Greek Law about renting a house in Greece

Maggie35
Level 3
Manchester, United Kingdom

Greek Law about renting a house in Greece

I believe most people rent out apartments on Air bnb in Greece for or longer, but many travellers just need one night or two staying in a persons home. Is there a licence needed to do this? Can anyone enlighten me on the new tax system someone mentioned. I cannot get any clear information. Thanks Jackie

2 Replies 2
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

Hi Jackie 

Are you asking if you need a license to host people in Greece or a licence to stay at someone place on Airbnb?

If you want to know about taxes that you need to pay as a host contact the local tax authority of the Country and make yourself familiar with the rules and regulations. Concerning travellers you don't need any license to book a place on Airbnb! Good luck and have a nice evening!!! 

Regulations on short-term rental properties tend to come at the local level rather than from a national government. I don't think a place exists where a renter would have to apply for a license to stay somewhere, but in most countries in Europe now there are cities or regions that require Airbnb hosts to register as businesses with a local authority. Airbnb doesn't necessarily enforce the rules in every location - logistically, that would be impossible - so a guest will encounter listings that are not technically legal. 

In some places, all nightly accommodations (including homestays) are supposed to be registered; in others, only whole-apartment listings are subject to restrictions or bans. Taxing is an altogether separate issue that gets more complicated, as hosting revenue can be considered both income (like employment) and also subject to a local tourism tax. 

Whether you're a guest or host, my best suggestion would be to research the laws in the specific city or district or island that you have in mind. Be prepared for some confusing information - oftentimes, you'll run up against laws that pre-date Airbnb and a lot of ambiguity about how they apply to different kinds of accommodation. You'll also find that in most locations, the average host isn't playing by the rules as they appear on paper.