Guests arriving hours late

Answered!
Helen0
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Guests arriving hours late

I've been hosting for four years and having dealt with a fair few guest idiosyncracies, I thought I'd got to grips with how to set reasonable and respectful expectations and boundaries, but it seems there is always something new to deal with! I don't know why this is starting to happen now when it hasn't been such a problem before, but in recent months I have had several groups of guests turn up hours later than the check-in time we've agreed and it's becoming a real annoyance! What can I do about it?

It's bad enough when the guest is staying at my own home. At least I can get on with my life while I wait for them, although it is often hugely inconvenient that I can't leave the house for hours, and I've often had to cancel social engagements or make apologies for my own late arrival because I've had to wait for guests. It's much worse when I am waiting for them at one of my three other listings which are not my own home. I have a busy life and I always have a whole load of other things to do in a day, I simply don't have whole free afternoons or evenings to just wait in an empty property for people to arrive. I try to pin people down to a check-in time when they book. I give preferred check-in 'windows' on my listings and include copious advice about exactly how long it takes to drive here. If they haven't confirmed a definite time by a couple of days before their arrival, I chase them until they do. I am crystal clear with them about when I need to be somewhere else and can't just drop everything to check them in if they turn up at a different time. I offer pick-ups from the airport to make arrival smoother. I say no to early check-ins and late check-outs that would cause problems. I ask people to confirm when they are nearly at the property, I send them messages when they don't arrive by the time we've agreed, I even send them updates if I hear that there are traffic congestion problems or delays at the airport. And yet. More and more often guests are simply treating me as if I have nothing better to do than sit around all day waiting for them without even the courtesy of a message.

As I type this in gritted-teeth frustration, I rushed home from work today because today's guests wanted to check-in an hour earlier than my usual time. I raced to get the room ready for them as the previous guest only checked-out after I had already left this morning so I had to do a super-quick turnaround. As agreed, I sent them a message to confirm that I was now home and that they could check-in. The appointed hour came and went. Ninety minutes after the agreed arrival time, I finally got a response to my message - their SatNav says they are still two hours away! No apology, either for the lateness or the lack of updates. And on top of having my afternoon stolen from me because I couldn't just relax at home or leave the house, since I was expecting them at any moment, I now have to sit tight for another couple of hours and welcome them with a smile whenever they feel like showing up!

This is happening with nearly 50% of guests recently. The record was a guest who arrived five hours after she said she would, but only got in contact after I had waited, across town, for over two hours. Again, I got no apology - just a weak explanation that the journey had taken them longer than they'd expected - on a Friday afternoon before a bank holiday weekend, on the M6, well how unexpected!

I could do with some advice from experienced hosts. There is no amount of tinkering with the listing or the house rules that's going to solve this, I've already done all that many times. And since it's now becoming a pattern, I can't put it down to the personality of any particular guest. What I would appreciate are some tips or tricks that have worked for other people to somehow get across to self-involved inconsiderate people that they need to show me some better manners! Any thoughts?

Many thanks to anyone who's read through my ranting! 

1 Best Answer

You are jumping through hoops.  If it is inconvenient just set a window and go about your business.  Let them know if they miss the check-in window, they can stop for dinner until you are home.  Then ask them to text you when they arrive so they'll be waiting for you.  I also start checking on a guests eta the day before arrival and sometimes advise of traffic problems so they'll leave home earlier to arrive earlier.

View Best Answer in original post

61 Replies 61

[Inappropriate Content]

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

@GuestStay0. Congrats to you. Try not to bump into the walls too often, it seems to have lead to some noticeable issues.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

I just want to step into this conversation and remind everyone that here in the CC we are respectful to one another. We encourage you to share your opinions here and you may not always agree with a view or comment that a fellow member has made, but lets keep it constructive and never personal. We are all here to share conversations, experiences and help each other as fellow hosts so lets remember that, respect each other and we can all enjoy this space together. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

[Inappropriate Content]

Camilla28
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi, I have been hosting succesfully for a few years - but last night a guest arrived at my property in London at 12.00midnight - and despite asking me to make lots of tricky, last minute arrangements for his late check-in - he took one look at the place, complained that there were 'shoes everywhere' and that the washing machine light was on - and then left. And this was at 1.00am and he had just arrived from Portugal - where on earth did he go at that hour?  I'm not sure how to deal with this... 

