Guest profile pictures removed

John232
Level 10
Bangor, United Kingdom

Guest profile pictures removed

I have been an Airbnb host for many years, but am very concerned to find just now that profile pictures of potential guests are now not being displayed until a booking is confirmed. For me and I am sure many other hosts who welcome guests into our homes it is vitally important to be able to see what a guest is like and make a judgement about their suitability for accommodation within ones home where there may also be children. I am VERY concerned about this decision that seems to encourage 'incognito' travelling, and I cannot continue to offer accommodation unless hosts are able to see a good clear and recognisable profile picture of potential guests BEFORE we accept a new booking.

Withdrawing profile pictures makes selecting our guests a lottery, and takes away from us the ability to exercise choice. This is not what I regard as responsible hosting. I have always valued the vetting process provided by Airbnb but have many times expressed my concern that so many guests seem to seek accommodation with avatar profile images. In my opinion this is an insult to the hospitality offered by hosts. This new decision to hide all profile pictures of guests until after acceptance is not acceptable, because it encourages this incognito invasion of a hosts private home.

250 Replies 250

Well done Julie, good on you...WAKE UP AND LISTEN TO US AIRBNB!!

Noy3
Level 1
Jerusalem, Israel

I came back to discover this new policy after a break from hosting. I hate it! I don't use instant booking as I had issues with men booking my listing despite writing that I only accept females. Now, I get requests from names with no way to tell if the guest is male or female. I ask of course, but having the photo helped me to vet guests which is important to me as I live on the premises and have pets as well. I don't know what Airbnb was thinking..... 

Julie4
Level 6
Brighton, United Kingdom

I have been using Airbnb succesfullyfor 4 years,  it's been a mostly enjoyable experience without problems. I am taking less bookings now since I'm unable to see the guests profile picture because I don't feel safe. I'd rather have less income than make myself feel uncomfortable and take the risk. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be another platform like the old Airbnb model.

Bea90
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I agree 100% with this- it is now the hosts who are being discriminated against and used as cash cows for airbnb’s own gain. I have literally had an horrific experience and guest stay who leaves today (thank god!) because of this. If the phot had been available I would never of accepteded the booking as my instincts kicked in- I have been a host for 5 years and never had a bad guest until now. Absolutely horrific guest and Airbnb have been absolutely horrific to support me and refuse to pay me any compensation. I am now considering leaving Airbnb as honestly it is not worth the hassle and Airbnb has an awful reputation and just there to take money for their own gain. My home has been violated and Airbnb don’t care at all. There are other sites who are competitors of Airbnb so I’ll probably go and test them and do it on my own again. No safety or protection for the hosts at all now- why should my photo be shown and I’m not protected?????  

Bea90
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

So let’s all leave this platform and either create another one as a group of valid hosts or do your own? (it’s not costly and anything webbased kids are taught to do these days so maybe your children could make it for you?!!)  

how can the hosts OST’s get this deacision reversed? Honestly leave and hit Airbnb in the financial pocket and spread word to other hosts not to bother doing it- this will explain why the host referral fee has increased as Airbnb want to buy us off however it isn’t frankly worth it and as one lady below Julie said, I’d rather loose income and keep my home and my safety safe. Not worth the hassle at all now. How can you ask in conversations “are you male or female? What nationality are you? Etc” hosts are then made to be discriminative etc Airbnb you have messed up BIG TIME. hosts what are we going to do about it??

What platform do you suggest? groups in facebook are getting shutdown for being so called "hate groups".  The world is just getting uglier and uglier. I just don't get it.  I ask for pictures before I allow anyone to come. I have them connect with me on facebook or email to an email I have set up just for this purpose so that I don't get spammed. Some do not bother, and I am completely fine with that. 

I did not know that referral fees went up, good to know. When I talk to airbnb their employees are aware of how many people are unhappy about it. It is a safety issue and in my opinion, it is discriminatory because they can see my face. 

Bea90
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Rhonda 

i dint know any myself and it will be as it was for us when we joined Airbnb, trial and error. I don’t feel safe tonhave people now in my home unless I have to ask very intrusive questions like age, sex, religion, sexual orientation (I have had a lovely gay man stay but he kept bringing his hookups to stay and it wasn’t on, not via Airbnb but it’s the same) also I ask that stuff as it does matter: I do r want someone in my home who I have nothing in common with if it’s a stay that more than three days also I need to have some sense of who they are. It’s awkward and not worth me bothering. The person leaving today has no reviews so I will never let someone stay again who has no reviews. My though process was that someone had to give them a try and wow it’s backfired massively. Never again! It’s my property so I make the rules and do why is right for me not Airbnb.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Bea90 I hope you're well!

Are you actually asking your potential guests the questions you mention in your post before you book them in?

@Bea90 I always ask for full name of all guests, address of the one booking and check-in/out time. And take the name to Facebook, often you will be able to find the guest there. Its working for me.

***Per Java***

I agree! I have focused on other platforms and have built great business there so that I can remove AirBnB. Getting ready to shut down now. 

John232
Level 10
Bangor, United Kingdom

I have remained a member of Airbnb because I may wish to travel.  I used to think Airbnb was a fantastic company with a brilliant vision, but now my opinion of them could not be lower.

It would be good to set up an alternative platform that operates to enable people to make contact who wish to share anything, ie not just their hospitality, but their skills, and local knowledge, and companionship, all at a very low cost.

Guy304
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

How can we complain with forte on this subject. Highly irresponsible decision by Airbnb, no fundamental understanding that hosts are private homeowners, not hotel owners. It doesn't matter how many guests want to book, if there are no hosts there is no Airbnb! 

John232
Level 10
Bangor, United Kingdom

Hi Guy388,

It seems that Airbnb are intent upon carrying on regardless of host objection. I have been excluded  from contributing to this debate for some time and maybe this message will not get posted.  I no longer allow Airbnb bookings and use 'Spare room' and 'Booking.com'.  Like most other businesses that pursue maximum profit, Airbnb seems to want to move up market, and they are not so interested in hosts who wish to provide a lowcost personal service to guests.

Guy304
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Ah, someone else recommended booking.com. Well done for starting this thread. G

John232
Level 10
Bangor, United Kingdom

'Spare room' web site seems to be used by people who need accommodation for several weeks or months whilst doing local work,or study, where as my Airbnb guests were normally for one night or a weekend to explore the area or attend an event.

What I object to most of all is the trend that it is cool to be anonymous and to hid behind a joke avatar. The internet is already so full of fraud and scams that we should all be united in our vigilance to stamp out any new way that gives the space for people to get into our homes under false pretences.  I don't at all trust the Airbnb scrutiny system when I have had men arriving when the booking was made by a woman, and also when a guest was a 14 year old boy from Japan travelling the UK on his own. Also when one person books and two (or more) arrive.  The value I wish to promote in internet hosting is open hospitality to verified people who carry with them a track record of reliability and respect.