Guest hasn't returned the keys

AJ-and-Erica0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Guest hasn't returned the keys

Hello! We received a guest for the last 3 days. She wasn't the best guest but I let her leave her luggage when she requested. She check out on time and supposedly she was going to come back for her things around 5pm. It was already past 7pm and no sign of her so I messaged to check on her and asked to return the keys as we need to prepared the room and handle the keys for our next guest (we do not have guests coming today or tomorrow but I prefer to say that otherwise guests abuse the favour). But well she did. Its past 11pm and still no sign of her. I've messaged her again on her phone and no replies. I do not want to be hold responsible for holding her things and also and most important, she need to return the keys to our flat. I told her on the message politely that to handle it before midnight but i dont think this is happening. If it pasts midnight I would consider another night as she still has the keys. I am very nice to guests, give what they need when requested, we are 5 stars, and very reasonable but this one is taking the p*ss. leaving luggage is favour that hosts make for guests. But I a more concerned that she still has the keys.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5
Jenny136
Level 2
Singapore

impose a penalty and charge accordingly.

A friend of mine had almost the exact same situation, and it turned out her guest had been arrested and spent the night in jail before they could post bail! She came back the next day and apologized, so things happen. Your guest could be hospitalized or something. It's unlikely someone would leave their luggage on purpose, and are unlikely to break in using your key. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and invest in a key code lock to avoid this in the future.

Thank you for you reply! Yes, we imagined that maybe something happened. Hopefully not. And if not, I do believe she left on purpose. Was too tired to comeback or something as she moved to London and was visiting her family too. 

@AJ-and-Erica0 - at this point you absolutely must loop Airbnb into the situation.  You cannot get ahold of the guest, they have access to your property way past check out, and they have left personal belongings behind.  None of this is good for you and you need assistance.  First of all, follow all Airbnb directions.  Shy of that, tell the guest that you are packing her belongings and putting them out of your home so that you are not legally responsible for them.  Perhaps her suitcase is filled with Heroin.... you do not want that in your home should she, if she were arrested, decide to put that burden on you.  Plan on having the locks changed IMMEDIATELY and contact Airbnb to discuss this with them IN ADVANCE.  She has a key and is now non-responsive and you are uncomfortable.  You will need to file a claim to get reimbursement and need to make sure you are following the exact steps that Airbnb lays out for you regarding this reimbursement from the Resolution Center. When you reach out to Airbnb, ask if it is possible to request a reservation change for the additional night for the failure to return the key.   They may ask you to contact the police to get an eviction direction, be prepared to do this.  

Thank you for you response! I am very concerned and I did message airbnb on the help centre but i Haven’t got a reply. Its 6am here in the Uk and still no sign of her.
I can’t leave her belongings in the hall of my building or I would be called out, nothing is allowed in the common areas. Not sure If i should put the chain in my door as I do not feel safe with this unusual behaviour of this guest. She stayed here for 3 nights and said she was moving to London, and she could have stayed in her parents house if she wanted. She also have easy access to her phone, so no excuses for not responding or not coming back.