Drawing the line between voting thumbs up or down

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

Drawing the line between voting thumbs up or down

This isn't serious, but again, I'm struggling with how to review a group of adults who left the place in less than wonderful condition. Here's what happened:

1) they didn't throw out the garbage as per my rules

2) they left some (not a lot) of dirty dishes in the sink--again not per my rules

3) they replaced, in the shelf, a bodum coffee maker that they had really not cleaned well--it was obviously not clean

4) they stained a pillow, a sheet and a pillow case with some kind of difficult to remove food--the pillow case is a write off, the sheet, fingers crossed, will come out clean with the extra heavy duty stain remover I'm using. The pillow is usually covered anyway

5) the place stunk to high heaven when I went in. No idea what they were cooking, but good grief. I have to go out and get some scented candles because even with the windows wide open and the ventiliation system on, I doubt it will be back to normal for the new guests who are arriving in a couple of hours

6) they brought at least one more person than they originally reported (although they didn't hide this from me, so I don't think it was done maliciously--they probably just said to themselves, there's an extra bed so why not). That said, that meant me doing laundry for a pull-out that I had earmarked as clean for today's guests.

Any thoughts? I'm going to wait 48 hours to review them because by then my annoyance level will be in control 🙂 

9 Replies 9

just roll with it

Yes. I think I will. 

Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

I thumbs downed a group for about that - I guess in some places that may not be a big deal, but with the prices I am able to charge here I can't afford to be replacing stuff and deep cleaning every time people come.  

Terri15
Level 1
Claregalway, IE

Fi1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I'm new to hosting so forgive me if this is naive

I've had a similar exoerience - very nice people but cooking smells, place very unclean and stained towels with hair dye.

I gave them a thumbs up and only marked them 4 stars for cleanliness. Reason being - as my listing is new I need 5 star reviews from guests and don't want to upset them by giving them a bad review.

I know that reviews only go on the site when both parties have submited but do guests see your thumbs down beofre they review you?

So based on not wanting to upset guests:

-guests don't see the stars you give them

-guests don't see thumbs up or down

I have to assume this data is aggregated and somehow used by airbnb, I don't know exactly how.

the guest, any future host for that guest, the internet at large, and potentially your potential guests looking for info on how you have reviewed guests will see the review you write.  So I am always fairly neutral in any negative review.  To be honest I don't really do negative reviews.  I do gushing over the top reviews for good guests, and for the bad I stick to  "x stayed with me one night on their way home."  

Therefore, I tend to be very honest in my stars and thumbs, and less so in my reviews, because I don't want a critical review to reflect poorly on me.

Guests don't see your review until after they have also sent theirs, so don't be afraid to be honest. Your review will be according to their experience.
If a guest does not reach your expectations, would you accept them again? Probably not right? Give them what they deserve in each of the reviews for cleanliness etc., making it easier for other hosts to know what to expect, and who knows, the guest may consider (doubtful) in changing their ways.
Fran18
Level 2
Ginaton, Israel

I think that everyone wants their home left clean and tidy.
I also think that when there are too many rules, it doesn't particularly help.
House smells from cooking are unavoidable, I suggest you keep the windows open.
I don't know what to say about hair dye, no one has done that (yet) in my home. But that's probably because I live here, people are more respectful of your space when you are actually, physically there.

The cooking smell was pungent and ugly--seriously, they must have been boiling old boots--and I was struggling to deal with it. I ended up buying a $10 scented candle a friend recommended. I let it burn for about 7 hours and moved it around the condo--it seemed the smell kept moving around so I ended up following it, so to speak. But it put a crimp in my day--I was meant to leave on my own road trip and I had to postpone going until tomorrow. Luckily, the incoming family got busy during the day and didn't come in until supper time. I had gotten it under control by then, but not completely eliminated. When I went down at around 8:30 PM, to help them with the TV, I could still smell it, even with the candle still burning (it was in a glass, on a plate on the dryer, and so wasn't a fire hazard). I asked the guests and they admitted they could smell something funny, but that it wasn't bad and they weren't too bothered. I'm glad they hadn't been there in the morning!

I did have guests who came into my condo after a similarly smelly situation. The wife gave me a good review, but in her private comments to me, remarked that the smell had actually been sickening to her and her husband and that they'd lost their appetite for a couple of days. I didn't think they were exaggerating--that smell was horrendous too. And I opened the windows wide for hours--this in the middle of winter--and put bowls of baking soda and vinegar all around the place. I don't like using Febreze because even though it smells nice, I think it mostly covers the odor and that just makes things worse.

Anyway, I don't like tons of rules either--I basically ask them to toss the garbage, start the dishwasher and "leave the place as you found it," but I may add one more about being mindful of cooking smells.