Guest Wants To Leave Early - Entitled To Refund?

Eryka0
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Guest Wants To Leave Early - Entitled To Refund?

I rented my main listing to 2 twin sisters, & offered them an additional discount off the monthly rate.  It clearly states on my website, as well as through initial communication, that the listing is not on or near public transportation & that a car was  needed.  I guess they were desperate to find a place, booked, & showed up the same day.  They have complained about the cost of getting around, & even another guest & I have been inconvenienced with trying to accommodate their transportation needs.  After having a discussion, they have decided they will leave in a few days & live in an extended stay.  I started receiving requests within a 2-3 days time period & feel that I lost possible guests due to them being the 1st to book when I had other inquiries.  Does AirBnB step in & try to find them another place that better suits their needs?  Is it fair to charge them the advertised weekly rate & refund the rest?

1 Reply 1
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Firstly, they need to cancel through the site and then they will be refunded according to your cancellation policy or the long term cancellation policy depending on the length of stay they booked in the first place (it is not clear from your message). They could of course contact airbnb to be relocated - that would be for them to do as you are not really responsibe for this mess.

Loosing business because your guests made a mistake or did not bother to read the listing is not your fault.  You could offer a refund if you are able to relet - but at short notice that could maybe prove difficult.