Guests arriving hours late

Answered!
Helen0
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Guests arriving hours late

I've been hosting for four years and having dealt with a fair few guest idiosyncracies, I thought I'd got to grips with how to set reasonable and respectful expectations and boundaries, but it seems there is always something new to deal with! I don't know why this is starting to happen now when it hasn't been such a problem before, but in recent months I have had several groups of guests turn up hours later than the check-in time we've agreed and it's becoming a real annoyance! What can I do about it?

It's bad enough when the guest is staying at my own home. At least I can get on with my life while I wait for them, although it is often hugely inconvenient that I can't leave the house for hours, and I've often had to cancel social engagements or make apologies for my own late arrival because I've had to wait for guests. It's much worse when I am waiting for them at one of my three other listings which are not my own home. I have a busy life and I always have a whole load of other things to do in a day, I simply don't have whole free afternoons or evenings to just wait in an empty property for people to arrive. I try to pin people down to a check-in time when they book. I give preferred check-in 'windows' on my listings and include copious advice about exactly how long it takes to drive here. If they haven't confirmed a definite time by a couple of days before their arrival, I chase them until they do. I am crystal clear with them about when I need to be somewhere else and can't just drop everything to check them in if they turn up at a different time. I offer pick-ups from the airport to make arrival smoother. I say no to early check-ins and late check-outs that would cause problems. I ask people to confirm when they are nearly at the property, I send them messages when they don't arrive by the time we've agreed, I even send them updates if I hear that there are traffic congestion problems or delays at the airport. And yet. More and more often guests are simply treating me as if I have nothing better to do than sit around all day waiting for them without even the courtesy of a message.

As I type this in gritted-teeth frustration, I rushed home from work today because today's guests wanted to check-in an hour earlier than my usual time. I raced to get the room ready for them as the previous guest only checked-out after I had already left this morning so I had to do a super-quick turnaround. As agreed, I sent them a message to confirm that I was now home and that they could check-in. The appointed hour came and went. Ninety minutes after the agreed arrival time, I finally got a response to my message - their SatNav says they are still two hours away! No apology, either for the lateness or the lack of updates. And on top of having my afternoon stolen from me because I couldn't just relax at home or leave the house, since I was expecting them at any moment, I now have to sit tight for another couple of hours and welcome them with a smile whenever they feel like showing up!

This is happening with nearly 50% of guests recently. The record was a guest who arrived five hours after she said she would, but only got in contact after I had waited, across town, for over two hours. Again, I got no apology - just a weak explanation that the journey had taken them longer than they'd expected - on a Friday afternoon before a bank holiday weekend, on the M6, well how unexpected!

I could do with some advice from experienced hosts. There is no amount of tinkering with the listing or the house rules that's going to solve this, I've already done all that many times. And since it's now becoming a pattern, I can't put it down to the personality of any particular guest. What I would appreciate are some tips or tricks that have worked for other people to somehow get across to self-involved inconsiderate people that they need to show me some better manners! Any thoughts?

Many thanks to anyone who's read through my ranting! 

1 Best Answer

You are jumping through hoops.  If it is inconvenient just set a window and go about your business.  Let them know if they miss the check-in window, they can stop for dinner until you are home.  Then ask them to text you when they arrive so they'll be waiting for you.  I also start checking on a guests eta the day before arrival and sometimes advise of traffic problems so they'll leave home earlier to arrive earlier.

View Best Answer in original post

61 Replies 61

Just saw this, but I wonder if sometimes honesty is the best policy. "I'm 71 and I can't stay up that late." I feel like people would get that. Just because they ASK doesn't mean you must bow down. I try and be accommodating as well, but to a point. If they get in early then they should be able to come check in...not take their time. 

Alex491
Level 2
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Hello, my checkin time set from 2pm till 10pm, i do charge extra for late check-in! Tonight my guests should come here at 10pm but i just got a message from them that they will be here only by 23.30, i have to leave and i have no one to ask to check tey in! If they dont get to the room would i have to loose my money and pay them back or is it ok that i leave and they will loose they money? I know its the triky situation but i have to leave and really cant do anything about that! Please help me with the answer asap!

Why are they late? Flight delay? Were they made aware that you have to go somewhere tonight?

I'm not sure what the policy is. I'd call airbnb and ask. Is there a friend you can call to meet them?

