Guest asking for discount because has famous wife -what would you do?

Azzuri0
Level 5
Ubud, Indonesia

Guest asking for discount because has famous wife -what would you do?

So 2 days ago I got an inquiry from a man wanting to stay 4 days in my place in June with his wife, in the request he asked me he would like to get a discount before he books. I politely decline his discount request and I also block him on airbnb so he cannot instant book me anymore.

Next morning when I wake up I find this guys messages to me on social media, even on my email, I have no idea how he found me eveywhere,  but he asks:

“Hi I contacted you about renting your villa June 20-24 and asked if you would offer any discounts for 2 travelers.

I don’t know what happened but now it won’t let me book the villa or message you on the app. Seems like I’m blocked? “

I got a bit annoyed how he found and keeps messaging  me so I answer him:

“I did block you, I don’t feel comfortable with guests asking for discounts, from previous experience  the type of guests who start out asking for a discount, are the ones who are never satisfied & the booking goes downhill from there.”

He then replies me this:

“Wow what a nasty thing to do.

This trip was last second and all the properties we really loved and wanted to stay at were booked...my wife a celebrity makeup artist and we wanted some privacy while on vacation...we’re super easy going and fun.

We simply didn’t need the second bedroom...many property owners offer us free or discounted rates when they find out she’s so famous and THEY ask US to post about our stay in their property...but I’m glad you blocked me...

You’re clearly an unstable human, projecting your issues onto people you’ve never met. 

It’s a shame you live in such a beautiful place but act so ugly.”

Am I wrong the way I handled it? I just don’t understand why someone thinks they are entitled to discount of free stay, no matter who his wife is I still have to pay my staff, the utilities, etc. 

18 Replies 18

Good Girl.....you are experienced and know the pitfalls......every time i had a nagging guests demanding discounts, they break most house rules including trashing my place!

Its that same pattern of behaviour. To not appreciate that someone has open their homes to some stranger with no manners, its a red alert sign. 

Keep hosting this way and keep the offensive ones out!

well done! 

Its not nasty, its called experience hosting! 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

He is obviously a jerk and you are well rid of this couple as guests, I might have tried to be a bit more diplomatic and played dumb about having blocked him and given a more evasive, less direct answer, but I have no doubt they would have been poor and demanding guests.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

I think it was really a good move on your part. I can't believe he stalked you down on social media like that. I do give discounts to active military, but no one else; period. I get asked all the time and say no. I have heard a bunch of reponses from people that justify my actions. 

He is so nasty writing those things, what a horrible person! yuk!

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

Another point, if his wife is so famous WHY does he need a discount?

I still have no idea who this famous woman is, I didn’t even know there are famous makeup artists.

yeah, famous makeup artists, if they do exist then they can definitely pay the set rate.  You did well to refuse him, dodged a nasty Guest there I reckon. Actually you can report him to Airbnb for harassment, for finding you on other sites and for sending nasty messages. 

don't respond to any of his messages from now on, he is troublesome saying those things, who cares about famous or non famous, its about manners and he lacks it by miles, send him an unhappy smiley, period to shut him up

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

Wow.  I didnt know we could block.  I have had similar experiences, discount requesters NEVER respect your property.  How is this blocking done?

@Wendy0 Click on the flag on the users profile and select the option to block this user.

Thank you so much

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

" ...all the properties we really loved and wanted to stay at were booked..."

This clown knows how to get the love  🙂

yep! My guess is they have blocked him,too!

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I’m so happy for you that you do not have to host this dreadful guest. 

Decline & Block. More hosts should use this feature!