Guest wants to see the place before comming in

John7
Level 1
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa

Guest wants to see the place before comming in

I have had several requests for people to see the place before they commit. Air BnB does not allow you to give information about address or telephone number before they receive the money. Is ther a way around this - I have absolutely no intention of short changing Air BNB. I also dont want to lose the potential client.  I would like some advice on how to handle this - Kind regards

John Mills

51 Replies 51
Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

Don't do it!

People trying to go outside the system

(1) are trying to not pay the airbnb fees

(2) are looking for special treatment and will bother you till the end

(3) will negotiate, discuss, harangue about everything in your contract

(4) you will need to run after them for payment.

I just had a person who wanted to book my whole highest season the entire month thru HomeAway.

He found my number on the web.  I told him he could visit the property but since I'm not there he would have to pay my property manager 30 euros, like a meet and greet, for someone to come and open the door.

He didn't agree, "it's not the money its the principal", started negotiating and didn't want to pay to be able to see the apartment so I apologized politely wished him a good vacation and blocked him on Whatsapp.

After searching all around the area several weeks later he decided that my property was best.

The nightmare started.  His wife (!!) contacted me with her phone number since he was blocked.

She didn't identify herself as his wife.  She pretended to just have heard that i had a rental in the neighborhood.

This started 2 weeks of haggling, discussing the price, asking for extra services, telling me my policies were not normal, asking for extra linens, not wanting to pay the electricity fee, ...

I kept trying to blow them off they kept coming back.

I've lost sleep over this not knowing how to turn them down firmly and politely without angering them so that they leave a bad review on my website.

It's not worth it that's the last time I'm contacting someone who wants to visit the property;

In general they are taking their rental way too seriously and importantly and will annoy the heck out of you till the end.

I am so very sorry that you went through this. It's harassment and intimidation. Imagine what hosting them would be like!

....on the other hand, it sounds like you dodged a bullet. 

I do not publish my phone number. A normal conversation can turn unpleasant quickly, as you have seen. And they waste a lot of time. 

I don't publish my phone number, they were extremely creative in getting in touch with me...

and energy! and sleep!

Hi @Susan1188

thank You for sharing Your story. You wrote:

"..........without angering them so that they leave a bad review on my website."

How would these people leave a review on Your website if they didn't stay? At HomeAway You need to having had a rental contract to leave a review.

Letting people visiting the propery prior to renting it makes no sense at all.  I did it when I started to let my house but stoped it 10 years ago.  It's just a waste of time.

Oh my gosh - not everyone is a scammer.  I wonder if you're in the right business.  I'm completely turned off by this whole topic. I felt like I was doing something against the law. Better explanations to those of us who legitimately just want to see where and what is out there.  Best of luck to everyone involved, I guess-?

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

My property is published on Google maps, anyone can leave a review, neighbor, competitor, random hater, etcc....

I agree with you about visits will not do them again!  They can rent a weekend if they absolutely want to see it!

And same for any kind of special requests or negotiations on the standard contract.

This seems to happen more for long term rentals when people are uptight about the budget and commitment.  Let them come for a weekend first to try it if they need to.

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

I also just had a second person contact me outside the system via my website directly.  I don't know if she saw the listing on Air or HomeAway or what.

After stringing me along for 10 days (with the high season dates tentatively booked), she of course never paid the deposit. She claimed she couldn't find flight tickets (um, google flights?) then she couldn't figure out how to pay the money (um, paypal?)...

So my only two experiences with outside bookers looking to save the fees were catastrophes. 

I mean, people want to save the fees but when a guest in country X has to send money to a host in country Y for an apartment in country Z... after they think about it for a day or two they realize that might be a bad idea maybe better to pay the fees.

Camilo88
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

Great topic John, Even though this post is over 3 years old still relevant today as i freshly started to list my entire house. And as an answer to this situation would be,  I would and am planning to make a youtube video of my listing  as a complete walk through of my listing with address blurred or blocked when entering for privacy reasons and a guide and instructions to move about the house and certain items special instructions to operate. And in doing so hopefully this will eliminate those situations. 

I had this just yesterday.  She wanted my phone number, which I didn't give her.  Airbnb could see my messages, I gave her the address she looked around wanted time to think, a potential 3 month stay.  I did a recap of everything to her in a message that Airbnb could see.  I gave her 24 hours to make up her mind and when I didn't hear I declined and freed up my calendar for the second half of February.

Hi there,

I specialize in long term, up to 8 months. I have the reviews to prove my hospitalily. I have Airbnb to prevent this massive time waster. It's three months out of their lives, not a home purchase.

Others can tell you what these sessions are like. Personally I would rather have a root canal. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @John7 & other hosts.

NYET, NO, NEIN, NON... 

Never ever...

@Mandi-S-Just-Business-Ro0@Jaklin--Aka--Jacqueline-0

This was my last response to such an enquirer:

“Thank you for your enquiry regarding our Airbnb homestay. Unfortunately, we do not allow visits. Our Airbnb homestay is strictly for booked guests as this is also our private residence. 

There is however, plenty of information in the descriptor, as well as many photographic images, that should meet your queries. However, if you have any further questions, I am more then happy to answer them for you.”

@Cathie19 

NEIN: Your german is perfect.

Jennifer1610
Level 2
Middletown, NY

I had asked to have a local family member look at the rental as I am traveling from outside the country and am not sure if these photos are accurate. I have two small children and dont want to spend lots of money and show up to something no appropriate for my family. I understand the rentors trying to protect themselves but what about protecting the actual consumer?

@Jennifer1610  You should be able to ascertain if a listing will be suitable by thoroughly reading the description, viewing the photos, reading the reviews, and messaging with the host with any questions you may have.

Hosts can't even see a photo of the guests anymore before a booking is confirmed. I understand the need to feel assured a place will be suitable, especially when traveling with children, but hosts are taking much more of a risk in accepting strangers into our homes than guests are when booking, since you have info about the listing and the host available to you, that hosts don't have about guests.

If you're that concerned, book a hotel or  a regular B&B or guest house that your family member can go check out. It's not appropriate to pre-view an Airbnb listing.