Electronic Door Locks

Elise28
Level 2
Draper, UT

Electronic Door Locks

I don't live near my rental unit and would love to put an electronic lock on the door; one that I can change the codes from my devices.  Has anyone had any experience with these?

58 Replies 58

Airbnb keeps your key code listed FOREVER as they do NOT delete messages. If someone in the past can get to their old messages, they can find info to get back in! Poor concern for hosts on Airbnb's part and they don't apologize for leaving the data out there either!!

@Bonnie64 I am not sure what kind of lock you use, but my lock automatically invalidates the guest's keycode as soon as the guest's checkout time arrives.

For Airbnb use, a smart lock that handles easy or automatic changing of the key codes might be a good idea.

What type of lock do you have? We have one, but it stays the same even after the guest has checked out. 

I do NOT have a smart lock at this time, but guest lost keys so now I am getting serious about a real security lock. Can you tell me what brand of lock you use, where you got it, and how you activate it? Got to get one ASAP. Thanks.

With a reputable lock like Schlage Sense you can change your codes as much as you want and have up to 30 of them at a time active. No keys (other than a backup key if you lose power and the battery dies after 10 days or whatever).

Actually, Schlage electronic locks are rated so highly for weather you can pressure wash your doors and not hurt the lock. And you can have multiple locks and set the codes (gate, front door, back door) to have the same code if you wish.  Each lock holds up to 30 codes.

Mike528
Level 1
Stockport, United Kingdom

Hi Mark,

I am operating in the same situation as you with a basement and rear gated entrance - have you manged to source an external quailty lock that will link with the house lock and replicate the code - that would be the dream i believe.

Thanks

Mike 

Just assign the same code to both locks. Any reputable electronic lock like the Schlage Sense that is being mentioned allows you to set whatever 4 digit code you want (and keep up to 30 of them at a time and change them/delete them whenever you want).  So guest A checks in with code 1234, you delete it and next week, guest B checks in with 4321 while you have 5678 and your cleaning crew has 8765.  You get the  idea.

DO NOT use the wink hub. 

Samsung Connect is a better option. The wink hub does NOT allow you to set or delete codes in advance. I used the wink hub and I have been asking them for a year to add a fature to set and delete codes in advance but they are not interested. 

You can use Samsung hubs and get third party software (RoyBoy) that will allow you to set and delete codes. 

Why is this terribly important. Well I travel for work and therefor I am not always in the same time zone as my guests. If I set the codes in advance and give the code to an incomming guest (even telling them the correct check in time) there are guests that will show up and try to get in before earlier guests leave. If I don't set the codes in advance I risk WInk being off line and not available to set the code. If I do not give a code to the guest at least a day early the guests get nervous that they do not know how to access the location. 

Every morning I have to get up at 3AM to set and delete codes because of time zone issues. Its crazy. I am currently in South Korea for work and as soon as this project is complete and I am able to return to Colorado, I will change from a Wink to a Samsung hub and stop this madness. You may not be in a different time zone, but wouldn't you want the peace of mind that comes with setting things up in advance and not worrying that you might be busy or on vacation or jsut not available at the exact time when a code is needed. 

Wink has programers. It's simple coding. Why can't they fix this glaring issue and add the capability of scheduling the lock codes? 

Weve been using lockstate and it's aweful. It says the battery is charged and isn't...guest codes randomly dont work. I'm on this thread trying to find a new company. 

Hi, did you find a better system? Thanks

I just got off the phone with Airbnb and their agent didnt even have a clue that something like this was offered. I would be interested in knowing if you found a better alternative.

This is the lock I ended up going with.  I am very happy with it - even when it has had issues.   It was not inexpensive, but it's exactly what I needed.  It works with wifi and through airbnb, it can generate the needed codes and send emails.  I prefer to have more control so I do that myself.  I give each guest a code that is the last 4 digits of their phone number so it's easy for them to remember.  The lock activates at check in time on the date they arrive and deactivates on the day they leave at check out time.  I have permanent codes for my cleaning lady, handyman, and a neighbor who will put packages into my house for me when they arrive.   I am notified the first time each guest enters so I know they made it in.  (you can set notifications for whatever you want)   I am so happy not to have to rely on keys anymore.   I keep a lock box out back for the back door in the event there is a problem - and have only had to use it once.   People can understand technology going wrong - as long as they have a back up plan.  I can see online when the battery is running low - so that I can have it replaced before anyone is locked out because of a low battery.  I have been happy with this product.  

I imagine anyone who is more tech savvy than I and actually lives near the property might find something less expensive but this works great for me!

let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Hi Elise,

can you share which lock you ended up using?

thank you

It is the LS-6i that I use.   (Lock State)