There is not a lot you can do, presumably he has not cancelled through the system?

How long was he due to stay?

David
Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

Here you are again...

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Barry54
Level 3
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom

It's now 23:50. We've been waiting for guests who said they would be checking in between 3 and 5 pm. They messaged at 17:50 to say they were stuck in traffic and would arrive at 18:30. At 21:20 they said they were on their way. We asked for an ETA but got no reply. Where do we stand?

I see you check in is until 10pm, that late and having heard nothing more I would be heading to bed. Do you know where they were coming from?, can hardly blame it on the M25 at that time of night.

David
Barry54
Level 3

Well they never showed!   But as Dire Straits once put it; Money for Nothing!! 

I'm over it. I'm calling them out in their reviews and marking people down for "house rules" and communication. It is the only way to re-train people out of this hotel mind set that they can come whenever. They are getting a killer deal using airbnb, and the only way that works is if we don't have to stand there for an eight hour period waiting for them.

Just now, I asked the guest "What time would you like to meet Monday for check in?" (since she has not told me when yet)

She responds " I'll be in driving and plan on getting to the area around noon. What time is check in?"  --- Note: could airbnb make this more clear to them? It seems like a mystery for everyone. 

I respond "Between 2pm and 7pm" 

She says OK,I'll be there sometime before sunset (which is 7:30pm). 

I respond again: "Ok, but can you pick a time so I can plan around it? If you are trying to catch the sunset downtown (they are pretty spectacular) we could meet at 5pm and that would give you enough time to see it." 

She responds "is it better to see sunset there at the boat (that she is renting) or downtown? that would help me plan"

I respond "Downtown."

She comes back with "Ok cool, let's meet at 3pm."

This is the type of hounding we have to do and I start doing it a few days in advance. Will she stick to 3pm?  We'll see. If she doesn't I'm going to mark her down. Flight delays/cancellations are understandable. Being flaky after you chose the time is not.  In order for Airbnb to work we need to be able to do other things with our lives. This is not a full-time gig but if guests continute to be late it becomes one. 

Barry54
Level 3

It gets better! They had booked for 2 nights. We got a text at 22:45 last night saying that they were on their way (our late check-in time is 22:00). We weren't going to answer the door!  As it turns out we didn't have to as they sent a final text just after midnight saying they weren't coming at all.  Stick to hotels next time guys!!!

Barry54
Level 3

And now she's asking for a refund!!!

Let's play charades, two words, first word rhyme with "duck", second word is opposite to "on"!

That is funny, some people are so entitled. Did she say why? A simple decline is best no need to get inti a conversation.

David
Laura846
Level 2
Seattle, WA

This is a bit tangential.  I have two young women (with limited English) flying in from California later this week.  In earlier communication they had already proved themselves to be somewhat unpleasant.  I asked them when they were planning to arrive and they said about 10:00 pm.  Would that be ok?  I am usually flexible about check in times in order to accomodate people's plane and driving schedules. However, usually guests misjudge their arrival times when arriving by plane and driving north through Seattle.  I asked when their plane was going to arrive and if they were renting a car since that would give me a better idea of their arrival time.  They just answered that they were renting a car.  I asked again what time their plane was to arrive.  11:00 am.  They wanted to do some visiting or touring before they arrived.  I am 71 years old and tend to run out of energy in the evening.  I see no reason to stay up that late to check in guests in this situation especially since I aniticpate that 10:00 would stretch to 10:30 or later.  I suggested that they either come directly here (north of Seattle) in which case they could stay out as late as they liked or check in by 8:00 pm.  Now I know I could leave a hidden key or use a lock box.  I have a coded entry in my daylight basement which is also rented out through Airbnb but I want to actually see people and talk with guests who are sharing the main part of my home.  I sent the message about suggested times  a week ago and have not heard back. I am a super host and frankly if it were not that I would l loose that status I would just cancel this reservation. I suspect that they are planning to just arrive when they chose and expect me to put up with it.  I have been hosting for years and I  know I am overreacting a bit but these guests have raised my hacckles.  Usually, I am very flexible about arrival times.  Please don't tell me that I shouldn't be hosting.  I enjoy almost all of my guests and I like sharing my home with guests.