Greek Law about renting a house in Greece

Dimitrios0
Level 1
Heraklion, Greece

Greek Law about renting a house in Greece

Hallo from Greece,

My name is Dimitrios and I would like to rent my house in AirBnb.
Does anybody knows about the rental laws in Greece ?

Thank you very much,
Galatianos 

51 Replies 51

I disagree. Airbnb finds customers for you as an agent but you have to declare a contract for every rent you do to the tax office. My accountant makes me for 5 euros each on line. And if your guest arrives in may you have until end of june to declare the contract. As a private I only rented with airbnb website and this was what I did, until I opened a business(right now) . Things are changing very fast in Greece and becoming very stricts (and taxes very high). Easier to do them legally especially for us that are foreigners!

Paule9
Level 2
California, United States

Thank you for sharing advice Maria. I'm in California. It is hard enough to manage a place long distance and impossible without the right info. Do you have the contact where you submit the Tax documents per stay and EOT if that is a different place.

Much appreciated!

Paule

You do not need to do anything with EOT unless you provide services such as breakfast or cleaning service etc while your guests are renting your house. 

You only declare your rent every time you have guests, you apply electronically to taxis.net the amount that you received in your bank account and your guest leader details (full names, passport number, their address wherever they live). 

To do so, you just need to have the energy certificate (energeiako pistopoiitiko in greek) otherwise you will not able to declare the rent. Up to 12.000eur from rents income yearly, you will be taxed 15% and over 12.000 you are taxed 35%. The goverment is supposed since last year to provide unique registration numbers for the owners and those numbers will be shown next to your advert but this is still pending although they have announced this rule over a year! They also said that we are not allowed to rent more than 2 properties under the same AFM (Greek tax registration number). 

Truly, it's a bit of a mess by the time they make up their mind ...

Myself, I apply the rent as I explained and I bear with you!  

@MariaStella0 wrote:

I disagree. Airbnb finds customers for you as an agent but you have to declare a contract for every rent you do to the tax office. My accountant makes me for 5 euros each on line. And if your guest arrives in may you have until end of june to declare the contract. As a private I only rented with airbnb website and this was what I did, until I opened a business(right now) . Things are changing very fast in Greece and becoming very stricts (and taxes very high). Easier to do them legally especially for us that are foreigners!

Hi Maria Stella, could you share your accountant's information with me as well please? I do not live in Greece and my greek language skills are not good enough for me to be able to understand all the requirements for registration. Thank you in advance!

Hi Maggie

Iam from UK as well. Have you already got information regarding renting the property in airbnb? Do you live in Greece now? Thanks, Vicki

George260
Level 1
Oxford, United Kingdom

Hello,

Also from the UK, about renting some property I have in Greece (via co-host) while living abroad. Is the registration live now? What do we need to do? Would it make sense to have a UK company renting the houses?

Best wishes

George

Why doesn't anybody who rents out via AirBnB ask them what obligations they have to foreign governments in terms of reporting rental income?

Airbnb does its best to hide its performance from the public and competitors.

Of course as a private company it has every right to do so, but that makes judging its financial performance very difficult.

Airbnb Inc. is based in Delaware, the U.S. state (if that means anything!).

https://skift.com/2016/12/19/airbnb-is-flush-with-the-money-its-making-outside-the-united-states/

In addition, they should be honest with the "poor saps' who rent out a room to make a living and inform them what their tax obligations are wherever they are!!!

Οταν πας sto site για εγραφη δεν αναγραφη καπου για ενγραφη, εχει κανει καποιος τα βηματα?

It would be beautiful but.... The obligations that you have are yours. Airbnb is only like an agency. If you have a property in a country (and much more if you have in income in this country) it is up to you to know what you have to do to respect the law.

Your accountant is a thief becouse mine here in Rhodes (expensive island) take me 5 euros per contract. And I'm not greek!!!

Paule9
Level 2
California, United States

Hi Maggie

I saw this info on another post here from Living in Crete: 

A lease contract must be submitted in the tax office for each guest that must include: the property registration number in the above register, the energy efficient certification number, the full name of the guest, the arrival and departure dates of the guest, and the amount in euros that the guest or the digital platform has paid for the guest.

It seems doable yourself by creating a standard form (contract), adding an airbnb printout of money received and mailing it in to the tax office before the following month.

What I haven't seen is how to get the property registered number for the 90 day rentals without EOT- has anyone here done it?

Paule

Hi Paule, Thank you for your useful info! May I ask you, what is the property registration number and where can I find it?

Thank you in advance,

Nikoletta

Tzina0
Level 2
Greece

Hello,  can someone help me with a question.  I want to rent my in laws apartment.  It's not under my name .  Would I just be liable to report the income?  Also can I have the income get deposited into my USA bank since I'm a US citizen, love there part of the year  and pay the taxes there.  Thanks

Amalia36
Level 1
Athens, Greece

A good company for property management in Athens is: www.helloguest.gr

They can maybe help you with advices, too.