Extenuating Circumstances, Unreasonable refunds! Airbnb just continues to take our money!

Jeffery5
Level 8
Wilton Manors, FL

Extenuating Circumstances, Unreasonable refunds! Airbnb just continues to take our money!

I am so tired of the airbnb policies. I have been running my business for 20 years, have 50 properties and almost all 5 star reviews.  But somehow, Airbnb with only a few years under their belt, thinks they need to step in and take control.  No other rental channel interfers in our businesses like Airbnb. 

In life, we as adults, need to be responsible.  We buy car insurance, homeowners insurance, health insurance and trip insurance.  But Airbnb believes that we, as hosts, should also be insurance companies. I can't understand how an illness, a dealth in the family or other "circumstance"  by a guest, somehow makes me they one who should suffer the losses. Yes, it's unfortunate when those things happen but this is business.   People have to insure themselves when they travel, unless they travel on Airbnb.  I even put in my house rules that guests should be trip insurance.  But to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars every year, Airbnb just cancels bookings for almost any reason.  Sometimes they even pay me and then just come back and take money away from me weeks later.   It's out of control.    

Guests who use airbnb are learning how to do it.  Once they get thier first free cancellation, they learn how to set everything up for the next time. 

Then what about these totally unreasonable refunds  Life is not perfect. But again, somehow Airbnb thinks that nothing should ever go wrong in our homes.   If an air conditioner stops working, that's part of life.  So we as responsible hosts, address the issues immediatily and get the repair people there ASAP and fix the issue.  That's how it works in any home. That's a reasonable situation in an hotel or vacation rental.  But Airbnb will refund for anything.  It is there stance that nothing should ever go wrong in any home.  If a guest is without AC for a few hours and the home is still cool, they can easily get a full refund for thier trip.  Infuriating.   Guest are learning how to set up the airbnb thread to get their refunds.  They arrive and start the complaints in the thread.   It doesn't matter what the host does to address the issues, the guest always wins.   Airbnb interrogates hosts, treating us like criminals, demanding we show evidence of everything.   It's infuriating and very expensive to do business with Airbnb. 

All that being said, 98% of my Airbnb guests are wonderful, love our properties and give us great reviews. But the others who know how to game the Airbnb system cost me thousands of dollars a year. 

Hopefully professional property managers and homeowners will start to band together and demand change.  We are not insurance companies.  If Airbnb wants to offer thier guests 100% asssurance of a perfect stay or coverage for any "extenuating circumstance" then Airbnb should sell trip insurance. 

46 Replies 46

@Letti0Happens all day, every day. It's an abusive policy, that's literally taking money from hosts' pockets, so that Airbnb can keep the guests sweet - at our expense. This practice is causing genuine hardship for many hosts, and it's high time we all started pushing back and saying "Enough is enough"

And yes, sounds like you definitely had a lucky escape with that cancellation!! 

I'm pretty open to just refunding in difficult circumstances. I live near the airport and flights get cancelled. At this point I have not had any requests for refunds, but I have wondered about how that works. This post and comment thread has been very helpful. To be honest, I hope that Airbnb does not encourage the guests to ask for a refund. I would not feel the same about using Airbnb in the future. My experience has been a good one so far. I have not had any difficult guests.

I've had one guest that asked for a refund because he got sick and wasn't going to make the trip (and failed to mention this to me until after the check-in window had past).  He simply sent a request for the amount he was charged from the Send/Receive Money button.

Airbnb should insist that guests buy travel insurance.  That would really help hosts but airbnb guests can get away from doing this and then get refunds for dubious reasons.

@Pat-And-Mike0  Some guests have travel insurance and get refunded by both AirBnB and the travel insurance. One of my daughthers acquaintances was bragging about it at a party one night, so it does happen. 

If airbnb sold insurance to guests and forced them to buy it as a condition of booking, then that sort of thing would not happen and hosts would at least have some protection.  I do not see how doing such a thing is right.

FFS. >.<

@Le12tti

That young lady is very stupid indeed, as she has committed fraud and the insurance company will take a very dim view of this when they find out.

@Cormac0  How are they going to find out? She was at a party bragging about it and my daughter thought it was completely out of line that she did this and mentioned it to me, but a lot of the group high 5'd her for it. She pulled one over them kinda thought. So sad that the a lot of the new generation think this is ok. I am at least glad my children did not agree with this kind of behavior as acceptable, but for many it is and it is happening with no repercussions to the guests doing it. No one checks the details anymore insurance company included. I am floored by some of the things my children tell me, the millennium age group  not completely (not stereotyping here) have no manners or ethic's from what I hear from my children who are surprised by some of the issues they hear about more often than not. I raised my children to be better than this, but it seems most baby boomers did not bother too at least here in the US. 

I have the same complaint.  

I just sent this message to a guest: 

"Hi Kathleen,

I'm sorry, but due to poor and dishonest management at Aribnb, I am declining all inquiries on this listing until the problems are settled.

Regards,
Christopher"

AND they havent kicked you off?

YOU are one lucky guy.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Christopher187  That's probably not the best way to handle things. I don't think that's going to do you any good. Maybe just Snooze your listing until your issues are resolved would be the better choice. 

Kimberly246
Level 2
Wesley Chapel, FL

AirBnB=EBay

same monkey different suit! 

I had read that AirBnB doesn’t do enough to support the host and I didn’t want to believe it.  I’m fairly new (July)  and up until recently things were going well. We had an issue with a guest and Fortunately for us it was a minor issue.  I as a host felt I was not supported and they believe the lies guest told, even though the photos on the listing show evidence of said lie. This has left me scratching my head and really re-evaluating continuing this venture. I have a choice to make about moving forward. 

Why keep making money for a company that doesn’t value all that we do to keep their pockets full. 

Preach on!

I guess soooo many people are listing on airbnb, they 'really'  dont need 'us' ...not even the super hosts, because their method of operation is ALWAYS on their/airbnb side.
EVEN if they give client a refund they get to keep their fees....so what does it metter what WE say......they will replace us, asap, and my fav is the' smart pricing tool.......O .....its ofensive!

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

I’ve experienced Extenuating Circumstances include pre-existing conditions and mysterious illnesses in distant relations after I have declined cancellations for change of mind reasons.

Inexplicably, Airbnb refuses to share the “documentation” they receive to support these claims.