Guest asking for discount because has famous wife -what would you do?

Azzuri0
Level 5
Ubud, Indonesia

Guest asking for discount because has famous wife -what would you do?

So 2 days ago I got an inquiry from a man wanting to stay 4 days in my place in June with his wife, in the request he asked me he would like to get a discount before he books. I politely decline his discount request and I also block him on airbnb so he cannot instant book me anymore.

Next morning when I wake up I find this guys messages to me on social media, even on my email, I have no idea how he found me eveywhere,  but he asks:

“Hi I contacted you about renting your villa June 20-24 and asked if you would offer any discounts for 2 travelers.

I don’t know what happened but now it won’t let me book the villa or message you on the app. Seems like I’m blocked? “

I got a bit annoyed how he found and keeps messaging  me so I answer him:

“I did block you, I don’t feel comfortable with guests asking for discounts, from previous experience  the type of guests who start out asking for a discount, are the ones who are never satisfied & the booking goes downhill from there.”

He then replies me this:

“Wow what a nasty thing to do.

This trip was last second and all the properties we really loved and wanted to stay at were booked...my wife a celebrity makeup artist and we wanted some privacy while on vacation...we’re super easy going and fun.

We simply didn’t need the second bedroom...many property owners offer us free or discounted rates when they find out she’s so famous and THEY ask US to post about our stay in their property...but I’m glad you blocked me...

You’re clearly an unstable human, projecting your issues onto people you’ve never met. 

It’s a shame you live in such a beautiful place but act so ugly.”

Am I wrong the way I handled it? I just don’t understand why someone thinks they are entitled to discount of free stay, no matter who his wife is I still have to pay my staff, the utilities, etc. 

18 Replies 18
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Azzuri-

Wow, how good are you....you handled that perfectly Azzuri. I wish all hosts could see the way you have approached this. This is one entirely entitled individual who has made his way through life riding on the shirt tales of someone else!

There would have been issues with guest for sure Azzuri and good on you for having the strength to say....."Not here, you don't".  You are one fine host!

Famous 'make-up' artist.....really!! There are countless thousands of them around the world! My wife is capable of a pretty good job every now and then! But unless this one has managed to transform Queen Elizabeth 11 into Godzilla, I don't think too many people could tell you who she is or what she has done.

What a turkey, he would want to keep a low profile around Thanksgiving!!

Azzuri, I salute you....well done.

Cheers......Rob

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

"super easy going and fun" alright.  This is hilarious.

IMO, you did great!!!!! I would have probably done more or less the same and would have blocked that guest!!!

The fact that he found you and sent you messages AFTER being blocked says sooooo~ much about the type of trash he is. And seriously......my wife is so famous~THEY ask US to post~ talk about acting ugly!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Looks like her 'celebrity' status of servicing the so-called celebrities isn't bringing in the celebrity status income to keep her and hubby in super comfortable rentals. And the nasty way he lashed out at you when you didn't play ball?  why most of our guts reject these lame discount reasons that don't hold water. Easy-going till the going gets rough, and when the rough gets going it's bye-bye easy going 😉