Don't make it mandatory for new hosts to use Instant Book

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Don't make it mandatory for new hosts to use Instant Book

I think BnB shouldn't make it mandatory for some new hosts to use Instant Book. This has led to new hosts having to take on unsuitable, guests or being penalised because they don't understand the system and cancel guests who aren't a good match. It has also led to concern from existing hosts that it will be made mandatory for all hosts.

It isn't a good introduction for new hosts to being on BnB. There are numerous complaints on the other forums and social media.

I have contacted BnB via social media and the other forums to try and understand why it is doing this and get a response on behalf of new and existing hosts. However BnB refuses to answer and just says it will pass my comments on (to who?) or that new hosts can use house rules to filter.

It never answers the simple question - why have you introduced manadatory Instant Booking for new hosts and will you allow hosts who are uncomfortable with this to turn it off?

As we know no house rules can cover all bases and it is often when communicating with a guest that you understand whether they are a good match.

Response from Airbnb

Instant Book is not mandatory for any host - although we encourage hosts to give Instant Book a shot.

If you do decide to turn on Instant Book, there are safeguards in place to help make sure that you’re only accepting bookings from suitable guests. You can choose to only accept Instant Book from guests who have been recommended by other hosts, you can require Instant Book to accept guests who have government-issued ID, and all Instant Book guests must agree to your House Rules. Plus, you can cancel Instant Book reservations immediately without penalty of any kind, if you feel uncomfortable with our guest or with someone who breaks your house rules.

Many hosts find that they get up to two times the reservations when they turn on Instant Book.

You can find more information here.

61 Replies 61
Ryan63
Level 9
Packwood, WA

I agree with most of the comments here, but the basic problems cited here seem fundamentally bigger than instant book itself. Airbnb takes a new host through a battery of questions about their home to make sure they're describing it in great detail, and as accurately as possible. Then they offer a "list your home" button, with virtually no tutorial, checklist, or other support resource for making sure their first hosting experience is a success. It seems like the goal is to just get listings up, then hope, pray or assume that a typical new host adequately understands both their system and the finer points of hosting. That's a leaping, borderline irresponsible assumption. I got burned by instant book in my first week and had to cancel a next day reservation because I couldn't possibly get a housekeeper there in time. My mistake, no doubt, but surely Airbnb had seen enough of this sort of thing to know better than to let noobs like me activate instant book, much less implore me to use it right away. When I read about other botches like mine, then travel to Airbnb properties where even Superhosts are barely doing anything to simplify the guest experience, it all suggests to me that Airbnb could be doing a lot more work to put their hosts in their guests' shoes to simplify arrival, check-in, operating appliances, finding things, etc--in addition to ensuring that they really understand how to use features like IB.
Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Just for laughs, if you have Instant Book turned on, try turning it off.  The number of 'are you sures' and general scare mongering defies belief.  Then finally it's turned off.   And to re-enable it it takes.. a single click. 😉