Guest wants to book for a few hours

Von3
Level 4
Boston, MA

Guest wants to book for a few hours

Hi everyone, I have an interesting inquiry. A potential guest would like to check in early and leave before nighfall. She lives just a town over. I've asked her what her reason was for the short stay and if everything is okay. She said everything is okay and that she might need to have a short stay like this in the future. What do you all think? Has anyone experienced this before? What was the real story there?

12 Replies 12
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Von3 When I used to work at a motel back in the day, we used to call this a "shower rate". She's likely looking for a place to have an affair, to be polite about it.

Joel167
Level 2
Rogers City, MI

I use to work for a large chain hotel and i've heard of guests just wanting to get away for a few hours to escape whatever it is they need a short break from, i.e. kids, work, stress, etc.  I've seen this more with married adults who need to study for  college exams the night before, (especially busy mothers).  It usually was  a local or someone not to far away that wanted the short break too. Whatever the case maybe, I would still ask questions and charge the full night if you feel comfortable. I co-host my parents home and I still worry a little when theres a new resevervation.  Your not alone.  

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Happened to me the other day, she arrived and had just realised that her flight was 6am not 6pm the following day, slept for 4 hours or so and left.

I have also had it the other way when someone has not come back that night but the following morning, I assumed partying and decided to crash.

Is there a difference between someone who tells you up front they will be there for a few hours and somebody who books the night but leaves really early? 

David
Von3
Level 4
Boston, MA

@Alexandra316, that's interesting-- maybe naive of me, but I didn't even think about the affair aspect. Lol.

@Joel167, that's heartening to hear-- people just looking to escape children or stress for a few hours. I thought maybe it was a domestic violence situation or someone trying to hide a job loss from family but she didn't provide details when I asked.

@David126, good point about people not getting their flight details correct, I'll have to keep that in mind in the future. I'm pretty open to the few hour stay but was just worried since she lives a town over and mentioned she is looking for this type of stay in the future. On the one hand, I thought it was a good sign that she asked instead of instantly booking but still, a strange request.

Thanks all for responding!

@Von3 Honestly, the fact that she didn't offer any more details even when asked makes me think it's what I suggested. If it's something innocent, why not just say it? Seems odd. 

I also agree that it's what you mentioned. We couldn't accomadate her early check-in but now I wonder what I would have done!

Shauna46
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

It could be she needs a private space for therapy sessions Not to confuse with sex sessions these are like no more than simple massages and if she is just starting out in her own business maybe she does not have a place to  conduct  her work all those all the time or she can’t afford it yet that was one of the reasons why I needed to rent a place hourly a couple times a week. But everyone always assumes the worst they think is going to be a brothel or something  people all think that  if a girl must be a whore if she wants to rent the room by the hour give me a break people come on it’s the 20th century and I’m Not surprised if she was shy to say what her profession was because of the way you guys may have judged  her...

@Shauna46  But it isn't appropriate to book an Airbnb to conduct a business venture. Everyone who comes to the Airbnb needs to be registered with the host, otherwise the host's insurance wouldn't be valid, nor would Airbnb back up the host if someone not mentioned on the reservation would have an accident, etc. So having clients coming and going isn't okay.

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

We had a couple that checked in early and left a few hours later as they were on a road trip so needed to get a good few hours of sleep, rest their eyes from driving & have a hot shower & dinner before continuing their long drive. It can be many positive reasons!

.... but THIS potential guest lives locally! -Fishy!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen350 

Most often it is the clandestine affair Helen!

Harping back to @Von3 's initial post  here 18 months ago, if the inquiring woman felt comfortable telling Von the reason for such a short stay, she would have! She would have put some legitimacy to the question.

These requests do come from time to time, almost always on a Friday and the request is always by the woman...and the request invariably lacks.....detail!.

The boss who wants a bit of extra 'work experience' with the secretary is not going to jump state borders to do it. And in almost all cases neither his pocket nor his desire is deep enough to lash out on an extravagant dinner and a night at the opera before hand! The secretary just chalks it up as a work related expense!

That's the way these requests go in the great scheme of things. 

I reject them unless there is a compelling reason why my place needs to used instead of theirs! It's not that I have a 'thing' about the nature of the visit, it's just that they tend to leave a disproportionate amount of mess for the amount of time they stayed!

Respect for the property is never their first consideration! Business to be avoided!

@Sarah977  @Andrea-and-Francis0  @Alexandra316 

Cheers.....Rob

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Yes @Robin4 , What I was thinking, but did not say!