Guest wants his refund back

Answered!
Josephine10
Level 2
Richmond, Australia

Guest wants his refund back

My guest and his family arriving on 20 Jan'17 wants his depost back as his wife has been unwell since before christmas allegdly and is cancelling his trip. This is tennis season, I am close to Rod Lave Arena, I have potentially lost other bookings. What do I do give him his refund or not. This money is my income! Any suggestions, opinions are more than welcome. Josephine

1 Best Answer
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Josephine10

First step is your guest has to cancel his booking. Make sure he does this immediately- and that he does not ask you to do so. Under no circumstances should you initiate or accept a request from him for a cancellation.

your cancellation policy will then come into play. Remember that you have received no money to date so you have nothing to refund. You will be paid according to your cancellation policy approx 24 hours after your guest should have checked in.

you can tell your guest that the sooner he cancels the more opportunity you have to resell night (which if you do, you can offer to refund).

Note that if he wishes to claim under AirBnB's extenuating circumstances policy then he may get a full refund. He will need to provide certain information nation to prove his case.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Josephine10

First step is your guest has to cancel his booking. Make sure he does this immediately- and that he does not ask you to do so. Under no circumstances should you initiate or accept a request from him for a cancellation.

your cancellation policy will then come into play. Remember that you have received no money to date so you have nothing to refund. You will be paid according to your cancellation policy approx 24 hours after your guest should have checked in.

you can tell your guest that the sooner he cancels the more opportunity you have to resell night (which if you do, you can offer to refund).

Note that if he wishes to claim under AirBnB's extenuating circumstances policy then he may get a full refund. He will need to provide certain information nation to prove his case.

Hi Gerry & Rashid, Thank you ever so much for your help I sincerly appreciate it. Josephine

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Josephine10

And if Airbnb sends you an email asking if you agree with this cancellation DO NOT ACCEPT, but check off 'I would continue to host guest'. Otherwise the cancellation will be bounced back onto you with all penalties applied!

Hi Andrea, Thank you for your help also. Josephine