Voice Admin
SF, CA

Instant Book is not mandatory for any host - although we encourage hosts to give Instant Book a shot.

If you do decide to turn on Instant Book, there are safeguards in place to help make sure that you’re only accepting bookings from suitable guests. You can choose to only accept Instant Book from guests who have been recommended by other hosts, you can require Instant Book to accept guests who have government-issued ID, and all Instant Book guests must agree to your House Rules. Plus, you can cancel Instant Book reservations immediately without penalty of any kind, if you feel uncomfortable with our guest or with someone who breaks your house rules.

Many hosts find that they get up to two times the reservations when they turn on Instant Book.

You can find more information here.

Enrique47
Level 2
Ibiza, Spain

"Plus, you can cancel Instant Book reservations immediately without penalty of any kind, if you feel uncomfortable with our guest or with someone who breaks your house rules."

How come do you know in advance someone is going to break your house rules?????

Besides this ...  when I was disabling the IB, I have been warned that my listing can go down in the searches. And I have also been warned when I had to cancel a confirmed booking because the dates were no longer available (yes, my fault):  I have just today received an email saying (direct translation from spanish, may not be accurate) that if the "situation of cancelling repeats in the future, it may be posible that we have to deactivate your listings".

it sounds awful to me. 

Kate109
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I like the fact that Airbnb's response is that hosts get more bookings if they have instant booking facility, that might of course be because the Airbnb search criteria now automatically only shows properties that have instant booking.  It's very unfair on other properties, where instant booking is not appropriate, and as a host I don't want to have to cancel people who have booked, most hosts respond very quickly to enquiries.  Airbnb has totally lost sight of what it is all about, and is just about taking as much commission as possible.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Kate109  Most hosts are reporting that the search function for Instant Book is now an opt in rather than an opt out which is as it was before.  I like to think the host response was a factor in that change.