Greek Law about renting a house in Greece

Dimitrios0
Level 1
Heraklion, Greece

Greek Law about renting a house in Greece

Hallo from Greece,

My name is Dimitrios and I would like to rent my house in AirBnb.
Does anybody knows about the rental laws in Greece ?

Thank you very much,
Galatianos 

51 Replies 51

The tax on the rents you collect is 15% if your rent income does not excess 12.000EUR p/year

Hi Greg

I went to ask an accountant, why she explained to me that I need to pay a lot of tax? Your tax system is very complicated. Please advice which way is the best for me to rent my properties. Thanks.

Thank you for the information about registering guests on www.gsis.gr - Ive just visited the site, but cant see exactly where to go - do you mind please to provide more details.  Many thanks Sofia

Jonathan232
Level 1
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Hi can you advise me where on the web site I register the short term lease ? I have taxisnet account ?

Hi Emmanuel

I am new in greece and want to know more about renting my property in greece. Where can I find more information? Thanks. Vicki

Hello I can answer. I have my holidays house here and I rented it until last summer with the system for private owners (no local business). Every time you rent, before the end of the next month of the arrival of your guest your local accountant has to register the contract on line to the local tax office (you need the copy of passeport of one of your guests). When you will declare your greek income for the year (your accountant will do it) you will pay a tax of  15% of your income until 12000 euros and 35% from 12001 euro tu up. You dont need any EOT licence for private people to do it, but is better to have  even if they can ask you 800 euros to obtain it  (lot of papers). The law says that you can use this system only if you dont rent for more than 90 nights per year and have maximum 2 houses (or 2 rooms)  to rent for theese total 90 nights. If you want to pay less taxes, or you have more than 2 houses (per AFM), or you want to rent more than 90 night per year (per AFM) you need to open a local business and ask to upgrade your EOT licence (if you had as a private) to a professional one. As I'm doing. In this case you can rent whatewher for how many nights you want and you can ask for the invoices when you spend money for the house and pay only 27% not of the income but of the benefit (for me is much more interesting becouse I have a lot of fees). And not need to do contracts only to give invoice to your customers (as a hotel). It is better to rent legally becouse even if airbnb protect us it is very easy to see where is your house (especially in a island) and they started controling becouse greek governement needs money and the lobbyes of hotels want to be protected by illegal concurrence . Hope to be helpful. Regards

Natassa0
Level 2
Athens, Greece

Does anyone know if subletting is allowed? (meaning renting to airbnb a house that you are renting from someone else) Obviously the owner has to agree but that is the easy part.... 

you have to declare it in Greek tax return and pay 15% tax (up to 12,000 euro) and 35% tax (above that amount)

Hi

I am really confused about short term rentals in Greece. i understand a new law was voted this week.

Can anyone tell me what i should do to be LEGAL with this activity? 

does it apply on 2017 rentals? or on 2018 as i did not add this extra cost in the 2017 pricing on the different sites..

i will appreciate clean cut answers so i know what to do

Thank you

Kosta

from my understanding of the various news sources, that law was voted and is valid since the 1st of February 2017. But the online platform to register for short term rentals isn't ready, and that's why the law isn't enforced yet. i'm not sure of the dates it will apply for though. it'd be interesting to also hear anyone else with more knowledge on this.

Lillian20
Level 1
Athens, Greece

γειασας με λενε ευαγγελια κ θα ηθελα να μαθω το τροπο φορολογησης για της ενοικιασεις σχετικα με τη νομοθεσια αν καποιος μπορει να με ενημερωσει ευχαριστω

hi does the 60 days apply per house or all together? thanks

90 nights/year  in total and maximum 2 properties per AFM. Otherwise need to open business.

Maggie35
Level 3
Manchester, United Kingdom

is anyone out there making a contract for each person who comes to stay even if they stay only one day?????  An accountact has said it will cost me 30 euros for each contract?  Please help with all experience.  Id too heard it is 15% up to 12,000 euros income.  thanks jackie

your contract is with airbnb...no need for an accountant!!!