Electronic Door Locks

Elise28
Level 2
Draper, UT

Electronic Door Locks

I don't live near my rental unit and would love to put an electronic lock on the door; one that I can change the codes from my devices.  Has anyone had any experience with these?

58 Replies 58
Brent14
Level 1
Salt Point, NY

Hello,

I'm using the Schlage connected to the wink hub. It's been flawless and everyone loves it. They can arrive and leave at their convenience. No issues with key exchanges and no problems with interruptions to power if that came up. I tested it a lot. I get a reminder to add and remove the key codes and each guest gets a unique code based on their info. Highly recommend.

Hi Brent, which Schlage model you have? also which wink hub is connect to it?
I have heard that not all wink connect to Schlage.

Brent14
Level 1
Salt Point, NY

Hello,

I'm using the schlage wireless deadbolt with the wink hub. It has been a flawless experience. I give each guest a unique code and get a reminder to remove at the end of their stay. There is no need to stick around for key exchanges and my guests can arrive and leave at their convenience. I highly recommend.

thanks - forgive my ignorance - what is a wink hub?

A wink hub is a unit that connects to your internet network either wired or wireless. It can transmit and receive several types of wireless signals which enables different types of devices to be controlled through it. Once connected, you control everything through one easy to use app on either apple or android devices or through the internet. This way you can control door locks, lights, thermostats, cameras, appliances or whatever type of "smart" devices you have. You must however purchase devices which are compatible with the hub. Search wink on google as there are many.

Hi Brent may i have your recomandation if i just need a smart lock to control the door only for my airbnb with the benifit of changing the access code each time on an app?

Isnt it more expensive if i have to spend more on the wink hup on top of the smart door lock ?

Hi! Which model? I heard it drains batteries? 

Hey Brent,

I use the Schlage Sense lock and it works really nice but I'd like to bring it up a notch and have it fully integrate with AirBnB, not sure how I'd do it?  I currently use it in conjunction with my AppleTV4 (homekit) and I'm able to lock or unlock at a distance, I get alerts when the door is opened or closed but I am not able to change the codes at a distance.  My Schlage Sense lock only allows me to change codes using Bluetooth and my cottage is 1200km away (750miles).

I'm intrigued about your setup with Wink?  Seems better than my homekit setup...

But I've read your comments and your setup does not seem to fully integrate with AirBnB like the August Locks can, am I reading this right?  With the August system, their integration point with AirBnB actually assigns a code for each reservation and uploads it into the lock foir the exact time & date of the booking and it also manages to remove it from the lock as well, removing all need for code management on our part.  Is your setup this integrated?  I'm interested because I already have the Schlage locks so it would be cheaper than going August but at the same time I really want that full integration with AirBnB.  Let me know, thanks. 

Karen-and-Will0
Level 10
Maryland, United States

I use the Schlage Sense.  Off the shelf it works with my iPhone through blue tooth about 30-40 feet away.  But I added Apple TV and now can access it through the wi-fi anytime, any where on my phone.   I can check who opened or closed the door and when and if the door is currently locked or unlocked.  I have no worries about lost keys.  It also gives me the added security that keys haven't been duplicated and the house can be entered without me being aware.  I create a 4 digit code for each guest.  I then simply delete it once they leave.  It works wonderfully for me.  

I also saw this remote lock today, a lock that links with Airbnb...might be worth checking out?  Anyone use this? Thoughts?

http://remotelock.com/airbnb/

I'm looking for a lock that has mutliple codes allowed for our outside gate - my wife and I live upstairs and we rent the basement. Do any of these have that option?

@Mark100:  I don't think the one I use, Schlage Sense, would work if it was exposed to the weather elements of an outside gate.  I would recommend you check Amazon for reviews that might lead you to a solution.

Karen,

Do you know how to remove the code from the airbnb listing? I just added it and my partner doesn't want it listed with airbnb....Suzanne

I asked this question 2 times with Airbnb Customer support. They tell me once a code has been put into a message and sent to the guest, it is there forever as Airbnb does not remove this type of information. It made me a little nervous when I asked if a gues from last summer can access the old code this summer. Got to get a safer key safe now.