Alex491
Level 2

Hello thank you for reply. 

They did know that i have time max till 10pm, they say they plane is delay! I have no one to ask for help as everyone i now on holidays or out of the city due to nice weather!

I would hide a key for them, if you feel comfortable with that. Flight delays weren't their fault. If not, give Airbnb a call and see if they can cancel on your behalf. THey are afterall past the window. I've had instances where I was about to cancel a late guest and Airbnb was willing to pay for their hotel. Maybe they'd do the same here. 

And keep calling until you get a nice representative. THe level of service varies SOOO much. I get some reps that get it and others that are totally useless. 

Alex491
Level 2

Thank you for yoru reply. Unfortunately i live in the very central street and no way to hide the keys((

Thank you for your advise very kind of you

Regards

@Helen0

Honestly........if guests don't arrive when they say they will, I would just leave and let them wait for me to come back. 

If they can't be bothered enough to provide accurate ETA info, then they can call me when they arrive, and wait for me to show up. 

This is what I do with friends or family or other people I have appointments with - and I would treat my guests exactly the same. 

Nicola319
Level 2
Armadale, United Kingdom

My last check in time is 9pm as I have kids and other guests here. The guests told me they would be here between 6 and 9 pm it's 9.45 and I've emailed and had no response. I run a b&b and I'm now back up very early to do breakfasts and my other guests have an early start at work. Do I just go to bed and forget about them or do I stay up until what ever hour they feel like arriving? 

@Nicola319

I get the odd no shows, through AirBnB they have all been single nighters who I assume have not been that bothered about a one night loss.

At a certain point you say no more and go to bed.

David

I have a hard time leaving someone high and dry without a place but there has to be a cutoff.

I have a sailboat in the ocean that I have to kayak to so they must arrive before dark. It says it a gazillion times in the listing.

For the most part, I havent had issues but occasionally people are extremely late. Flight issues are one thing if they are communicated but delays due to poor planning have a limit.

And I'm tired of the no WiFi excuse. Unless you are in the jungle the airport, coffee shop, bus station, fast food restaurants all have internet. Take two minutes to fire off a message that you are delayed... If they keep me waiting and communicate it...you bet it goes in the review. 

Barry54
Level 3
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom

I hope you went to bed!!
Beatrice258
Level 2
New Zealand

Hi the we have only been hosting for a few months and have put a key safe lock by the front door so guests can come any time after 3 pm. Then last night guests rang me at 10.40 pm saying couldnt get the code working. Said reset it they did, worked in now. Five minutes later my phone would have been turned off, but my wifes phone on all night. We axcept guests bookings same day up to 10 pm so our key safe was a great investment. 🙂

Elaine211
Level 1
Langport, United Kingdom

I can only say that it is reassuring to know that we are not alone.  We once were asked to extend a check in time to 10.00pm.  We said, hay, lets agree mid-night to give you a bit more flexibility.  The guest arrived at 1.30am!  We then got a bad review.  Guests alway seem to suggest I am rude when things do not go entirely there way.  I am just not able to take being pushed around well.   It is getting a bit tedidous.  You never know what challenge is ahead >

Elaine x

Laura846
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I had a family of three who reserved the main floor bedroom and bath and then asked for an early check in at 8:30 am.  I pointed out that they were essentially asking for a free night because it would not be possible to have a guest the night before and clean the room by 8:30.  I suggested that they could reserve the room for the previous night for half price.  No.  My cleaner came the day before so I told the guests that I would be there between 8:30 and 10:30 am to check them in.  They came about 9:30..  I assumed they would check in and freshen up and go on their way but no, they wanted to use the kitchen.  I had planned a big day of cooking so that was not going to work.  And, they were planning to use the kitchen to prepare a dinner that evening for the three of them and their son who lives in the area.  My house rules clearly state that guests can use the kitchen for simple breakfasts and might be able to have a simple dinner if requested in advance.  Of course, Airbnb rules prohibit unregistered guests from using the property.  I offered to cook some eggs for them since I was cooking some for myself but they turned that down as well.  I went through the rules with them and pointed out that I had done them a favor.  I offered to let them have their dinner but pointed out that I would be doing them another favor.  They ended up going out to dinner which was a relief.  I wish guests would read the house rules before they arrive, and I am tired of guests who repeatedly push the limits.